Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on DIY Giant Bubble Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thoughts on DIY Giant Bubble Light

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    I think I listed everything I used in this thread somewhere..
    Nope
    I went through the whole thread again, I didnt see any links or desceuptuons for which ones you eventually went with.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know.. I did see that either.. I guess I didn't.. sorry.. I bought them off Amazon but for some reason they do not show up in my purchase history.. Not sure which ones I got now..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    Ya know.. I did see that either.. I guess I didn't.. sorry.. I bought them off Amazon but for some reason they do not show up in my purchase history.. Not sure which ones I got now..
    Well I heard back from the seller, they are apperently acting as intended. (I am very happy with this seller's customer service! )

I poked around in Amazon and the lights appeard to be closer to the $100 range, which was a bit to costly for me. These lights were $35/ea I think for the 40in rall units.

I am still mulling over the value of a retrofit in time/money vs added value. The wife says they are fine as is, so I might not worry about pleasing anyone else .

~Jason

Post Thanks / Like

OK, made my first one last night, it went OK. Took about 45 minutes and I learned some things I would like to do different for the next one. I went about mine a different way. First off, I bought the 40in bubblers off of eBay. Price was good, and customer service was prompt in talking to me, but I am a little disappointed in the color changing. Instead of fading between colors, it bounced around pretty sporadically and doesn't dwell on the same colors very long. Next, I left the handles on, I liked the ease of moving it and figured no one from the road would be able to see it.

I screwed a 9 1/4 in. 2x4 vertically oriented (the "4" is up, the "2" is wide, the "9 1/4" is length) on top of a 4x4 laying down flat. I then took the base off the bubbler and using two of the holes already in the bottom, I screwed the base into the 2x4 (being careful not to cover the screw holes for screwing the base back on). Next I screwed the base back onto the bubbler and placed it into the bucket. I centered the bubbler and screwed it into the bucket from the bottom with 3 1/2in scews. Going this approach lowered my bubbler into the bucket some so I had an amount protruding I liked. It also had the added effect of slightly lighting up the bucket, which I also liked.

My top plastic bowl was sadly slightly smaller than the bucket's rim, so I then screwed in two small blocks of wood about an inch down from the the bucket's rim right where each handle was. Next, I took the bowl, drilled a pilot hole in the center, then ran a 3 1/2in. hole saw in reverse through the bowl. This does some melting in addition to the cutting, but keeps the bit from digging in and spinning the bucket on me. Made the cut very nicely with no cracks. Lastly, I placed the bowl over the top of the bubbler and down to the bucket, taking 2 screws through the bowl to the wood blocks to hold it into place.

It worked out fairly well and the weight is real nice (even before I add some rocks to it like I plan to). It is definitely not top-heavy with it inset to the bucket some. The bowl has the added benefit of lighting up with the colors of the bubbler which is nice, I just wish it was a bit brighter. I also think I am going to add some more wood to my base in the bucket and screw my bowl down to that, it will get rid of me screwing into the side of the bucket in those two places. Lastly, I need to find some sort of white soft foam that I can put around the bubbler in the hold of the bowl. The diameter of the bubbler is about 3 1/8in - 3 1/4in, and my hole saw is 3 1/2in. So it was nice to have the place to get things aligned nice, but I want to keep it from rocking somewhat. I also wish the tip of the bubbler was clear, but I am not sure how to get around that....

the pic:
    https://goo.gl/photos/VhmSh6kSYxqKQxQN8

a quick video I had:
    https://goo.gl/photos/kfDJyxwGRKRbBumk9
    ~Jason

5. Likes goverland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tozzie, I did list the white foam I used. It came from Hobby Lobby. I used two of them glued together then glued to the bowl. If you cut the hole right for the bubbler it will hold the bowl in place.

I found out that I actually ordered my bubblers on ebay and not amazon as I previously thought. I really hate ebay so I try not to look there very often for things.. but alas.. that is where I found those.. Sorry I left that info out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Bubble-LE...cAAOSw2x1XKE45

I had not decided on what I wanted to do for weight. I didn't want to screw thru the bottom of the bucket if I didn't have to. I may just put a couple of 5lbs weights in the bottom so the winds won't blow them around..

I also added LEDs (white) under the bowl on the 2x6 to light up the bowl. I liked it much better than relying on the LEDs in the bubbler to light it. I had a bunch of 120vac white LEDs from modifying the RBLs..

Yours looks great.. keep us posted on any changes

Post Thanks / Like

Plasma: I had seen your previous foam, but I am lookinh for something different. Maybe something like you can use to help insulate your car door when you shut it, only in black. That stuff is like 3/8in thick, a 1/2in wide and adhesive around the back. I want to wrap it around the tube itself where it goes through the bowl...

I made unit #2 today, definetly faster, even with some minor changes. This time for my blocks I rest the bowl on, I drilled out a rivet in each handle and put the screw in there. Otherwise, I kept it moastly the same.

Now to build a pair for my parents and I can cross thiss off this year's todo list before the halfway point!....

~Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Plasma (again), that was the exact same brand and seller i used, only shorter (i bought the 40in). Weird how yours does the nice fade and mine is sporatic. The seller verified that that is what they do, but now I am interested in getting my final 2 in and whether or not they are sporatic as well.

~Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Tozzie, I just plugged mine back in and I was mistaken yet again.. they do jump colors. I guess it was so long ago I forgot how they worked.. (that's what happens when you get old) ha ha.. When I hack them, I will control the colors so I guess I just didn't pay that close attention.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, good to know that the seller wasn't just saying something to get me off their back!!

If you find your writeup on how the PCB is wired, I'd love to see it. I was thinking of throwing an Arduino (or something of that ilk) to do the fading like it should have been doing anyway (not for this year though).
    ~Jason

Post Thanks / Like

I have started in on building one of my two bubblers. I did manage to cut one hole without a hole saw but it wasn't fun or pretty. Hole saw is on order and I did buy an extra bowl, figured I'd break one, so I can do this over... I'll save the messy bowl in case my wife says more are needed.

The lights can be switched out for RGB lights fairly easily. I'm sure those who have seen the insides know this. The pump is an 120v AC pump so that's just a snip and connect to the pump. The circuit board/LEDs comes out easily. There is a hose in the center for the aerator. I've cut circular piece of coro to put in there with a pass through hole for the tube and some channels cut for bullet pixels. I'm going to start testing with bullet pixels tonight and thinking 6 will be perfect.

I'll then use rectangular pixels for under the bowl and use electrical tape to stop bleed over from the tube lights.

-
    Jason

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast