Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Base Mount for Upright Really Big Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Base Mount for Upright Really Big Lights

I've posted some early revisions to this in the big RBL thread but thought I'd start a new thread. Here's my solution to mounting the RBL's upright rather than hanging from the provided hook. I don't have a printer yet (waiting for Monoprice to release the new models) so I don't know how well this will print or if it will work, but I think it's very close. This should snap into the RBL base in place of the hook. The bottom hole is sized for 1/2" EMT with an 1/8" hole for a set screw. There's a single cable raceway for two cables to run straight down the back of the EMT to the ground and on to the next light.

What do you think? Anyone else plan on using the RBL's in the way?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes boyelroy11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Base Mount for Upright Really Big Lights

First issue is going to be the overhang on the tabs. This is something that new designers forget about frequently.

3D printers can't print in mid air and thats exactly what you are asking it to do with the top tabs. Yes you can add supports but thats a lot of support material to build up from the bed and its wasted filament and print time.

I don't have any RBLs so I am not sure what problem you are attempting to solve so I can't offer a direct solution other than maybe look at it from a different angle and see if the design could be altered to eliminate the need for supports as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Base Mount for Upright Really Big Lights

Deleted.
    Last edited by 4586shaggy; 01-25-2017 at 06:18 PM.
    2012: 24 channels with 1 Renardss24 * 2013: 48 channels with 2 Renardss24's * 2014: Took the year off * 2015: Life Got in the Way
    2016: 1000 Channels for Halloween, mix of A/C, RGB, Pixels. Christmas over 17 universes, all Pixels, oh boy...

Post Thanks / Like

I know what he is trying to do. And I know what RBLs are and that they hang from hooks. I have seen them, just didn't buy any because they were a bit pricy and no white in stock at HD. Since I don't know what they look like inside (short of a cursory unscrewing of the bulb standing in HD's isle), I am not sure where this part is supposed to go nor what it clips onto with the tabs or what surrounds the area it goes in/on.

However, most of that is not relevant. Its his design and I was only mentioning some pitfalls when designing for 3D printing. Designing for injection molding has pitfalls as well as designing for CNC milling. Each has its problems due to the manufacturing method involved. Overhangs are no problem for injection or CNC. Closed hollow areas are problems for injection and CNC but not for 3d printing. Perfectly straight sides can be an issue for injection but not for CNC or 3d printing. The point is, you need to know how something is made in order to make the best design for that process.

One option is to rotate the piece 180 so the tabs face down. Now what do you do with the giant flat area? Can that be turned into a dome rather than flat? I don't know because I am unfamiliar with the guts in the RBL its supposed to mate to. But I bet he does

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but i think Wolfie nailed it That will take a ton of support material to print.. Best bet is to flip it over and fill as much of the (now Bottom) as you can still allowing it to twist into the cap... Or you'd have to put an angle on those taps so they will actually print

Post Thanks / Like

You could also make a socket for the clips in the base, and then print the clips so they snap into the socket in the base and can have the angle shape since you can print them on their backs now.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the feedback! This is my first 3d project and I'm still learning. I did think about the overhang but wasn't sure what the printer would do with it. Didn't know if it would print a step up to it or just not print at all. I like the idea of the socket and printing the tabs separately or I could add an angle to the bottom side and manually trim it after printing.

I don't know how well flipping it would work but I'll give it a shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. There are plenty of options. Multiple prints is certainly one of them.

Not saying its a bad design nor saying it doesn't solve the problem in the first place. And yes, it could be printed as is. Just saing that maybe looking at it in the light of actually printing it is in order. There are thousands of designs on thingiverse that are either impossible or really a PITA to print that could be modified in slight ways and solve all that headache and wasted print time and filament.

When at all possible, my designs can generally be printed without supports. Or if supports are needed, I rarely require a build up of great height from the platform. Again, if possible. Sometimes the shape can not be subjugated to force a no-support print. Not knowing how this piece fits into the RBL is blinding for me so its difficult to look at it and see easy fixes which may well be obvious to the OP once he looks at it and to others here that may have a clear knowledge of the interior.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some pics of the RBLs of you don't mind offering some insight. Not including the top clips which are an issue, would the rest of this print OK without supports? I don't know a what's possible on angle build up like the top portion of this design. I could easily make it a solid cone. I'm about as new as it gets in 3d printing at this point and without a printer to play with, it's tough to know what's possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by myoung84; 01-25-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think about this clip revision? Can the printer handle this angle?

I also thought about another solution, printing it with some alignment posts and epoxy them in. It's not like I'll need to remove them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast