Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D printer / kit - $300 to spend Today - what say you?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3D printer / kit - $300 to spend Today - what say you?

If you had $300 dollar budget and wanted to order a printer kit today that's descent, and can be upgraded as you go to make it even better, what would you buy?

Kits are fine, dont mind tinkering and learning.

Does such a thing exist, in your humble opinions, or should i just wait a bit and add more to the budget?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 3D printer / kit - $300 to spend Today - what say you?

Depends if you want to constantly monitor/calibrate. The kits are great and in many cases are as capable of a high dollar printer. Just depends on if you are OK with doing adjustments and are OK with a few bad prints...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012: 24 channels with 1 Renardss24 * 2013: 48 channels with 2 Renardss24's * 2014: Took the year off * 2015: Life Got in the Way
    2016: 1000 Channels for Halloween, mix of A/C, RGB, Pixels. Christmas over 17 universes, all Pixels, oh boy...

Post Thanks / Like

Saving for the Monoprice V2 myself, just a bit over that $200 range, self leveling and heated bed seem to be big improvements to invest in, this V2 has them upfront.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased an Anet A8 printer earlier this year. It took me four days to assemble. It also took as long to get it adjusted. Yes, I have had some bad prints. I can agree with shaggy, there is a learning curve to 3D printing. Just like learning to sequence, you figure out what works for you. What I like about my printer is that I put it together, I know what went where. There are many printable upgrades to the printer. I spent the last three weeks printing up upgrade parts to it. I figured while I was getting good output, use it to get the parts done. I spent this past weekend installing most all of my add-ons. I now need to go back and re-setup the printer, level, and calibrate. By taking the time I know what to do when things go wrong, I hope. This printer is the right one for me. I have improved it, upgraded it, and have already designed one of my own parts. I have more to learn, but all of that is the fun part of it. The $180.00 price was not bad either.

My recommendation
    http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-...43.html?wid=21

Post Thanks / Like

There are quite a few sub $300 kits that are good.

My first 3D printer was the older model of this kit (direct & ebay link.. sometimes one is cheaper then the other)
    https://folgertech.com/products/folg...3d-printer-kit
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folger-Tech-...-/231572342806
    (They are located in New Hampshire.. so it doesn't have to ship from China)

Google 'Folger Tech' and check the reviews... I've always had great service/support from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh65 View Post
    I purchased an Anet A8 printer earlier this year. It took me four days to assemble. It also took as long to get it adjusted. Yes, I have had some bad prints. I can agree with shaggy, there is a learning curve to 3D printing. Just like learning to sequence, you figure out what works for you. What I like about my printer is that I put it together, I know what went where. There are many printable upgrades to the printer. I spent the last three weeks printing up upgrade parts to it. I figured while I was getting good output, use it to get the parts done. I spent this past weekend installing most all of my add-ons. I now need to go back and re-setup the printer, level, and calibrate. By taking the time I know what to do when things go wrong, I hope. This printer is the right one for me. I have improved it, upgraded it, and have already designed one of my own parts. I have more to learn, but all of that is the fun part of it. The $180.00 price was not bad either.

My recommendation
    http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-...43.html?wid=21
    That's a pretty cool printer. I am not in the market for one, but if I had time, I would have to seriously consider it. Nice recommendation!
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

$300 including tax and shipping? What about a couple spools of filament? For $410, I will have a Monoprice Maker Select v2 and three 1kg spools of filament delivered to my house within two days. Just ordered last night and expect delivery tomorrow.
    Kevin

2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arw01 View Post
    Saving for the Monoprice V2 myself, just a bit over that $200 range, self leveling and heated bed seem to be big improvements to invest in, this V2 has them upfront.
    Is this one of the new line of printers you are referring to? Or their maker select v2.1? The maker select does not have self leveling, the 2.1 runs around $315 and the maker select plus around $400.

If you have a microcenter around you, they are selling their own rebranded wanhao duplicator i3, their 'version' of the plus is $350, their 'version' o fthe 2.1 is $300, they do not ship though

Post Thanks / Like

I have a box sitting in my living room. I had one of these delivered today.
    I paid just over $300 ($305) but it has a stainless steel frame and dual extruders. Free shiiping, single extruder is cheaper and can ship from US.
    Zonestar

Post Thanks / Like

I also purchased the Anet A8 printer kit but from a rep (Tiffany Tao) from Anet via the A8 facebook support group. Some good and bad reviews about gearbest, but it is coming from China - and some have said they were charged more because the spec'd shipping carrier has a problem and ask you to pay more for DHL delivery (1-4 weeks delivery depending on where it is shipped from). Other options are to buy an A8 from ebay, but some had gotten a Troxy 3d printer (a clone of the A8, which is still a clone of a Prusa i3)

Overall I like my A8. I am also learning, printing upgrades and other things. There is one problem so far that seems to come up all the time about this printer, it is cheap, and it has a bit of a fire danger. So corners were cut on electrical connections, some say the connectors are not rated for the volts/amperage that is required for the heatbed. so you buy a Mosfet, larger gauge wires. Some get DOA PSUs or a PSU that last a couple of hours before it sparks and goes dead.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast