Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nodes or ribbons for building a tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nodes or ribbons for building a tree

Anotther vote for Boscoyo mounting strips and nodes. Too many issues, potential and real, with strips. I had strips for my first tree pixel tree four years ago, never again.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

with mega trees, it seems as if boscoyo strips and nodes are the unanamous choice. when it comes to nodes and boscoyo strips, are square nodes better than round. and what is the standard/recommended spacing at the bottom of the tree between strips to render a good image scrolling across the tree?

Post Thanks / Like

I use only bullet nodes except in my Boscoyo snowflakes. I suspect the majority of folks use bullet nodes and not square nodes. To me square nodes are specialty nodes and not for the common items. They are for places where there is little room behind the prop for wires to stick out.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnealand View Post
    I use only bullet nodes except in my Boscoyo snowflakes. I suspect the majority of folks use bullet nodes and not square nodes. To me square nodes are specialty nodes and not for the common items. They are for places where there is little room behind the prop for wires to stick out.
    You are quite right more than likely in that most use bullets.

However, I feel you are mistaken with the use of squares vs bullets. I use bullets where I must. And only where I must. Usually in very tightly packed spaces or in coro items from James because square nodes do not fit in 10mm coro. If they did, I would be using square there too. The wires lay flatter. They don't put any weight out far from the mount point like bullets do. And the wires tend to come out sideways rather than sticking straight out. In most cases, bullets do not make as nice of an install as squares do. And strange as it may seem, I find that when handling loose strings during construction of props, strings of square nodes just tangle less than the bullet strings.

I made a conscious square nodes for my tree.

The strips coil and store easier. They lay flatter. Wires don't stick out like bullets do. The wires generally follow the line of the strip better than bullets. And when I make the hoops for a pumpkin, they will lay over the hoops where bullets will not.

I also chose to use them on my spider web/christmas spinner.

For the same reasons as I used them for the tree.

Honestly, if square pixels would have worked here, I wouldn't have needed to have such tall standoffs:

Not saying bullets are bad, just saying they are just another tool in your kit. When a prop has tightly packed pixels (like a grid or matrix like James' cause ribbon), they are absolutely better than square. But in many other cases, square wins.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfie,

I was looking at some of the pictures of your Mega Tree. It is beautiful. Did you post the details of it's construction somewhere?

Thanks,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

7. Thanks mikecentral thanked for this post
    Likes mikecentral liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am removing almost all of the strips from my show for 2017. Strips had a 2000% (yes two thousand) greater failure rate than my bullet nodes..

2016 adding a mega tree, 4 more candy canes, 3 spiral trees and a reindeer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12