Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Pixels Under Eaves

Post Thanks / Like

Default Permanent Pixels Under Eaves

Hey gang, I am brand spanking new to the forum and large pixel arrangements. The existing wikis and forum resources have been a huge help in getting my bearings on this crazy world of huge pixel counts so thanks! I am starting into this thing with baby steps and, as the title suggests, I will kick it off with a permanent under-eave project so that I can do warm white year-round and transition to holiday schemes as needed.

My first area of confusion is what type of pixel to employ. I have a 90' foot run of eave I would like to cover but it seems like even a low pixel density string (say, 20 pixels per meter) would have a huge max. amperage draw. Granted, I won't be consuming max at all times but still. Is there something I am missing? Figuring out how to get 30 - 40 amps worth of juice seems daunting.

The second question, I think, is a litte easier. Are there any specific advantages to bullet type pixels that would trump the easy installation of square pixels? It seems to me the square pixel is the obvious choice for a permanent mount but I'd rather not assume anything.

Cheers!
    Argento

2. Thanks Maverick45 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Permanent Pixels Under Eaves

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...=Project+house

That link is a nice step by step how Dave installed his year round pixels. In the daytime you can't see his lights unless your up close.

4. Thanks Argento thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i was going to wait until tomorrow to post a reply when i had the 2nd pic, but i know how it is when you want an answer right away. i had the same issue earlier this year. prior to this year, i used cool white C9 led bulbs which i left up all year long, to replace them when i went into the pixel end of the pool, i ordered the pixabulbs that mimic the C9 look. BUT i wanted something more stealth, so i went with 12v bullet pixels. initially because of the distance i wanted to cover, 200 feet, i planned on 12" spacing but ended up settling on 6" spacing. i also shortened my total length to 150 feet. 50 feet on the 1st floor and 100 feet on the 2nd floor. for me, 6" spacing was plenty bright, and i probably would have been ok with 12" as i was wanting the house outlined traced and not brighten the entire house. with that, on my 1st floor at 50 feet at 6" spacing, it came out to 101 pixels and i didn't even need pwr injection. at your 90' with 6" spacing will yield about 180-182 pixels. you could probably inject 1/2 way and be ok. as far as what i used, this is where i owe you a pic and will get the finished install tomorrow. i used J-channel vinyl siding. fortunately for me, the beige J-channel matched my house so no need for painting. downside to J-channel was i had to drill a 1/2" hole for each node to go through and had to make a jig to fit my drill press. 315 holes total. upside to the J channel is that for 2017 i will run pwr from both sides and i can run a 14 awg wire through the J channel slot and keep it nice and tight and hidden. here is a pic of the nodes mounted inside the J channel. ill get you a pic of the installed J channel on the house tomorrow.

pixel eaves.jpg

6. Thanks Argento thanked for this post
    Likes Argento, Robo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn, that is a super clean setup in the vinyl rail. Where did you find the pixel strings with 6" spacing?

Post Thanks / Like

You can custom order 6" spacing from Ray Wu or Paul directly. I had a whole bunch of bullets and square done up in 6" and it's nice for coro items too.

At 12v you can go a couple hundred and feed power from both ends and normally be good, if you could punch in at 150 or so be even better.

I like the J channel idea and have considered doing something off the bottom of the facia wrap with square pixels, but I want more density.

Currenly use 30/10 strips in 3/4" pex. That can be pretty invisible too up tight to the soffits. I may look at this year in having some channel bent to a 45 and mounting Holiday Coro's aluminum with diffusion panels to it and put my strips permanently in there and perhaps go to a individual pixel strip to get more density.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Argento View Post
    Damn, that is a super clean setup in the vinyl rail. Where did you find the pixel strings with 6" spacing?
    i believe Holiday Coro carries 6" spacing. if you aren't planning on order alot of pixels, like 2000+, it probably won't beneficial to order direct? then again, the holiday starts tomorrow for the LED/PIXEL factories abroad. they will be shut down for 3-4 weeks. but if you got your order placed by the end of February, you would probably receive your order by the end of march which is still a couple of months faster than going through a US site. when you order direct, u can custom order any length you want. 5", 6" etc. only thing would recommend with longer runs despite the length between pixels is make sure you are requesting 18awg vs. 20awg. and while 5v pixels will save you a few cents, for eaves and house outlines 12v will get you a greater distance which means less pwr injection points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdj6107 View Post
    this is where i owe you a pic and will get the finished install tomorrow.
    I am super curious to see how this setup looks! Hint, hint, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious as well

Post Thanks / Like

1st pic is what the outline used to look like with cool white C9 bulbs. the 2nd pic is what i have now left side of 1st floor, 3rd pic is right side of 1st floor. under the eaves, out of direct sunlight and out of the rain. what worked out even better for me was the house has vinyl siding so the side of the J channel wedged perfectly between the house sofit and existing siding.

note: the j channel was 12.5 feet long as was available at my local lowes . i was able to get 24 nodes per piece. made it easier to keep track, just counted the number of full j-channel strips times 24 + the extra i had to add at the end for the perfect fit.

20161105_161430.jpg20170119_152222.jpg20170119_152232.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

sorry for the neck cramp. guess i should have rotated the pics before posting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast