Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for thoughts on shrubs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for thoughts on shrubs

Hey All,

I'm tossing the idea around of going with pixels on my house shrubs......none above 4 feet tall or wide.....

I'm thinking of using a mesh to evenly space the pixels and orient them toward the front.

Just curious is anyone is using pixels like that and if there's any feedback on how it looks versus dumb LED strings..... Obviously the color possibilities are there.... Just not sure about how the uniformity of pixels in a fixed mesh would look.....

Anyone who has played with variations on that theme please offer your insights....
    Last edited by Santacarl; 01-18-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for thoughts on shrubs

Keep in mind with xLights you don't need uniform pixels anymore if you don't want to.

You can put them on organically wherever it fits on the plant, and then do a "Generate Custom Models" to play a sequence to it, then capture a video recording of it and feed it back to xLight to build a grid prop out of the pixel positions.
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deonb View Post
    Keep in mind with xLights you don't need uniform pixels anymore if you don't want to.

You can put them on organically wherever it fits on the plant, and then do a "Generate Custom Models" to play a sequence to it, then capture a video recording of it and feed it back to xLight to build a grid prop out of the pixel positions.
    Wow...I had no idea...I also have no idea how to do what you describe!

Actually...one of the reasons I was thinking of using the mesh/grid idea was to simplify setup time.....the mesh/grid idea was something that I could drape over the shrub....plug and play....then at the end of the season, instead of spending a couple of hours winding up strings...instead just roll up the grid and be done in about 15 minutes....

But your description about generating custom models and recording it has me curious..... Has anyone done a tutorial or demo on how to do that?

Post Thanks / Like

Ray Wu will make you a net from bullet nodes if you want to save your thumbs. I think he may even have them as a standard item on his store now.

With regard to the custom model, did you seriously just ask if someone has done a tutorial ? There is a video. I believe you can find it on the XLights site, and the procedure may even be in the manual (don't have it in front of me). Essentially, you point your webcam at the prop, run the tool, and XLights captures the light positions and maps them to a custom model.
    Last edited by Kensington; 01-19-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deonb View Post

Something to consider, if you do random placement and the video mapping then you will have to do it every year as you probably aren't going to be able to place the pixels in the same spot as last year. It might not make a difference, but I would keep in the back of your mind.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    Ray Wu will make you a net from bullet nodes if you want to save your thumbs. I think he may even have them as a standard item on his store now.

With regard to the custom model, did you seriously just ask if someone has done a tutorial ? There is a video. I believe you can find it on the XLights site, and the procedure may even be in the manual (don't have it in front of me). Essentially, you point your webcam at the prop, run the tool, and XLights captures the light positions and maps them to a custom model.
    Yeah....just thought maybe someone had it bookmarked and could provide a link... I can't begin to tell you how much time I've burned going through tutorials in the hopes of finding THE one I was seeking.....

Webcam.....Ahhhh, well since I don't have one I guess that's the end of that idea....

Thanks for the idea on checking with Ray.... I didn't know he did ready made nets......

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of putting pixels on my shrubs and mostly treat them as dumb strings. The ability to generate an arbitrary model sounds interesting. I'll add that to my list of stuff to play with if I have time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Santacarl View Post
    Yeah....just thought maybe someone had it bookmarked and could provide a link...

Here is the video:
    https://vimeo.com/164128202

And description:
    http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php?topic=2905.0
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

Here are 12V square pixels in a 3" pix net from Holiday Coro ( i think Boscoyo also sells such a net).

My net is oriented horizontally and vertically. You could make them have a diamond pattern by rotating the mesh 45 degrees when you bulid the net. Setup and take down is literally less than a minute per bush.

*note. It looks ilke there are gaps in the colors because I have it on a random color in xlights and some of those colors are black because I wanted it to have a random appearing shape in this picture. There is also snow on the top.

Here is a picture of the pixels being pressed into the center bush net. Some nets I built more organically with shapes that more closely matched the bushes, but this one goes over a boxwood I'm going to train into a shape to match the mesh.

On my bushes I painted the nets (before putting in pixels) with a Rustoleum camo paint to make them blend in a bit more during the day:

10. Thanks deonb thanked for this post
    Likes deonb, Nathan815 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Verrous View Post
    Here are 12V square pixels in a 3" pix net from Holiday Coro ( i think Boscoyo also sells such a net).

My net is oriented horizontally and vertically. You could make them have a diamond pattern by rotating the mesh 45 degrees when you bulid the net. Setup and take down is literally less than a minute per bush.

*note. It looks ilke there are gaps in the colors because I have it on a random color in xlights and some of those colors are black because I wanted it to have a random appearing shape in this picture. There is also snow on the top.

Here is a picture of the pixels being pressed into the center bush net. Some nets I built more organically with shapes that more closely matched the bushes, but this one goes over a boxwood I'm going to train into a shape to match the mesh.

On my bushes I painted the nets (before putting in pixels) with a Rustoleum camo paint to make them blend in a bit more during the day:

Thanks for posting the pix..... I was trying to visualize what it would look like but didn't come very close once I look at an actual picture.....

Just curious....it looks like you built some sort of wire support cage.... What did you use to construct it? Does it come apart for storage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast