Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opions Please: 2017 Setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opions Please: 2017 Setup

Hey guys, trying to plan my 2017 show (much earlier this time around) and would like some input. I'm considering playing with xlights this year and also upgrading my e682 to a falcon F16v3. Picked up a RasPi 3B and already installed FPP, excited about that. Here's a screen shot of my layout in xlights for 2017 as well as a pic of my house from 2016, day and night.

Here's what definitely planned for this year so far:
    • Growing the Megatree from 30 to 40 pixels.
    • Adding a Boscoyo Santa Hat Matrix (This will replace the real estate tune to sign)
    • Pixelizing 15 Really Big Lights to line the sidewalk (About 38' total)
    • Replacing 120V LED icicles on the porch with pixels (Have quote from Ray to do 4,5,6 drops or using DIYLed 2,3,4,5,4,3 icicles)
    • Not shown, but wrapping the porch railing with pixels, 150 should do it. This also replaces the old 120V LEDs.

I feel that I need something on the right side above the garage. Not sure if I want the 42" wreath or a few 24" snowflakes. Won't do both but not sure which I like better. Won't be doing anything with the garage outline since there's always two cars parked there. The Bradford pear tree on the left will be cut down this year so can't do anything with that either.

Another thing I'm thinking about is possibly building a Ferris Wheel. It would replace the Snoopy inflatable that's going into retirement. I'm not attached to the other inflatables or the two old deer either... https://www.thewinfieldcollection.co...craft-Patterns
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Opions Please: 2017 Setup

You have a nice canvas to work with. I got a couple of ideas on how I would approach your layout, but this is just me....
    If you are cutting down the Pear, I would replace that location with your enlarged Mega Tree. In lieu of that, center it on your front window. Instead of working with your porch railing, I would do the porch posts (like a firestick). I would outline all of your windows, the white border on either side of the yellow second story area, as well as the Garage Door. The window above your Garage could become a great Matrix (and tune to sign), or the wreath there works good too. I'm not a big fan of inflatables or blow molds, so I wouldn't include them in my display, again that's just me. Lastly, you could outline your front lawn along the sidewalk and then back along the property line on the left. Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun this year!

3. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some other ideas...up-light your dormers with some RGB floods, add something dramatic on top of the left dormer like a large star and yeah, a couple of snowflakes over the garage. You have a lot of things on the ground and the top part of the house looks comparatively dark. Shifting your mega tree to the left would extend your yard/display by adding some light in that area. It would also add height and drama to that side and allow your porch to stand out. Your idea of putting something toward the front edge of the yard is also good. You have an unused grassy area in front of your display.

Post Thanks / Like

Symetrical (matching) snow flakes, maybe 5 with the center one raised for the garage? Or this? You could probable do something similar and create some cool sequencing with them.
    snowflakes.gif

Post Thanks / Like

What are you making your mini trees with? You could also add some arches where the little globes are as well. Heck, this is only my second year so I'm probably the last one to give advise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve White

Post Thanks / Like

Lot's of great replies already!

Not a big fan of inflatables myself, but the wife likes them, so.... Never really thought about moving the mega tree, but I like it off to the side! May have to grow it to 50 pixels... 2017 will be my 4th year and it's a lot of fun. This will be a big jump this year. 2014: 787 pixels, 2015: 1149, 2016: 1348, 2017: 2500+ so far it looks like. Getting expensive...

I like the idea of the pixel sticks along the porch posts and maybe outlining the windows. May save some of that for 2018, gotta have something to add!

Here's a new layout for consideration. Picture an 8' ferris wheel off to the left side, lit with an RGB flood...

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman1623 View Post
    What are you making your mini trees with? You could also add some arches where the little globes are as well. Heck, this is only my second year so I'm probably the last one to give advise
    Mini trees are just some artificial trees I picked up at Walmart on clearance a couple years ago, each wrapped with 100 pixels each. I don't have much more time on you, so no worries, I appreciate the input!

Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea as I do a LOT of Winfield stuff. I think it'll look great on the left hand side.
    Steve White

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman1623 View Post
    I love the idea as I do a LOT of Winfield stuff. I think it'll look great on the left hand side.
    How bad is the painting process on the Winfield stuff? I can build it all day but I absolutely hate painting. This would be the only reason I don't do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Primer is a must then the painting is easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve White

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I think this is my final layout. I dropped one of the mini trees, with them grouped together I think 3 look better. Going with a wreath on the left side rather than a star. Also added some floods that may or may not make it in. We'll see.

Anyone else keep track of controller settings in a spreadsheet? I ran everything at 25-50% last year and it was plenty bright enough for as close as you are to the house. This allows me to get 1200+ pixels on one 12V 350W power supply. Total amps full white I'm loaded to almost 90% but it will never get that high. I took a lot of amp readings while testing last year to get accurate info I'm pretty consistent 0.02 amps per pixel at 50%. I was going to go with a falcon and expansion board but I can cram everthing on one controller and two power supplies for this year. If I grow next year I'll have to reevaluate...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast