Thread: Vixen 3 on Windows XP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3 on Windows XP

My show computer has Windows XP Home. From the VixenLights website it looks like that isn't supported. Do I need to update this PC to Windows 7 to use that next year? I have seen people talking about using Raspberry Pi and FPP. What does it take to get that set up to run Vixen 3 sequences if I can't get that PC upgraded? Any other suggestions for the show?
    Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3 on Windows XP

If you plan on running Vixen to play the show you would need to upgrade your PC. Using a Pi (or BBB) to play the show is super easy (for me) I highly recommend going that route.

If you need any help using FPP to play your show please let me know and I can help you get it going.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StickyWicket View Post
    If you plan on running Vixen to play the show you would need to upgrade your PC. Using a Pi (or BBB) to play the show is super easy (for me) I highly recommend going that route.

If you need any help using FPP to play your show please let me know and I can help you get it going.
    One of the issues for me was the the original Falcon Pi Player had no USB->Serial/RS485 support. Is that still the case? I realize you can use a Bridge, but that's another expense and moving part.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kychristmas View Post
    One of the issues for me was the the original Falcon Pi Player had no USB->Serial/RS485 support. Is that still the case? I realize you can use a Bridge, but that's another expense and moving part.
    Sometimes I lose sight that not all displays use the same stuff. To be honest I have no idea. I know the guys at falconchristmas.com would know that answer.

Post Thanks / Like

FPP currently supports USB->Serial/RS485. Used it this year to test/prototype as my neighbor and I prepare our first shows for next season. Pretty easy to set up

From the main page, look for "Output Setup" on the top navigation bar. From there, select the first option "Channel Outputs" which will take you to http://fpp/channeloutputs.php where there should be 3 tabs. E1.31, Falcon Pixelnet/DMX, and Other. Select "Other" and you will configure from this screen. If you have a USB->RS485 or USB->Serial device plugged in, you should be able to configure it for Renard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3 on Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by StickyWicket View Post

Thanks. I always wondered what FPP stood for. So it must be Falcon Pi Player.

How do you test your lights when everything is hooked up? Today I use the output tester in Vixen 2.X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davdue View Post
    Thanks. I always wondered what FPP stood for. So it must be Falcon Pi Player.

How do you test your lights when everything is hooked up? Today I use the output tester in Vixen 2.X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FPP has its own test mode. You can also set it up in bridge mode and send data out through Vixen into FPP and out to your lights all live.