Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainproof power supplies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rainproof power supplies

Anyone tried using rainproof power supplies such as this? https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...750596067.html

Would reduce the number of enclosures needed...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rainproof power supplies

I use the Rainproof power supplies from HolidayCoro and they work great for me. http://www.holidaycoro.com/Rainproof...upply-p/48.htm

I have 15x 12V and 4x 5V . you have to make sure that they are mounted vertical though as they are not rainproof on the bottom and not sure how they would work buried in snow. Another issue is that they don't like to be overloaded so be careful how many pixels you are supplying.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I'm in the midst of diving head first into this hobby for the first time and trying to do as much cost engineering as possible. Seemed crazy to have so many enclosures just for power supplies.

To that end, any reason why I can't forgo using the F16V2 for power distribution for my strings and just do it all by power injection at each display element? That way I could keep the controller indoors and just send the data and clock lines out.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them and was worried about snow getting in but was pleasantly surprised, I had them out 2 seasons now and still going strong.
    The only caveat is that the fans stay on all the time so just be wary that they are a bit noisy in comparison to the non-weatherproof power supplies.
    You absolutely have to mount them vertically and I also try to keep them up against something (in my case my front step).
    Looking back, it would probably be a better idea to buy the one's that are rated IP68 waterproof, but money was an issue when I ordered.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kazanjig View Post
    Thanks. I'm in the midst of diving head first into this hobby for the first time and trying to do as much cost engineering as possible. Seemed crazy to have so many enclosures just for power supplies.

To that end, any reason why I can't forgo using the F16V2 for power distribution for my strings and just do it all by power injection at each display element? That way I could keep the controller indoors and just send the data and clock lines out.
    Yes you can send just Data and Ground (no clock on the WS2811) and power inject. The only issue is that there is a distance limitation before the data degrades between the controller and 1st pixel, there are ways to extend that using Null-Pixels or Cat5 cable but that does need to be taken into consideration w/ the placement of the controller.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    ...there are ways to extend that using...Cat5 cable but that does need to be taken into consideration w/ the placement of the controller.
    Thanks, I was going to use Cat6 for everything as I have tons of it left over from building my house.
    Cut cost, cut cost!

Post Thanks / Like

The IP68 versions are really heavy so shipping costs definitely come into play with these.

Post Thanks / Like

I see two issues you should consider before using rainproof in open area. First, the terminals are exposed to kids and animals. There is a potential for them to touch the 120V line terminals. If you do use these, mount in a protected area, or add a barrier blocking access to the terminals.

Second; as DrNeutron mentioned snow.... I wouldn't use these, but if you do; mount well above any snowline. I also like DrNeutron suggestion; weatherproof design best.

Not recommending, but if not waterproof, the Holidaycoro may be a better design than your Aliexpress design for both protection and snow......leads out vs exposed terminal board.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I have used 2 of these http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.p...roducts_id=163 for the last 2 years with NO issues what so ever. I have the AC plug soldered on and double shrink wrapped, same with the outputs, has been through rain, snow, sleet, hail, wind... everything. still going strong, you can mount in any orientation as there are no open areas of the case or the connections...
    2012: 24 channels with 1 Renardss24 * 2013: 48 channels with 2 Renardss24's * 2014: Took the year off * 2015: Life Got in the Way
    2016: 1000 Channels for Halloween, mix of A/C, RGB, Pixels. Christmas over 17 universes, all Pixels, oh boy...

10. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used the 5V ones from diyledexpress for two years now and had no problems. I used 2 12V supplies from holiday coro and had no issues this year either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast