Thread: A little guidance with DMX and dumb RGB

Post Thanks / Like

Default A little guidance with DMX and dumb RGB

This would be my first go around with RGB lights and I am just testing the water. I am interested in purchasing a 30 Channel DMX controller from HolidayCoro, found here http://www.holidaycoro.com/30-Channe...2v-DC-p/40.htm. Also, I will use these dumb RGB strips as an example http://www.holidaycoro.com/RGB-LED-S...proof-p/59.htm. Per the Holidaycoro website, the controller can handle up to 6amp per channel, or 60amps per controller. The RGB strip can run up to 33 feet per channel or 330 feet per board with a 350 watt power supply (if I undertand correctly). My question is this, if I wanted to do a long run, say outline my house, What will I use to connect the second run of 33 feet to channel number two on the controller? Holidaycoro also sell this http://www.holidaycoro.com/100ft-3-C...-p/696-100.htm. Is this something that I would be using? If my thinking is completely out in left field or I am way off, please let me know. Thanks for the Help!

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A little guidance with DMX and dumb RGB

I used 18/4 lamp cable from Home Depot. It works great and is a true 18g wire.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to consider using pixels and not dumb RGB. The cost between the two isn't much and you'll likely want pixels sooner rather than later. You can always run pixels to look like dumb RGB but not the other way around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tucsonlights View Post
    I used 18/4 lamp cable from Home Depot. It works great and is a true 18g wire.
    Thanks for the reply. So my logic and understanding is correct? Is there a general rule on maximum length of extension wire you can run?

Quote Originally Posted by StickyWicket View Post
    You might want to consider using pixels and not dumb RGB. The cost between the two isn't much and you'll likely want pixels sooner rather than later. You can always run pixels to look like dumb RGB but not the other way around.
    Thanks to you too. I am also looking into this as well and doing lots of research. It is my understanding that with pixels, you run out of DMX channels very quickly. Currently, I am trying to understand how to increase from 512. Thanks again for the reply.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slim00209 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So my logic and understanding is correct? Is there a general rule on maximum length of extension wire you can run?

Thanks to you too. I am also looking into this as well and doing lots of research. It is my understanding that with pixels, you run out of DMX channels very quickly. Currently, I am trying to understand how to increase from 512. Thanks again for the reply.

Ryan
    Most pixel displays use multiple universes of data. My display this year consisted of over three thousand pixels on somewhere around 9 different universes. I would read up on the wiki here on pixels and look around the foroums you should find answers to most questions

Post Thanks / Like

IF you stay with the idea to use dumb pixels, you will find that you can get quite a distance. We have 15 minitrees and a spiral tree that are dumb nodes. Our use of the controllers for the mini trees (the one that you have quoted above) have a distance of around 60 feet from the controller to the last mini-tree. No problems. I believe we could go much farther before having any adverse affects.

One thing to remember is that the controller is providing the electrical connection and the intelligence. The wiring to the dumb pixels/strips is only carrying voltage and ground. (The controller actually controls the ground side of the loop, with V++ being provided full time.)

Though we use the dumb nodes in this area, I do agree with the thought of using smart pixels for their ability to do varying display effects. The cost difference is negligible for the strips.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slim00209 View Post

Ryan
    Keep reading. You are missing something.

A single Falcon F16v2, for example, can run over 10,000 individual pixels and 4 more DMX universes on top of that. Heck, a simple RasPi by itself can handle 1,600 pixels just by itself. Very few people run out of channels. If you do, add another controller. Not that hard.

With modern controllers and sequencing software (F16 and xLights for example), you simply do not need to worry about universes. Start channel and end channel, thats all you ever need to think about. The hardware and software deals with the rest. Heck, my megatree alone is over 8 universes (1,440 pixels or 4,320 channels). Not once in any sequencer or controller did I care what pixel of it was in what universe.

Pixels and RGB both have pros and cons. You have to decide how you want your display to run and look. Pixels are not the solution to every display. But more often than not, they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vincehc View Post
    Most pixel displays use multiple universes of data. My display this year consisted of over three thousand pixels on somewhere around 9 different universes. I would read up on the wiki here on pixels and look around the foroums you should find answers to most questions
    I am trying to do my research and get a grip on it. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    IF you stay with the idea to use dumb pixels, you will find that you can get quite a distance. We have 15 minitrees and a spiral tree that are dumb nodes. Our use of the controllers for the mini trees (the one that you have quoted above) have a distance of around 60 feet from the controller to the last mini-tree. No problems. I believe we could go much farther before having any adverse affects.

One thing to remember is that the controller is providing the electrical connection and the intelligence. The wiring to the dumb pixels/strips is only carrying voltage and ground. (The controller actually controls the ground side of the loop, with V++ being provided full time.)

Though we use the dumb nodes in this area, I do agree with the thought of using smart pixels for their ability to do varying display effects. The cost difference is negligible for the strips.
    This helps me greatly! I'm sure I will have a ton more questions but thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Keep reading. You are missing something.

A single Falcon F16v2, for example, can run over 10,000 individual pixels and 4 more DMX universes on top of that. Heck, a simple RasPi by itself can handle 1,600 pixels just by itself. Very few people run out of channels. If you do, add another controller. Not that hard.

With modern controllers and sequencing software (F16 and xLights for example), you simply do not need to worry about universes. Start channel and end channel, thats all you ever need to think about. The hardware and software deals with the rest. Heck, my megatree alone is over 8 universes (1,440 pixels or 4,320 channels). Not once in any sequencer or controller did I care what pixel of it was in what universe.

Pixels and RGB both have pros and cons. You have to decide how you want your display to run and look. Pixels are not the solution to every display. But more often than not, they are.
    Chances are that I am indeed missing something. I'm not sure if this makes a difference as to what you are saying, but I am using LOR software and controllers. With further research, I think I might have answered my own question. Again, I may be wrong but this is how I now understand it. If I decide to run dumb RGB, I am going to need a DMX dongle. Something like this http://www.holidaycoro.com/Enttec-Pr...ongle-p/53.htm. If I decide to run smart pixels, I no longer need the dongle and go the Ethernet and network switch route. I think I was getting confused with thinking that I still needed a dongle to run Smart pixels.

I hope this makes sense and I am only confusing myself and not everyone else. I really appreciate the help of everyone.

Thank you,
    Ryan