Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: US source for enclosures for 20w flood light from RobG?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: US source for enclosures for 20w flood light from RobG?

I just received 10 enclosures that someone posted previously. Took apart and modified as follows:

1. Remove 4 screws and take off front bezel
    2. Run knife around silicon bead on glass sides and pull glass off back enclosure
    3. Remove 4 screws and take out reflector
    4. Remove 4 screws and take out the existing white pixel
    5. Use pliers to loosen existing power supply (siliconed or hot glued in place) and take it out with it's power cable and attached white pixel
    6. Put in the RobG 20-W pixel (put a little thermal grease on the back side of pixel and I also put some Kapton (or electrical) tape on enclosure under the board where the components are. There is a few mm clearance but just in case I did this extra step to prevent short to back side of enclosure. Also before mounting the board you would probably want to solder the cable(s) to it.
    7. Put 4 screws in to secure the board. RobG's board does use the same mounting hole spacing so it goes right in.
    8. Put reflecter back in and secure with 4 screws
    9. Put top glass back on and re-seal with a little silicon as needed (shouldn't take much)... before putting glass on I cleaned the inside glass and any excess silicon grease I saw with alcohol.
    10. Put top bezel back on and secure with the 4 larger screws

I got to tell you it looked good when I was testing the board before putting in enclosure but I think it's even better now with reflector and glass! Only thing I haven't decided is what pigtail connector(s) to use. I guess I need and In & Out for daisy chaining a few of these together. I got 6 to build and they will probably be placed at different levels (2 on ground and 4 up higher so I'll probably use 2 24V supplies). Haven't sealed it up until I get the pigtails but they look great and I've been wanting to add floods and having pixel floods now was worth the wait!

I'm writing this up because I got the boards which was easy and then didn't have any ideas about the enclosure part until I found this thread... so maybe this will help someone out there doing the same thing.

eBay item 152510752392

In photos I'm testing so just have a cable to my controller (no pigtail yet0 and I just slipped part of the action-static bag under the board to protect from short.

20W Flood Enclosure.png

Flood Enclosure Apart.png

Flood Enclosure Board Mounted.png
    Last edited by harpster; 03-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.

2. Thanks Chris A thanked for this post
    Likes Chris A, astrosnapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: US source for enclosures for 20w flood light from RobG?

Quote Originally Posted by harpster View Post
    I just received 10 enclosures that someone posted previously. Took apart and modified as follows:

1. Remove 4 screws and take off front bezel
    2. Run knife around silicon bead on glass sides and pull glass off back enclosure
    3. Remove 4 screws and take out reflector
    4. Remove 4 screws and take out the existing white pixel
    5. Use pliers to loosen existing power supply (siliconed or hot glued in place) and take it out with it's power cable and attached white pixel
    6. Put in the RobG 20-W pixel (put a little thermal grease on the back side of pixel and I also put some Kapton (or electrical) tape on enclosure under the board where the components are. There is a few mm clearance but just in case I did this extra step to prevent short to back side of enclosure. Also before mounting the board you would probably want to solder the cable(s) to it.
    7. Put 4 screws in to secure the board. RobG's board does use the same mounting hole spacing so it goes right in.
    8. Put reflecter back in and secure with 4 screws
    9. Put top glass back on and re-seal with a little silicon as needed (shouldn't take much)... before putting glass on I cleaned the inside glass and any excess silicon grease I saw with alcohol.
    10. Put top bezel back on and secure with the 4 larger screws

I got to tell you it looked good when I was testing the board before putting in enclosure but I think it's even better now with reflector and glass! Only thing I haven't decided is what pigtail connector(s) to use. I guess I need and In & Out for daisy chaining a few of these together. I got 6 to build and they will probably be placed at different levels (2 on ground and 4 up higher so I'll probably use 2 24V supplies). Haven't sealed it up until I get the pigtails but they look great and I've been wanting to add floods and having pixel floods now was worth the wait!

I'm writing this up because I got the boards which was easy and then didn't have any ideas about the enclosure part until I found this thread... so maybe this will help someone out there doing the same thing.

eBay item 152510752392

In photos I'm testing so just have a cable to my controller (no pigtail yet0 and I just slipped part of the action-static bag under the board to protect from short.

20W Flood Enclosure.png

Flood Enclosure Apart.png

Flood Enclosure Board Mounted.png
    Great info, thanks for sharing!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234