Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your favorite length for Ach tubes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is your favorite length for Ach tubes?

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    That is the 2"
    I guess I was meaning it is a larger diameter than the ones Matt Johnson uses he states he uses 2"od 1.75"Id not really sure if it will make a difference or not I already have the larger material so I'll make it work.

Thanks
    Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    Jon, why 12.5' and 66 pixels instead of shorter and only 60 pixels? I was thinking something around 64 pixels since that is divisible by 8 and that is what most of the music would time really good to... Just a thought.
    100' evenly divided by 8 is 12.5'. I did it to get the most out of the 100' length of tube i bought.
    66 pixels is what works out in that length. I don't do too many effects where I divide it into sections. The only one I really do like that is the candy cane stripe effect. And for that u use the alternate effect and group by 11 to give me 6 sections. I could always just use 64 and divide by 8 it I wanted to. The desire to do that just never came up. Just because the extra two pixels are there doesn't mean you need to use them for every effect.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the actual length you choose has two sources. First is the modulus of the node length of your strips (plus a tad at the ends for mounting). The next is based on what YOU like.

Some people like true semi-circles. Some like high arches. Some like low arches. I don't personally want the half circle look. And I don't want something that looks like McDonalds arches (high ones). So I took the modulus of the node length and cut pieces of 1/2" PVC (cheaper than pex and I can reuse the pieces for other stuff) to 3 or 4 lengths (can't remember) that I guessed might work. Then I stuck some stakes in the ground and shoved the various lengths of the PVC over them and stood back for a look-see. I chose the one that looked most appealing to me and what I like. I didn't want them too tall to cover up the singing faces. Didn't want them too low so they looked stupid.

For the life of me, I can't tell you what the actual length is. I simply used the piece of PVC that was the keeper and used it as a ruler to cut the pex by. Pretty sure that PVC ended up being part of the spider web frame as did the other trial pieces. One might have become pieces for my face and flood spacer rulers (a piece used to space the floods across the eve and the other to space the singing faces the same across the front).

I am not saying anyoneelse's shape is wrong. I am saying that I chose what appeals to me.
    Last edited by Wolfie; 01-24-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewfus View Post
    I guess I was meaning it is a larger diameter than the ones Matt Johnson uses he states he uses 2"od 1.75"Id not really sure if it will make a difference or not I already have the larger material so I'll make it work.

Thanks
    Drew

Yes it will make a difference, it will look better!
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

I think the diameter is important. But also the view distance. So if your 40ft from the road. Then yeah. 2"OD. But anything under 33ft or so I would settle with 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 od

Post Thanks / Like

I think people get too hung up on view distance=x size thing.

You have to look at the display as a whole and select options based on how it will look, not only to the visitor but it has to look good in context with the rest of the stuff in the display. Sometimes 2" tubing would be out of scale with other elements that all contain thin lines of pixels. Then all of a sudden you have this fat thing in front. Maybe its what you want. But maybe looking at it when viewed as a whole might be a better method.

7. Likes Sammy2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy2004 View Post
    I think the diameter is important. But also the view distance. So if your 40ft from the road. Then yeah. 2"OD. But anything under 33ft or so I would settle with 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 od
    The ideal diameter has more to do with the distance from the led to the tube wall than it does from tube to the viewer. Any led has a given beam spread. You want the led to be far enough from the wall of the tube so that the beam evenly fills around the circumference of the tube at the section where the led is located, and evenly distributed from led to led along the length of the tube. You also don't want to go too big in the tubing because then you'll lose the segmentation as the light from adjoining leds overlaps more on the tube wall. I've found that 1.75" ID is the sweet spot for strip that's 60 5050 leds per meter.
    This assumes of course that uniform diffusion is your goal. If you are aiming for the look that shows off the hot spots of the individual leds, then smaller tubing is better.

Post Thanks / Like

8' 2" of course! Half of a 5 meter pixel strip.😀

Sent from S6 using Tapatalk
    Paul

2014 - FM-02 - Vixen 2.1.1 - 369 Channels - DMX, RenardPlus 32, 11 Dumb RGB strips, 100 pixels
    2015 - FM-02 - V3 - E1.31 - 500 roof pixels, 4 Arches, 4 Singing trees w/RenardPlus 32, 10 Dumb RGB strips.
    2016 - Added Pixel Tree, P10 sign, Window Pixels via Komby
    2017 - Bigger Tree, Bigger Sign, ESPixelsticks

10. Likes Nathan815 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123