Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: New Monoprice 3D printers on the way..

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Monoprice 3D printers on the way..

    Quote Originally Posted by toozie21 View Post
    What are your thoughts on this unit? I am a little worried as to why they are going to indiegogo to fund this.... After watching Pebble keep having to go back to the funding well and then sell for pennies on the dollar and everyone realizing they had no money, why is MP not able to just sell it outright?

    This article touches on a possible explanation, but who really knows

    http://hackaday.com/2017/05/17/monop...-on-indiegogo/

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Monoprice 3D printers on the way..

    Quote Originally Posted by toozie21 View Post
    What are your thoughts on this unit? I am a little worried as to why they are going to indiegogo to fund this.... After watching Pebble keep having to go back to the funding well and then sell for pennies on the dollar and everyone realizing they had no money, why is MP not able to just sell it outright?

    That said, it is REALLY tempting at that early price!!!!! Besides the filament, what else would need to be bought to be up and running (I get the impression that there is enough free software out there that is good enough that you don't need to pay for that)?
    First.. Monoprice has been in buisness for over 15 years. Its not quite fair to compair them to pebble

    Second.. Monoprice doesn't manufacture these printers. They are existing printers that get rebranded to the Monoprice 'Maker Select' label. As the MS printers got more popular Monoprice started requesting custom changes but at the 'core', these are existing 3D printers.

    (does this look familiar? http://malyansys.com/en/product/m200/ )

    So to answer your question, spending $160 on the MP Mini Delta is a safe bet for the money. They are going to sell out of these printers faster then they can keep them in stock. Its probably why they are doing the Indiegogo... crazy people like me will spend the $160 now and wait until Augest to get the machine. During that time they can judge the marked and figure out how many order on the next batch.

    3D printing is a new and quick changing market... the last thing you want is a warehouse full of old tech 3d printers. You'll notice that most of Monoprice's 3D printers go out of stock often. They only seem to order what they know will sell.

    Heated bed, auto leveling, wifi, color screen, all metal frame... all for only $160. (plus.. i think delta printers are cool to watch )

    The negitives of this printer: Build volume (after a while you will want more size.. its just a fact). The bowden extruder will not handle flexible fillament.

    For me, i placed my order just because for $160 it will make an awesome desk-top-toy at work

  3. Thanks kychristmas thanked for this post
    Likes kychristmas liked this post
  4. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    880
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Monoprice 3D printers on the way..

    I am excited to get my first printer in. My birthday is in AUG, so I figured I would get myself a little gift . I did some research before the plunge and was pretty happy with everyone's nearly positive comments on the devices and knew about the rebranding, I was just a little confused by the crowdfunding. But your point does make good sense. Some of the prints in the video look a little rough, but at that cost point, it can't be perfect (plus they can be sanded down a bit after the fact, right?)!

    Should I pick up some material now to have on hand, or wait for some reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    First.. Monoprice has been in buisness for over 15 years. Its not quite fair to compair them to pebble

    Second.. Monoprice doesn't manufacture these printers. They are existing printers that get rebranded to the Monoprice 'Maker Select' label. As the MS printers got more popular Monoprice started requesting custom changes but at the 'core', these are existing 3D printers.

    (does this look familiar? http://malyansys.com/en/product/m200/ )

    So to answer your question, spending $160 on the MP Mini Delta is a safe bet for the money. They are going to sell out of these printers faster then they can keep them in stock. Its probably why they are doing the Indiegogo... crazy people like me will spend the $160 now and wait until Augest to get the machine. During that time they can judge the marked and figure out how many order on the next batch.

    3D printing is a new and quick changing market... the last thing you want is a warehouse full of old tech 3d printers. You'll notice that most of Monoprice's 3D printers go out of stock often. They only seem to order what they know will sell.

    Heated bed, auto leveling, wifi, color screen, all metal frame... all for only $160. (plus.. i think delta printers are cool to watch )

    The negitives of this printer: Build volume (after a while you will want more size.. its just a fact). The bowden extruder will not handle flexible fillament.

    For me, i placed my order just because for $160 it will make an awesome desk-top-toy at work
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Monoprice 3D printers on the way..

    Quote Originally Posted by toozie21 View Post
    Should I pick up some material now to have on hand, or wait for some reason?
    You will never have enough filament, so why not start now?

    However, keep in mind most filament types will absorb moisture out of the air. You need to store them in a dry/safe place (google 'filament storage ideas'). I would leave them in the vacuum sealed bags until your ready to print.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Mitchell, KY (Cincinnati Area)
    Posts
    3,904
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Monoprice 3D printers on the way..

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    First.. Monoprice has been in buisness for over 15 years. Its not quite fair to compair them to pebble

    Second.. Monoprice doesn't manufacture these printers. They are existing printers that get rebranded to the Monoprice 'Maker Select' label. As the MS printers got more popular Monoprice started requesting custom changes but at the 'core', these are existing 3D printers.

    (does this look familiar? http://malyansys.com/en/product/m200/ )

    So to answer your question, spending $160 on the MP Mini Delta is a safe bet for the money. They are going to sell out of these printers faster then they can keep them in stock. Its probably why they are doing the Indiegogo... crazy people like me will spend the $160 now and wait until Augest to get the machine. During that time they can judge the marked and figure out how many order on the next batch.

    3D printing is a new and quick changing market... the last thing you want is a warehouse full of old tech 3d printers. You'll notice that most of Monoprice's 3D printers go out of stock often. They only seem to order what they know will sell.

    Heated bed, auto leveling, wifi, color screen, all metal frame... all for only $160. (plus.. i think delta printers are cool to watch )

    The negitives of this printer: Build volume (after a while you will want more size.. its just a fact). The bowden extruder will not handle flexible fillament.

    For me, i placed my order just because for $160 it will make an awesome desk-top-toy at work
    No Doubt. I can't believe all the negative comments online. I have used Monoprice since they when they were mostly a Cabling and Audio Video company. With over 50 orders for myself and friends, I have almost no issues. The ones I did have were resolved quickly by customer service.

    I honestly think they used IndieGoGo as a way of doing a little addtional Marketing. That way they can leverage both their own history and "Crowd Funding" hysteria that works. Clearly, it was the right choice. By the end of the day, the Earliest Shipment options will be sold out. Probably within the month, All Pre-Orders will be sold. One other aspect of Crowd Funding sites is that they handle the Pre-Order concept very well. MP gives up a small percentage and they don't have to deal with Pre-Order/Back-Order processing. I cant' remember if I have ever been able to order something that was back ordered with them. I know they don't have that option on 3D Printers. So maybe their system doesn't handle it.

    Until this thread, I must admit, I never realized they had 3D Printers. I would basically go there and order my Speakers and Cables. Not sure how I missed it. I am new to 3D Printers, but CNC in general is something I have been doing for over 10 years. Even with the small build volume, I'm amazed at the features in this printer. I doubt very seriously, that MP would risk their reputation they have build in general and specifically with he success of their other 3D printers.
    No display again in 2016
    Just too much going on to get things going the way I want. So continuing the hiatus
    www.ChristmasInKentucky.com[/SIZE][/FONT]

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Westminter, MD
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Monoprice 3D printers on the way..

    Well threw my hat in and just ordered on Indiegogo. First project will be a square pixel vertical wireframe clip. August isn't too far away.

    -Greg

  8. Likes kychristmas liked this post
  9. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chambersburg, PA
    Posts
    409
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Monoprice 3D printers on the way..

    I went for it as well, but had to settle for a September Shipment. I should not have hesitated as I have been debating this for a couple of days. Oh well September will be fine.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •