Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy 6' Spinner StarFlakes

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Easy 6' Spinner StarFlakes

I wanted to share an inexpensive element I was designing that will be created using Boscoyo pixel mounting strips, pixel nodes and non-metallic conduit.

The idea came from Matt Johnson's huge snowflakes and a project I did back in January 2013 called Easy LED Snowflake Spinners.

The wife wants to switch to all pixels for 2017 so I designed a 6' version of a spinner, star, and snowflake with pixels. I have named them Spinner StarFlakes.

The first part is 2 10' pieces of Sch 40 non-metallic conduit attached together to create a pvc circle about 237" in circumfrence which will give a diameter of about 75" or 6'3". $3.50

Then next part of the element is James's Boscoyo pixel mounting strips. I calculated about 8 strips but with waste lets say 9 or 10 to make sure there is enough. $14

The circle is divided by 6 with attachment points on the outside the ring and the center pixel hole with 2 levels of branches to make an inner and outer 6 point star.

This drawing is to scale with the appropriate amount of pixels spaced at 2".

Spinner StarFlake small.jpg

With grouping in software, this will function as a 12 spoke spinner, a large 6 point star, a small 6 point star and a snowflake with 6 spokes for Mike (Wolfie).
    Example of the nodes used for the snowflake grouping.

Spinner StarFlake Snowflake Only small.jpg

Total node count for this project with only 1 row of pixel nodes is 372. $112 (@ .30/node)

Grand total for this project $130 for a 6 foot pixel element.

I plant to build one and see if I like the single row of nodes. If I think it needs more I will make a parallel strip next to the current row to make it 2 pixels wide.

I will post more as I work on the project, give me some time, school is starting again.
    Brian

Help Support Do It Yourself Christmas.com
    For just 6 cents a day you can help someone with their Christmas Light Addiction Problem.
    Click here to Become a Supporting Member and help spread the CLAP!

Click here to show/hide my display details...

My Light Show Videos: http://vimeo.com/brianandheather

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Easy 6' Spinner StarFlakes

Hi, a fantastic idea. I am a big fan of this sort of thinking, if you're going pixel (as oposed to dumb) then get as much out of the prop as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

I like where this is going. Def looking forward to seeing come together.

Post Thanks / Like

Super idea with these! Multi-purpose for a bunch of things with one "frame".

Post Thanks / Like

Following

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it's time to fire up the 3D printer to make the odd-angle connectors.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scottn3xcc View Post
    I'd say it's time to fire up the 3D printer to make the odd-angle connectors.

I was just planning on using zip ties, the Boscoyo pixel mounting strips have 3 holes 1/8" holes every 1 inch.
    I will use these on the roof lying flat, the older LED ones I had over 3 years had 2 zip ties break, popped a new one on and good to go. I think I am going to wrap the strip around the outside ring and zip tie to itself as shown in the top left of the mounting methods here, although this is an older picture with only 2 1/8" holes.

Brian

Help Support Do It Yourself Christmas.com
    For just 6 cents a day you can help someone with their Christmas Light Addiction Problem.
    Click here to Become a Supporting Member and help spread the CLAP!

Click here to show/hide my display details...

My Light Show Videos: http://vimeo.com/brianandheather

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't even think of mixing technologies. 🙃

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome idea just think you are gonna need some support to keep the pvc round. I used two pieces of pvc as base for a 10' tree and it didn't hold shape. I used Ts instead of unions and ran a piece of 1/2 inch from side to side. Worked nice after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Go Brian!

I love this idea! Anytime i can wire and power something, and use it for multiple elements, is a huge bonus.

Does your pixel count include the outer circle, as well as the inside strips?

Post more, and i will post as well as soon as i start building,

Michael

11. Thanks sth2258 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast