Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on DIY Giant Bubble Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts on DIY Giant Bubble Light

After hearing people talk about the Really Big Christmas Lights and seeing them in Home Depot I did commit myself to buying a few for next year, but then I thought it would be cool to have some really big Bubble Lights too. So low and behold a google search found someone else that had already built a DIY one (see instructable link)

My question to the group, Does it look close enough to a Bubble light to build? thing I may be able to build one for around $25-30. Would have to modify for Pixels of course.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Giant-Bubble-Lights/

Thoughts?

Happy New Year,
    Mike

2. Likes Jerry-Rigs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thoughts on DIY Giant Bubble Light

My worry would be cold weather. Could it freeze?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it could freeze, may have to build one this year and try water alcohol or antifreeze mix.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I love them. I bet it is hard to find the bubble lights though.... id like to make a pair myself.

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Freezing could be avoided by using salt water instead of tap water. That will get you down to -5 Fahrenheit before freezing.
    If you experience colder temperatures another fluid would be necessary.

An immersion heater at the bottom might do the trick, though maybe controlling the heat output so you're not making coffee at the same time might be good.

A tube-in-a-tube might work with a small gap between, and heat the air in the gap.

Maybe a pipe heater wire would work up the back of the tube, thought that would be visible.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think about stuff freezing. I bet thise ebay tubes are sealed unfortunately....

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea with salt water we usually only have freezing temp during December, nothing below mid 20's. Thanks

Last edited by Techster; 01-01-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The tubes are not sealed and they say to fill with distilled water.. I am looking for all the parts now..
    I have not been able to find any that are a pair for $37.. There are several sizes.. I am thinking the 24" might be the one judging by the picture of the bucket next to the lamp box. The bucket is 10" tall. The lamp box looks to be just slightly taller.. The 24" version is about $27 but I found a 27" version for about $23.

So the lamp is easy and the bucket is easy.. Not sure which bowl. I will be going to Party City tomorrow to see what I can find if the local one has the buckets... I will let ya'll know what I found..

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered a few of the 27" lamps on ebay, so they are coming from China and wont be here until Feb. Guess I will have some time to take down and put away the display until the bubble part gets here.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're in a rush you could also purchase acrylic or polycarbonate tube, epoxy a caps on the end, and make them any length you like. You can also get a wall thickness that you want rather than what is most likely to be the thinnest plastic imaginable. It might last longer that way and survive being knocked over or bouncing around the attic outside the holiday season when it's on display.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast