Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 50% Vs. 100%: ws2811 Power Draw Measurements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 50% Vs. 100%: ws2811 Power Draw Measurements

Chiming in -

I have run GECE for the past 7 years. As my design/display evolved, I ran into issues about voltage drop, refresh speed, etc. The OEM controller already limited the maximum intensity (brightness) - presumably to reduce "far-node pinking". I've been running at half that value, and my megatree still appears *very* bright.

Very subjective, but that's my $0.02

Post Thanks / Like

Left side 100% and right side 50%. Calibrated my eyes before taking the reading so i know what i am saying. ;-)
    How did I do?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to all this... so please bare with me.

On the note of power measurement...

What would be the most accurate method for measuring the power consumption of a display over an hour or even an evening? One could extrapolate the measurements observed here but that wouldn't really be accurate as these displays flash and blink. They're not always on... so extrapolation won't be accurate.

Do these controllers have the ability to log/record the power consumption?

Would a person measure at the 120V plug? At each power injection? At the controller? At each pixel? Is it even possible to get remotely accurate?

Trying to figure out how to answer my "power consumption conscious" neighbour when he asks about my new display this year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Is your neighbor smart? If not just make something up that sounds impressive

Ok, with that out of the way, on to a serious answer. There are several options depending on the size of your display. If you plug your entire display into one, or a few outlets, just pick up one or several killwatt units for $20 each. If your display is much larger, you can run thru your loop of songs several times with your controllers plugged one at a time into a single killawatt. For instance, let's say you have 10 songs that run 20 minutes. If you have six controllers, you would run thru your 10 songs six times, with one controller plugged into the killawatt at a time. Track kWh for each controller for your 20 minute loop, add that up, multiply it by your show length. Problem solved.

Louie

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345