Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there higher voltage pixels?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are there higher voltage pixels?

I've been searching but so far I'm empty. Are there higher voltage (24V, 48V, 120V, etc.) pixels for sale anywhere with IC chips that are supported on Falcon boards?

Voltage drop is such a pain in the bum. I'd like to mitigate this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are there higher voltage pixels?

Not that I'm aware of. A few people here, even some big names like plasmadrive, run 24V and have buck converters in line to drop down to 5V at injection points.

I'd be hard pressed to believe someone would build higher than 12V native pixel. 12V is already terribly inefficient, costs more to make, is half as bright and wastes twice the power as 5V. Going higher than 12V just makes those much worse without some type of buck regulation in line.

EDIT Corrected
    Last edited by madsci1016; 01-10-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    www.billporter.info
    2014 Christmas: 1 Channel; a new house and a crazy plan.
    2015 Halloween: 2500 Channels; 3 songs. Christmas: 4500 Channels; 6 songs. Custom Wifi Pixel/Renard Controllers
    2016 Halloween: 6500 Channels; 4 songs. Christmas: 11,000 Channels; 4 songs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madsci1016 View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. A few people here, even some big names like plasmadrive, run 48V and have buck converters in line to drop down to 5V at injection points.

I'd be hard pressed to believe someone would build higher than 12V native pixel. 12V is already terribly inefficient, costs more to make, is half as bright and wastes twice the power as 5V. Going higher than 12V just makes those much worse without some type of buck regulation in line.

a 12v pixel is half as bright as a 5v? Even if that were true, im not sure how that is a valid point when very few run their displays at 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by didjareally View Post
    a 12v pixel is half as bright as a 5v? Even if that were true, im not sure how that is a valid point when very few run their displays at 100%.
    It's true, but some people don't notice due to the difference in the way we perceive brightness as humans. They have to reduce brightness so they don't burn up with the extra power they have to dissipate from the higher voltage rail.

And I run my mostly 5V display at 100% all night.
    www.billporter.info
    2015 Halloween: 2500 Channels; 3 songs. Christmas: 4500 Channels; 6 songs. Custom Wifi Pixel/Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I'm aware of. A few people here, even some big names like plasmadrive, run 48V and have buck converters in line to drop down to 5V at injection points.

Thank you for that.. :-)
    Actually I run 24v and use DC-DC converters at all the injection points.. 5 or 12v. I just have a butt load of the 24v 240w waterproof power supplies.. they are real handy! I never worry about Voltage drop.

Post Thanks / Like

PLasmaDrive--Do you have a specific place from which you get your buck converters? e.g. monoprice, amazon, McMaster carr, ebay, Ray Wu, etc etc....?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by didjareally View Post
    Not sure they are 1/2 as bright.. they do draw more current, 12v @ 66ma vs 5v @ 60ma. They are less efficient. .8W vs .3W.. Same LEDs and I would assume same LED current... if that is the case they should be about the same brightness.

However, with that said, I doubt you would know the difference even if they were run at 75% vs 100% on either of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    Not sure they are 1/2 as bright.. they do draw more current, 12v @ 66ma vs 5v @ 60ma. They are less efficient. .8W vs .3W.. .
    If HolidaCoro's specs are to be believe its 5V @ 60mA and 12V @ 45mA. So not half but a significant difference. The hard part is convincing (non engineering) people LED's brightness comes from the current and not from the power dissipated. People see a high wattage and think brighter bulb.
    www.billporter.info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    PLasmaDrive--Do you have a specific place from which you get your buck converters? e.g. monoprice, amazon, McMaster carr, ebay, Ray Wu, etc etc....?
    http://www.prodctodc.com/dc-nonisolated-converter-c-1

Post Thanks / Like

If HolidaCoro's specs are to be believe its 5V @ 60mA and 12V @ 45mA. So not half but a significant difference. The hard part is convincing (non engineering) people LED's brightness comes from the current and not from the power dissipated. People see a high wattage and think brighter bulb.
    So true but I think you meant higher current not "higher wattage"... no? He said the 12v was 1/2 as bright as the 5v.. which would be backward from power. Not sure why he said it that way...

I got my power specs off of Ray's pages... for what those are worth sometimes.. :-)
    Anyway, unless I have tested them myself or have better data sources, I try to keep my comments a bit generic ("assume", "I doubt", "not sure".... things like that) because I don't want to start posting something as fact that I can't back up.. I was unable to find a luminosity spec so can't really compare brightness... hence the vagueness on my part.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast