Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vixen on Win 7 Home Premium x64

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen on Win 7 Home Premium x64

If you define a serial output device (generic serial, renard, dmx pro, etc) and assign it to a com port that doesn't exist, it will definitely throw errors.

I doubt the relay is going to work with the generic serial output. It's not that "generic". It's still going to spit out a bytestream of all of the channels it's defined for. The only thing generic about it is that you get to adjust the header and footer. It's not likely what the relay needs to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Well If the relay doesn't work directly with Vixen, I may just figure out how to set it up for a timer function, since they aren't turning on and off rapidly, they are just a fancy way of controlling lights that stay on during the show and some that stay on beyond the completion of the show for a few hours. It's convenient to use Vixen to schedule all of the lights in one place, which is what I'm hoping to be able to maintain. Figured the relay board wasn't all that expensive and I may still be able to make it work from the same PC, just maybe not within Vixen. We'll see, it should be here tomorrow though I probably won't get to it until Wednesday night.

Post Thanks / Like

For that, you can probably use a command controller to spit data out the port and custom value effects to define the data to send.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I will admit to not reading the whole thread but if the latest question is how to control a relay from vixen, put an arduino in between. The sketch (program) can be adapted to do almost anything you want and is inexpensive. You can use it with renard protocol over serial if that is what you are hoping or you can do generic serial.

Post Thanks / Like

So I got the 4 port serial relay card working - sorta. It responds and I can get the relays to turn on and off, but not reliably. I'll need to do a little more research on this relay board and figure out the serial port settings, also not sure if I need the header or footer to be sent for this or what that should be. I've only tried changing the baud rate and it seems to be best with the highest setting of 57600. It seems promising in that I am at least able to control them, they just don't turn off every time I unselect the channel in the channel test, or turn on every time, sometimes it cycles on and off right away when selecting the channel or a different channel comes on than the one that should. I have it assigned to channels 153-156 in my output plugin setup, which would be the first 4 ports of my parallel port config. I'll try and figure it out tomorrow night if I can get some time to play with it more.

Post Thanks / Like

What commands does your module expect to see? Does it look anything like what the generic serial plugin is sending?

Post Thanks / Like

The relay module I bought is a SainSmart 4 port serial relay, and it appears the port should be configured for 9600 baud. I'm having a little difficulty finding better documentation on this particular module other than at the bottom of this link: https://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-...tch-board.html it shows the serial communication byte control (of course this is for the 2 port version). I'm going to connect the com port out into another PC to analyze the output from vixen to see how its sending the commands out the serial port, maybe get an idea of why the relay module is acting the way it is.

Post Thanks / Like

The comm protocol for that relay is right on the product page you linked. This will definitely NOT work with the vixen generic serial output. It's also not going to work with the other command controller method I hinted at earlier.

This whole board is controlled with one byte. Of that one byte, the 4 MSB must be 0, and the 4 LSB correspond with the state of the 4 relays on the board. You need to think in binary for it to make sense.
    1 on: 0000 0001 = 01h = 1d
    2 On: 0000 0010 = 02h = 2d
    3 On: 0000 0100 = 04h = 4d
    4 On: 0000 1000 = 08h = 8d
    all off: 0000 0000 =00h = 0d

the way you turn on more than one relay is to add the values above.
    1 and 2 on 0000 0001 + 0000 0010 = 01 + 02 = 3
    1 and 4 on 0000 0001 + 0000 1000 = 01 + 08 = 9
    all 4 on 0000 1111 = 0Fh = 15d

note that with this board, all values will be only 4 bits (half a byte), so they will never have a value higher than 15. This also means that the hex and decimal values will always be the same when the value is 0-9 and then 0A thru 0F hex correspond with 10-15 decimal

Generic serial on the other hand sends one byte per channel, plus user definable header and footer. It sends then in a serial stream. If you set up a generic serial controller with 4 channels, and set up a header of "HD" and footer of "FT", the output stream will look like 48 44 00 00 00 00 46 54 (in hex). 48 is the hex value of H, 44 is the hex value of D. The 4 bytes showing as 00 are the values for the 4 outputs. The intensity of the effect on that element will determine these values at any point in time.
    So if you feed this to your relay board, each one of these bytes will be interpreted as a new command for the whole board. I have no idea what will happen if you send it a value higher than 15. It could be that it ignores it completely, or more likely is that it would ignore the irrelevant bits, and use the ones that it knows about. so for example ASCII H is 48, which is 0011 0000. That would likely be an all off. 44 on the other hand (D) is 0010 1100 which would likely turn on relays 3 and 4.

While you could use blank headers and footers, There's no way to have vixen multiplex multiple elements into a single output channel. THe only way to make this do what you want it to use a single element, and a single output on the output module, and then manually multiplex the data into the one effect and put that value in at any given time. In other words, it's not going to happen. This is the wrong tool for the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I should have done a little more research prior to purchasing. I'm returning the serial relay card, at this point I'm likely to re purpose a Renard 8 channel controller and run it on its own serial port off the PC.

Thanks for all the info, I had no idea the serial interface would be so complex and completely different between Vixen and the relay card.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
    Guess I should have done a little more research prior to purchasing. I'm returning the serial relay card, at this point I'm likely to re purpose a Renard 8 channel controller and run it on its own serial port off the PC.

Thanks for all the info, I had no idea the serial interface would be so complex and completely different between Vixen and the relay card.
    Thank you for making me do the research. Now I have a good cheap way to do serial based relay control for non-blinky related stuff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast