Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Base Mount for Upright Really Big Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Base Mount for Upright Really Big Lights

Quote Originally Posted by didjareally View Post
    With the right setup and settings, printing those tabs in the original design should be doable although possibly not ideal. If you post the stl to it, I'll give it a go at printing this weekend.
    Here you go. Rename from PDF to STL file. Let me know what you find out and feel free to make any changes necessary. Looking forward to how this turns out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

"myoung84", I don't want to step on your toes or take away from what you have designed, but I have also designed and successfully printed a base mount for the Really Big Lights bulb. Mine has a few different variables to it. First, it is designed to be mounted on 3/8" rebar. Second, it is printed in 2 parts, to avoid having to print any support material (and then easily glued together). Last, I have 2 different types, one that is a standard mount, and the second which is designed to have a small piece of PVC mount to the top/inside part of it (for attaching pixel modules to). Please let me know if you want me to share it with the group.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the second design looks very solid and would hold up to being hit/bumped. The lower overhangs minimize support requirements.

Now, combine that with an interior interchangable part to hold various pixel types and I think you have a solid system here.

Suggestions for an interior piece:
    1 - accept a piece of 1/2" PVC so user could use it with simple wire ties
    2 - Mount for clipping 3 and 4 12mm bullet pixels (2 different options)
    3 - Mount for clipping 3 and 4 12mm square pixels(2 different options)
    4 - Mount for holding 3LED pixel modules

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I think the second design looks very solid and would hold up to being hit/bumped. The lower overhangs minimize support requirements.

Now, combine that with an interior interchangable part to hold various pixel types and I think you have a solid system here.

Suggestions for an interior piece:
    1 - accept a piece of 1/2" PVC so user could use it with simple wire ties
    2 - Mount for clipping 3 and 4 12mm bullet pixels (2 different options)
    3 - Mount for clipping 3 and 4 12mm square pixels(2 different options)
    4 - Mount for holding 3LED pixel modules
    Sounds good. I will post it up in here on Sunday, when I get back home. The one part that is not 100% done yet is the size/shape of the hole for the wires to go through. I am going to be using pixel modules attached to a 1/2" PVC (inside the bulb), but not 100% sure how big to make the opening until I get my wiring put together. As far as making "Mount for clipping 3 and 4 12mm bullet & square pixels", or "Mount for holding 3LED pixel modules", is there 3D designs for these mounts available?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by compfire View Post
    "myoung84", I don't want to step on your toes or take away from what you have designed, but I have also designed and successfully printed a base mount for the Really Big Lights bulb. Mine has a few different variables to it. First, it is designed to be mounted on 3/8" rebar. Second, it is printed in 2 parts, to avoid having to print any support material (and then easily glued together). Last, I have 2 different types, one that is a standard mount, and the second which is designed to have a small piece of PVC mount to the top/inside part of it (for attaching pixel modules to). Please let me know if you want me to share it with the group.
    Make a new thread and post them up, a couple months from a 3d printer, but would like to take a look at this too. The costs of the adapters and such, the extra pvc, painting it all add up to quite an addition in cost vs a piece of rebar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arw01 View Post
    Make a new thread and post them up, a couple months from a 3d printer, but would like to take a look at this too. The costs of the adapters and such, the extra pvc, painting it all add up to quite an addition in cost vs a piece of rebar.
    Will do, not sure if it needs to be in a new thread or not, since it is the same topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by compfire View Post
    Absolutely post it up, I'm looking forward to seeing it. As I mentioned, I zero experience with printing so the parts I came up are just a guess at it. I don't think it needs a new thread, it's still a 3d printed base.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by myoung84 View Post
    Absolutely post it up, I'm looking forward to seeing it. As I mentioned, I zero experience with printing so the parts I came up are just a guess at it. I don't think it needs a new thread, it's still a 3d printed base.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I will make a new thread, and try to get it posted up on Sunday when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while since I 3D printed anything, but I recall this being a feature of the slicing software. It's smart enough to know where it needs to build supports (similar to fill structure) and puts them in on your behalf. Is that not the case?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
    It's been a while since I 3D printed anything, but I recall this being a feature of the slicing software. It's smart enough to know where it needs to build supports (similar to fill structure) and puts them in on your behalf. Is that not the case?
    You can do a support to take care of over hang issues, but then you have to go back and clean it up. The models I made can be printed without any support. The tabs do have some over hang, but the printer can make it without any problems.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast