Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DC power plugs & jacks - suitable for use with AC power or no?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DC power plugs & jacks - suitable for use with AC power or no?

One other thing you should keep in mind (other than spacing & isolation etc.) is that it's very easy to form an accidental capacitor. A plug does consist out of 2 conductors in close proximity separated by an insulator after all.

It wouldn't matter in a DC world if that insulator happens to be a dielectric - and nobody would care about it or test for it, but in an AC world in matters very much, since it will pass across it.

So if you're going to mix DC equipment into an AC circuit, you shoud test capacitance across all of your DC equipment.

Easiest may be to run something like 10VAC 60Hz 1A (i.e. with a 10ohm 10W resistor) over the positive legs (from socket+ to plug+), and AC voltage test across the negative legs (Scope is ideal). Then same in reverse.

I personally would rather just attach 0.25" crimp terminals to my fixtures and plug them directly into the board, rather than connecting them with DC plugs.
    Last edited by deonb; 01-11-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks View Post
    These are standard 2.1mm ID x 5.5mm OD power jacks that everyone in this hobby should be familiar with, just like those found on your wifi routers, cable modems, network switches, and so on.

Although a number of you said you felt it wasn't safe, I was looking more for a factual substantiation for why or why not they would be acceptable for 120v AC usage. Many of us here are of the scientific/engineering mindset, so we do things based on fact/logic, not feelings. The wire gauge that they can accommodate certainly isn't the issue. Heck, most big box store LEDs (and even incans) use flim-flam 22 or 24AWG wire. Is it the insulating properties between the 2 conductors that is the actual concern?

That's the only difference I see between these and AC wire plugs and mating receptacles. The conductors are much further apart.
    It's not "feeling it's not safe" it is not safe period. The datasheets back it up, since you did not list part numbers I will assume the pictures came from random ebay listings which may not even hold up to these ratings:
    Plug 1 171-PA5521-E 12VDC 2A Sheet
    Plug 2 693-4840.1201 12VDC 0.5A Sheet
    Jack 806-KLDPX-0302-A 24VDC 5A Sheet

So besides the fact/logic/science/engineering reasons why this is a bad connector choice for 120VAC... They typically don't hold well when weight is put on them so a dog or child could run through your display and catch a wire with there foot and yank it out. Now you have an open 120VAC terminal which rain or fingers can easily short. Your city electrical inspector, and insurance adjuster would not be happy.

Please don't kill yourself or an innocent person.
    DIYC Links:
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php"]Christmas Wiki[/URL] | [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/addonchat.php"]Chat[/URL]

Ricky, Jrd

"With great power comes great electricity bill." - Unknown Electricity Consumer
    "Your significance in life is not what you do, but how and why you do something." - Unknown Minister
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]2012
    City float for Parade of Lights with:
    Fm-02 + Wall Wart Tamer
    2 Ren4Flood + DIYCFlood + Ren-W in 500 Watt enclosure
    2 Simple Renard 32
    15 SSROZ
    2 24 Channel RBW LED Ropelight Midi Trees out of artificial Christmas trees.

<a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show/hide my past display details ...</a>
    <script language="javascript">function showhide(anc){ //
    // traverse forward from anchor to find hidable div:
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    var Y='block', N='none', det=anc.nextSibling; //
    //fall-back plan: use named div:
    if (!det) det=document.getElementById('details'); //
    //toggle visibility:
    det.style.display=(det.style.display!=N)?N:Y; //
    //prevent page refresh:
    return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;">2011
    Renard 24 v3.3 100%
    FM-02 with antenna 100%
    16' 8 channel Multi-color + Clear Megatree 100%</div>[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

On the Mouser link earlier, there was another link to some New miniature AC power plugs - 25A 250V

http://www.mouser.com/new/connectors...n-axireZ2p50ry

Not as cheap as what you were proposing, but you will know that it is safe and who can put a price on safety.
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    who can put a price on safety.

Well... Mouser, evidently.

Post Thanks / Like

The inside of those connectors also don't have enough of separation between the two terminals to protect from the 120VAC from shorting out. You'll get arcing, fire, and burn down your display.

You know, after you killed yourself from touching the contacts that are exposed.
    www.billporter.info
    2014 Christmas: 1 Channel; a new house and a crazy plan.
    2015 Halloween: 2500 Channels; 3 songs. Christmas: 4500 Channels; 6 songs. Custom Wifi Pixel/Renard Controllers
    2016 Halloween: 6500 Channels; 4 songs. Christmas: 11,000 Channels; 4 songs.

6. Likes critic2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I gonna be bold and tell it like it is! Those who can't immediately see why this plug shouldn't be used for 120VAC, shouldn't be DIYing in this hobby....they need to HIRE someone who is qualified

You are playing in an area that will kill

Think finger safe.
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 01-12-2017 at 01:07 AM.
    In Lights Therapy...

8. Thanks iflights thanked for this post
    Likes Jrd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    I gonna be bold and tell it like it is! Those who can't immediately see why this plug shouldn't be used for 120VAC, shouldn't be DIYing in this hobby....they need to HIRE someone who is qualified

You are playing in an area that will kill

Think finger safe.

A bit harsh, isn't it? He is just asking why it doesn't work to: "Those with more AC electricity knowledge".

If working with LOR or Renard is only privy to those with a 7 year degree in Electrical Engineering, we'd all still be running Home Depot lights.

The OP is merely asking what makes it not work. The simple truth is that the designers of the specification and manufacturer of the product didn't design & test it for that use. It may work fine and safe. It may not. Anything other than that is a guess.

Very few of us in this hobby have an A/C power layout that is safe and standardized enough to get specific insurance on if we were to ever try. We go to the edge of the envelope and we keep ourselves safe through knowledge, and we build that knowledge by asking questions. We shouldn't berate others who want to do the same.
    Last edited by deonb; 01-12-2017 at 10:46 AM.

10. Thanks beeiilll thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deonb View Post
    ......The OP is merely asking what makes it not work. The simple truth is that the designers of the specification and manufacturer of the product didn't design & test it for that use. It may work fine and safe. It may not. Anything other than that is a guess.
    .....reread the statement.......

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks View Post
    These are standard 2.1mm ID x 5.5mm OD power jacks that everyone in this hobby should be familiar with, just like those found on your wifi routers, cable modems, network switches, and so on.

Although a number of you said you felt it wasn't safe, I was looking more for a factual substantiation for why or why not they would be acceptable for 120v AC usage. Many of us here are of the scientific/engineering mindset, so we do things based on fact/logic, not feelings. The wire gauge that they can accommodate certainly isn't the issue. Heck, most big box store LEDs (and even incans) use flim-flam 22 or 24AWG wire. Is it the insulating properties between the 2 conductors that is the actual concern?

That's the only difference I see between these and AC wire plugs and mating receptacles. The conductors are much further apart.
    .....he/she was clearly told, by several, they were unsafe, but he/she challenged those folks advising him and said "PROVE IT"
    This need a bold answer, and your attempt to defend isn't helping promote safety.

.....If working with LOR or Renard is only privy to those with a 7 year degree in Electrical Engineering, we'd all still be running Home Depot lights.
    What was the point of this statement.....or was it just to berate me?
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 01-12-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    In Lights Therapy...

12. Likes todd1814 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

.....he/she was clearly told, by several, they were unsafe, but he/she challenged those folks advising him and said "PROVE IT"
    And what's wrong with asking people to back up their statements?

I don't think we have to try and raise Scoobysnacks. That's his parents jobs.

He's not saying: "I'm definitely going to do this for sure and the hell with anybody trying to stop me, and then I'm going to break into your kids school and change all of the plugs to this as well!" - but somehow people feel the need to treat him that way.

It seems to be a trend on this board (and Aus Christmas) to really treat someone like a child when they even dare ask questions about A/C safety. I've been a target of that myself as well.

What was the point of this statement.....or was it just to berate me?
    Because of your hypothesis:
    "Those who can't immediately see why this plug shouldn't be used for 120VAC, shouldn't be DIYing in this hobby"

To really know all of the technical details of what type of conductors and insulators should be used how far apart and how they need to be constructed is not trivial. I certainly can't see it immediately. Other than "that's what the label says" can we really back it up with any kinds of specific facts that this is electrically unsafe?

I won't personally do it because it's too prone to an easy mistake, and it's likely not to be safe, but that's not the same as saying that for sure it's electrically unsafe.
    Last edited by deonb; 01-12-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm have too much experience in the field, but I can see exposed 120V on either plug or socket. Hell with any specifications.
    In Lights Therapy...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast