Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on DIY Giant Bubble Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thoughts on DIY Giant Bubble Light

Bump

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.lightuplawrence.net/Home/...-bubble-lights this is an interesting non-liquid approach I found. I think strobing pixels in the right order could simulate bubbles from far away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I,still like the water ones better.

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

4. Likes plasmadrive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toozie21 View Post
    I,still like the water ones better.

I think I am with you.. My tubes should hopefully be here in a week or so.. I will do a video when I am done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    I think I am with you.. My tubes should hopefully be here in a week or so.. I will do a video when I am done.
    Awesome, thanks. Keep us posted, I am VERY interested in this. Are you in a cold locale where you are going to need to worry about freezing issues?

~Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toozie21 View Post
    Awesome, thanks. Keep us posted, I am VERY interested in this. Are you in a cold locale where you are going to need to worry about freezing issues?

Just add some alcohol, no problemo

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen another how to on the forums for a bigger one. I was hoping someone would speak up about it. I don't remember where :-(
    It used a "clear doll cone" for the top.
    Last edited by Skunberg; 01-05-2017 at 11:37 PM.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Verrous View Post
    http://www.lightuplawrence.net/Home/...-bubble-lights this is an interesting non-liquid approach I found. I think strobing pixels in the right order could simulate bubbles from far away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Does HC still make this kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

OK.. I finally received my bubblers yesterday and started playing this morning.
    The plastic bowl is hella thin. You must be very careful when you cut the hole. I hot glued two pieces of Coro to the bottom then drilled all the way thru with a hole saw from the inside. I did pre-drill a pilot hole before gluing on the Coro so I had a spot to start from. Then I hot glued on the rubber foam to the bottom of the last Coro piece. The coro gives a lot of extra strength that the bowl doesn't have on it's own. The rubber type foam should help seal around the tube. I think I will seal the edges around the outside of the stack to the rim on the bottom of the bowl.

I drilled out the rivets real easy.. cleaned up the holes and will bondo them today and paint them when the bondo dries. That should be easy.

Now, I pulled apart the bubblers. The pump is a bit noisy so I sandwiched it in foam. That quieted it down A LOT!

The LEDs board comes out pretty easy by removing one screw. I was going to pull that out and add pixels but I am not sure about that yet. Those LEDs appear to be point sourced with a lens for long throw up the tube. I will play with some pixels later to see how they look. Either way I am going to have to control the LEDs if my wife doesn't need them to stand alone. (these are for her after all). The controller is a COB with just a few other components for power.

I also found out that when you turn out the lights around it, the only this that is lit of course is the tube and the rest is pretty dark. I am going to either have to front light it so you can see it all, or put pixels inside and only light the bowl. Not sure which way to go. Maybe a combination of both.

The last things I think I will need to figure out is a better way to hold the bubbler and weigh down the bottom other than using a paint can. This setup won't work well with any wind outside. I also need to figure out a good way to hold the bowl to the bucket. maybe as simple as wire ties.. not sure yet.

They do look pretty cool however.. Working on the details for the rest today..
    Last edited by plasmadrive; 01-13-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    OK.. I finally received my bubblers yesterday and started playing this morning.
    The plastic bowl is hella thin. You must be very careful when you cut the hole. I hot glued two pieces of Coro to the bottom then drilled all the way thru with a hole saw from the inside. I did pre-drill a pilot hole before gluing on the Coro so I had a spot to start from. Then I hot glued on the rubber foam to the bottom of the last Coro piece. The coro gives a lot of extra strength that the bowl doesn't have on it's own. The rubber type foam should help seal around the tube. I think I will seal the edges around the outside of the stack to the rim on the bottom of the bowl.

I drilled out the rivets real easy.. cleaned up the holes and will bondo them today and paint them when the bondo dries. That should be easy.

Now, I pulled apart the bubblers. The pump is a bit noisy so I sandwiched it in foam. That quieted it down A LOT!

The LEDs board comes out pretty easy by removing one screw. I was going to pull that out and add pixels but I am not sure about that yet. Those LEDs appear to be point sourced with a lens for long throw up the tube. I will play with some pixels later to see how they look. Either way I am going to have to control the LEDs if my wife doesn't need them to stand alone. (these are for her after all). The controller is a COB with just a few other components for power.

I also found out that when you turn out the lights around it, the only this that is lit of course is the tube and the rest is pretty dark. I am going to either have to front light it so you can see it all, or put pixels inside and only light the bowl. Not sure which way to go. Maybe a combination of both.

The last things I think I will need to figure out is a better way to hold the bubbler and weigh down the bottom other than using a paint can. This setup won't work well with any wind outside. I also need to figure out a good way to hold the bowl to the bucket. maybe as simple as wire ties.. not sure yet.

They do look pretty cool however.. Working on the details for the rest today..
    Awesome, thanks for all the info. I am really excited about the potential about this project, so keep on rolling ;)!
    ~Jason

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast