Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nodes or ribbons for building a tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nodes or ribbons for building a tree

Hi everyone ,I'm new to using rgb lights so like normal I jump right in.I would like build a 10 foot or taller rgb tree but not sure what displays the best as far as ribbon or nodes? I'd like to show txt and pictures. I have (16) 5 m rolls of 2811 150 pixels. And I have (20) 50 node strings of 2811. Whichever ones I don't use I'm going to use somewere else.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nodes or ribbons for building a tree

I had a 10' mega tree this year using bullet nodes in pixels strips zip tied to 1/2" emt. It worked fine. The only thing I dislike about the 50/50 pixel strips is if a pixel goes bad, it's a lot more work to fix. I use them on things like arches and things you can take into the house to repair if there's a need.

3. Likes Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallionent View Post
    +1

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Square nodes from Ray with 2" spacing and Boscoyo Strips
    Last edited by rstehle; 01-11-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nodes in Boscoyo strips, hands down.

Ribbon will not survive being a tree very well. To hold them straight, you will have to hang and then tension them. Ribbons are rather fragile compared to nodes. Failures are a PITA to repair and will involve removing the ribbon from the silicone sleeve, cutting and replacing the segment. Then put the strip back in the sleeve and re-sealing the ends. And if you don't 110% seal the crap out of the top end, guess where water is going to go? Yea, right inside and STAY inside.

Ribbon is not durable. So you likely would want to attach it to something else that can be tensioned. At that point it becomes more work than nodes and Boscoyo strips.

So, no, unless the tree is only a couple feet tall, absolutely I would not remotely consider ribbon.

Post Thanks / Like

My personal preference for a pixel tree is the Node strings (not pixel strips).. 2" or 2.5" spacing gives a nice and even pixel density on a 10' tree with 16 strings/straps (180 deg tree) or 32 strings/straps (360 deg tree).

A 5M 150 light strip has 1.3" spacing between each light.. You'll need double the number of strips to create an even-spaced looking tree.

Its just my opinion, but i don't like the look of tree's that have uneven pixel density (lights are 1.3" spaced apart verticaly... but ~4" spaced apart horizontaly at the bottom)

Post Thanks / Like

My first tree was ribbons attached to node strips for support but now I use nodes because like someone mentioned if a pixel goes out in a ribbon it is PITA to fix

Post Thanks / Like

I would use the strip on the tree. I have a 16x5m strip tree and am happy with the results. I'm not a huge fan of strip but it works quite well for the application. I have extra rolls on standby in case I have issues. I just swap the 5m roll out. I made it thru the whole 2016 lighting season without needing to repair anything on it. I can swap a 5m strip out in 5 minutes or so. Waterproofing is very important if you go that route! The nodes you have will be easier to use on other parts of the display than the strip will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Both will work. The strips are "denser"--more LEDs per unit length---than nodes. I found the following over the last couple of years in using strips for megatrees--3m and smaller--strips work fine--5m and larger--my opinion is that strips are NOT a very good solution--I have had a really hard time keeping them straight on the EMT I have used as the "strands" of the tree--also the 12V strips are 3 LEDs/pixel, so they are in my opinion limited in terms of control--you only control every 3 LEDs per pixel--5V strips are available as 1 LED/pixel... I will be converting my 5m mega from strips to nodes this year, using Boscoyo strips; will probably use bullet nodes. When I start having failures of the strip-based pixels on my 3m tree, I will make the move from strips to nodes on that tree also. In general, I am going to migrate from strips to nodes in most places. I might use strips where they can be really well oriented--like in arches, windows, and the like. Oh one more thing. Strips are a pain to repair. Nodes are REALLY easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast