Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on DIY Giant Bubble Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thoughts on DIY Giant Bubble Light

I finished off my two bubblers last night. I wound up making some changes. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kl39fllp0...GDjZH_dBa?dl=0

I didn't like the can in the bottom idea so I cut an old 2x6 to fit the inside of the bucket. That took some time to get it all right. Sabersaw and belt sander..
    I used the old rivet holes to put screws in the 2x6 to hold it all in place. I used another piece of 2x6 as a spacer and put a level across the top and clamped them all together before I put the screws in. That gave me a pretty level internal board to put the bubbler on.

Once I put it together I tried it with the lights off and realized this is very dark except for the bubbler itself. I had some of the LED C9s I took out of the RBL so I used those to light the bowl. I used one of the RBL strings and added 5 more sockets so there are 6 white LEDs per finished bubbler.
    I drilled a hole toward the bottom on the side and added a strain relief for the power cord. I used another one of the cords from an RBL and cut it off at the socket. That way I have the fused male plug for the input cord.
    I just plugged the bubbler into the end of the RBL string that I used for the white LEDs. I am not sure if I need to add weep holes at the very bottom or not. That question is unanswered at present but it can be done quickly if needed.

Mounting the bubbler I found it noisy. Inside the bubbler I sandwiched the pump with in density foam to quiet that down. Under the bubbler I put the same foam. I also used 3/4" unistrut clamps to hold the bubbler in place. I put foam where the clamp contacts the bubbler as well. The entire thing still makes some humming noise but it is not too bad at all.

I slide the bowl down the tube and the rubber foam holds it in place since the bubbler itself is solidly held down. I also used Bright White siliconized caulking to go around the edges of the rubber foam outside edges. This cleans it up and doesn't allow for water to get in there and sit.

Be careful, the bucket and the bowl are extremely thin and light weight. if you glue on the Coro before you drill the big hole that helps a lot. I actually put a crease in the bucket by torquing it a bit too much while holding it as I was drilling. Drilling should all be REALLY SLOWLY DONE. I don't mean bit speed, I mean feeder speed.. take your time.

Some things I would do if I had the tools. I would slightly paint the inside of the bowl a very pale green with darker ribs every so often. This would mimic a true bubbler better, but I don't think anyone will notice. I would also not use the steel pail. I would vacuform a bottom that is something I could light from the inside. this is not really necessary but would be fun to mess with.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but my wife loves em and that is what counts.. Have fun...

2. Likes beeiilll, goverland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    I finished off my two bubblers last night. I wound up making some changes. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kl39fllp0...GDjZH_dBa?dl=0

I didn't like the can in the bottom idea so I cut an old 2x6 to fit the inside of the bucket. That took some time to get it all right. Sabersaw and belt sander..
    I used the old rivet holes to put screws in the 2x6 to hold it all in place. I used another piece of 2x6 as a spacer and put a level across the top and clamped them all together before I put the screws in. That gave me a pretty level internal board to put the bubbler on.

Once I put it together I tried it with the lights off and realized this is very dark except for the bubbler itself. I had some of the LED C9s I took out of the RBL so I used those to light the bowl. I used one of the RBL strings and added 5 more sockets so there are 6 white LEDs per finished bubbler.
    I drilled a hole toward the bottom on the side and added a strain relief for the power cord. I used another one of the cords from an RBL and cut it off at the socket. That way I have the fused male plug for the input cord.
    I just plugged the bubbler into the end of the RBL string that I used for the white LEDs. I am not sure if I need to add weep holes at the very bottom or not. That question is unanswered at present but it can be done quickly if needed.

Mounting the bubbler I found it noisy. Inside the bubbler I sandwiched the pump with in density foam to quiet that down. Under the bubbler I put the same foam. I also used 3/4" unistrut clamps to hold the bubbler in place. I put foam where the clamp contacts the bubbler as well. The entire thing still makes some humming noise but it is not too bad at all.

I slide the bowl down the tube and the rubber foam holds it in place since the bubbler itself is solidly held down. I also used Bright White siliconized caulking to go around the edges of the rubber foam outside edges. This cleans it up and doesn't allow for water to get in there and sit.

Be careful, the bucket and the bowl are extremely thin and light weight. if you glue on the Coro before you drill the big hole that helps a lot. I actually put a crease in the bucket by torquing it a bit too much while holding it as I was drilling. Drilling should all be REALLY SLOWLY DONE. I don't mean bit speed, I mean feeder speed.. take your time.

Some things I would do if I had the tools. I would slightly paint the inside of the bowl a very pale green with darker ribs every so often. This would mimic a true bubbler better, but I don't think anyone will notice. I would also not use the steel pail. I would vacuform a bottom that is something I could light from the inside. this is not really necessary but would be fun to mess with.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but my wife loves em and that is what counts.. Have fun...
    Looks awesome, thank you for the updates. Are you in a cold climate wheee you can test out your plan for that?

Could anyone get the video to play? I was skunked on my phone...

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Love the idea and execution.

Has anyone given any thought to using small styrofoam balls blown/circulated with air, instead of bubbles/liquid?

Given the difficulties with using a liquid, I'm just wondering if there aren't other options that could achieve this effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toozie21 View Post
    Looks awesome, thank you for the updates. Are you in a cold climate wheee you can test out your plan for that?

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...
    Thanks.. I am in California. We usually don't Freeze here until Jan so not an issue for me.. You might have to add a lot of other chemicals to make it work in the frozen regions of the country.
    The two videos are MP4. Best to download them before you try to watch them. Also, they look better downloaded than from the dropbox server.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toozie21 View Post
    I could not figure it out on my phone either. I kept getting the jpg instead of the mp4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    Love the idea and execution.

Has anyone given any thought to using small styrofoam balls blown/circulated with air, instead of bubbles/liquid?

Given the difficulties with using a liquid, I'm just wondering if there aren't other options that could achieve this effect.
    HC used to make a pixel bubbler of sorts. I think it is somewhere in this thread. If you have freezing condition that may be the only way without a chemical change.

Those bubblers came with floating fish.. ha ha.. I just didn't want to use them.. But I assume Styrofoam balls might be ok.. I think they would just float at the top though.

Post Thanks / Like

I had not really looked at this thread till now.
    I will have to find my pdf file from a few years ago from a fellow that built some about 6 feet tall bubblers. I think he was also in a cold area but don't really remember much else.
    Ever since I switched over to a new computer I find that I want a lot of the information on my old one but it is in another house across town!

I will try and find it in the next few days and post.

One thing about using styrofoam balls that does NOT work is that it creates friction blowing them around and they soon stick to the tube and you have a static mess instead of flowing! Don't ask me how I know this one!

Great job on the bubblers there plasmadrive !!! They look awesome.

9. Likes plasmadrive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    HC used to make a pixel bubbler of sorts. I think it is somewhere in this thread. If you have freezing condition that may be the only way without a chemical change.

Those bubblers came with floating fish.. ha ha.. I just didn't want to use them.. But I assume Styrofoam balls might be ok.. I think they would just float at the top though.
    I think he meant Styrofoam balls with a blower without the water. I kind of like that idea too, no freezing. i do like the look of what you created i loved the old bubblers on the tree.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm only thinking of the styrofoam balls, as I've seen several inflatable "snow globes" that use the balls for a similar effect.

You would need two channels--the outer-ring with airflow UP, and the inner-tube that pulls the balls back down.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, finally got to the other house and found the pdf for the bubbler lights from some time ago!
    So here is an older method for making them I guess.
    Attached Files Attached Files

13. Likes plasmadrive liked this post
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast