Thread: question on GECE G90 Pathway lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default question on GECE G90 Pathway lights

I have several strings of the GECE G90 Pathway lights that I'm controlling via a Falcon F4V2 board. Each string is 8 bulbs, but there's no obvious way to string them together as the very last bulb has no output. Is the only option to cut the last bulb, throw it out, and connect the 7th bulb to the next string? Or can these strings not even be linked together? I would like to connect between 35 and 40 bulbs together on a single string / output to the F4V2. Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: question on GECE G90 Pathway lights

There is no easier way to connect multiple strings together then to cut the last bulb as you indicated. The pathway GECE's are the same protocol as the G35 and newer G28 strings with a maximum length of 63. As you may know, GE had the color effects made for them in string counts of 50, 25, 36, 20 (for the icicles), 8 (pathway) and 48 for their wire frame products.
    If I recall, the pathway G90's are spaced at 12"on center. A string length of 40 bulbs may require power injection if using all white in your display.
    Chuck P
    nothing to show

Post Thanks / Like

You *can* open the base of the last bulb in the string, remove the sealant and solder the next string on. You'll need to re-waterproof when you are done.

A tip: the potting material gets soft and easier to peel off if you heat it slightly with a hair dryer or heat gun. Don't get them too hot, or you'll deform the base.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scottn3xcc View Post
    You *can* open the base of the last bulb in the string, remove the sealant and solder the next string on. You'll need to re-waterproof when you are done.

A tip: the potting material gets soft and easier to peel off if you heat it slightly with a hair dryer or heat gun. Don't get them too hot, or you'll deform the base.

I would be very leary of doing this, several people have tried and had problems. I'd cut off the end to add on and have lots of spares for the end bulb or use them on top of a mini tree or something.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

I have about 15 strings that I have done this with and have had zero problems for the past two years. I have also replaced faulty pixels using this same method.

I guess the level of success would depend on how well you seal them up. I simply filled them with RTV silicone.

Post Thanks / Like

Not splicing related since the other posts pretty much covered it, but this was the first year I had splice a string of 50 g60 pathways together. I was having flickering issues . After trouleshooting and cutting the string up it wound up being a voltage drop issue. The spacing on a the g60s is greater than the regular 50ct gece strings so I had to inject power. Just FYI if you run in to the same issue if you do splice them together. Fwiw, my recommendation is cutting off the end pixel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the responses. I have cut the last one off, but did open it up. Looks a little tedious (but still do-able) to add some connecting wires. Either way, I think I will keep them as Skunberg suggested. I appreciate the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies for high jacking this old thread. I have two strings of the G-90 and would like to use a ESPixelStick to control them via wifi. So, do I just cut the wire at the GE controller and wire my ESPixelStick (esp-8266) there. What is wire diagram, which side is +/-, the middle should be data line. From the understanding of this thread, I would need to cut last one if I want to connect them together.

Post Thanks / Like

Plus is smooth outer wire. Minus is the one with ridges on the other side. Data in the middle.