Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding some cutouts for 2017, just have a few ?s

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adding some cutouts for 2017, just have a few ?s

So my show has transformed into a mostly modern show (all pixels and led, nothing really classic anymore). Problem is my wife loves the classic Christmas and I have to admit that I miss those classic decorations as well. So next year, along with all of the modern pixels and whatnot, I will be bringing a little classic back to my show. All the blow molds are coming back out and I want to add some cutouts to my sign displays. A had a couple of ?s though. What thickness plywood and you guys using, 3/4"? What about paint, flat paint with clear over it, or just straight gloss paint? Thanks guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Adding some cutouts for 2017, just have a few ?s

I rarely use 3/4" it's just too expensive, I use 1/2" and glue and screw bracing boards to the back. I use latex semi gloss that you can buy in $3 sample sizes from Home Depot for the exterior of houses. Been doing that for almost 10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Family display since 1982
    Plywood cut outs and motorized
    Over 35,000 lights
    New for 2011
    48 channels of LOR (10% complete)
    Roller Coaster (planning stages)
    Patriotic Mega tree (40% complete)
    Multi-animation skating Snoopy (Planning complete)

Post Thanks / Like

I did Mickey and Minnie, Donald and Daisy Duck and 3 minions this year. trust me when I say a little goes a long way. Purchased some quarts at full price, which ended up being a mistake. The only quart worth buying would be Christmas Red and the color for the back side, black perhaps. Troll your local HD and Lowes, you will find a ton of mess up paints for cheap. While it may not be the dark blue or dark green you want, when its all said and done blue will be blue and green will be green. I thought 3/4" way the way to go. Heavy and Pricey. I use 1/2" and it looks the same from the front as the 3/4". since I decided to seal the paint with a clear coat of gloss lacquer, it really didn't matter what I put underneath it. I bought serval bottles of the craft paint from Michael's for .50 cent each. came in handy for the eyeballs, tounge, bows, or stripes on shirts. what was an absolute lifesaver was the black sharpie, both a medium tip as well as a fine tip. 1st drawing was in pencil super slow and super careful, by the 3rd drawing, I was knocking out a 48" minion drawing in 5 min. btw, I used a projector to shoot the image on the board and stood to the side and traced it. the Mickey and Minnie and Donald and Daisy are 42" tall. as far as the mounting, if you are able to see in the attached pic to the right, I had the bright idea to use fence stakes but the idea was a bad one because there was no room to hammer. I wanted to avoid any hammering once I had unit mounted. what I opted to do instead was the wood figure on the left. used 1/2" pvc pipe with 1/2" emt hangers. you have to give it a lil tap with a hammer to snap it onto the pvc, but it's snug once you do it. make sure your piece is lying on cardboard or towel so you don't scratch the face. I also opted to mount the 1/2" emt hanger with a screw and bolt, using 1/2" you don't have a lot of real estate to grab onto. did a pretty good job at lining up the bolt holes with the black lines and just painted over the screws. I hammered a piece of rebar about 12" into the ground. using 1/2" pvc, either a 3/8" or 1/2" piece of rebar worked for me. i'll have to try and get a better pic to show it, but what I did was cut the pvc so that the rebar came out the top without it sticking out over the top of the wood figure. afterwhich, I used a hose clamp to offer a little bit of security from it just being lifted up off of the rebar. another thing you have to decide is how you are going to do the sides once the figure is cut. I opted to black because is was faster, but I have seen some where the sides match the front, i.e the sides are painted red to match the red shirt on the front. I cheated. I laid the piece face down and stood on the back to ensure the piece was snug to the ground and no gaps and took a .99cent of lowes brand black spray paint and painted the sides. NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON A FLAT SURFACE AND STEP ON AND OFF CAREFULLY!!! if you by chance slip, you will slide the piece through the wet spray paint and have to retouch it up. yup, u guessed it, I did just that!!! fortunately, but still sad, it was on my last one. I rushed, so it was my fault. lastly and probably the must of all must, ditch the jigsaw, get a spiral saw. even with a fine tooth blade you will rip into your piece, especially if you try and make a sharp turn. I picked up an early Christmas gift from lowes, on sale was a rotozip for $49. dremel is great, but not enough power. used both hands because when you are doing zig zag, like the cotton ball of a santa hat, it can grab and run, yup did that too. hope this helps, good luck to you. I will be adding more this year as time allows. my ocd really hindered me in the beginning, but the reality of it, is that from the street you aren't going to see the finite details of the wood figure. the more compliments I got, the more it made me want to draw more for next year and I realized you don't have to be a great artist with mad skills, only a good one with some patience and creativity. minions.jpgMickeyMinnieDonaldDaisy.jpgPvc Mount.jpg

4. Thanks jdesign21 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdj6107 View Post
    I did Mickey and Minnie, Donald and Daisy Duck and 3 minions this year. trust me when I say a little goes a long way. Purchased some quarts at full price, which ended up being a mistake. The only quart worth buying would be Christmas Red and the color for the back side, black perhaps. Troll your local HD and Lowes, you will find a ton of mess up paints for cheap. While it may not be the dark blue or dark green you want, when its all said and done blue will be blue and green will be green. I thought 3/4" way the way to go. Heavy and Pricey. I use 1/2" and it looks the same from the front as the 3/4". since I decided to seal the paint with a clear coat of gloss lacquer, it really didn't matter what I put underneath it. I bought serval bottles of the craft paint from Michael's for .50 cent each. came in handy for the eyeballs, tounge, bows, or stripes on shirts. what was an absolute lifesaver was the black sharpie, both a medium tip as well as a fine tip. 1st drawing was in pencil super slow and super careful, by the 3rd drawing, I was knocking out a 48" minion drawing in 5 min. btw, I used a projector to shoot the image on the board and stood to the side and traced it. the Mickey and Minnie and Donald and Daisy are 42" tall. as far as the mounting, if you are able to see in the attached pic to the right, I had the bright idea to use fence stakes but the idea was a bad one because there was no room to hammer. I wanted to avoid any hammering once I had unit mounted. what I opted to do instead was the wood figure on the left. used 1/2" pvc pipe with 1/2" emt hangers. you have to give it a lil tap with a hammer to snap it onto the pvc, but it's snug once you do it. make sure your piece is lying on cardboard or towel so you don't scratch the face. I also opted to mount the 1/2" emt hanger with a screw and bolt, using 1/2" you don't have a lot of real estate to grab onto. did a pretty good job at lining up the bolt holes with the black lines and just painted over the screws. I hammered a piece of rebar about 12" into the ground. using 1/2" pvc, either a 3/8" or 1/2" piece of rebar worked for me. i'll have to try and get a better pic to show it, but what I did was cut the pvc so that the rebar came out the top without it sticking out over the top of the wood figure. afterwhich, I used a hose clamp to offer a little bit of security from it just being lifted up off of the rebar. another thing you have to decide is how you are going to do the sides once the figure is cut. I opted to black because is was faster, but I have seen some where the sides match the front, i.e the sides are painted red to match the red shirt on the front. I cheated. I laid the piece face down and stood on the back to ensure the piece was snug to the ground and no gaps and took a .99cent of lowes brand black spray paint and painted the sides. NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON A FLAT SURFACE AND STEP ON AND OFF CAREFULLY!!! if you by chance slip, you will slide the piece through the wet spray paint and have to retouch it up. yup, u guessed it, I did just that!!! fortunately, but still sad, it was on my last one. I rushed, so it was my fault. lastly and probably the must of all must, ditch the jigsaw, get a spiral saw. even with a fine tooth blade you will rip into your piece, especially if you try and make a sharp turn. I picked up an early Christmas gift from lowes, on sale was a rotozip for $49. dremel is great, but not enough power. used both hands because when you are doing zig zag, like the cotton ball of a santa hat, it can grab and run, yup did that too. hope this helps, good luck to you. I will be adding more this year as time allows. my ocd really hindered me in the beginning, but the reality of it, is that from the street you aren't going to see the finite details of the wood figure. the more compliments I got, the more it made me want to draw more for next year and I realized you don't have to be a great artist with mad skills, only a good one with some patience and creativity. minions.jpgMickeyMinnieDonaldDaisy.jpgPvc Mount.jpg
    If you decide to do anything larger then the singles I would recommend putting the boards on the back like I mentioned. Also the way I install mine is a little
    Simples. 1/2" emt banged in the ground and I use the 1/2" emt clamps with screws into the 1 by 2's in the back. Quick and easy with a screw gun.

Over 35,000 lights
    New for 2011

Post Thanks / Like

do you have any video of your animation. above my skillset, but would love to learn that in 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Wow....that's a lot of great information. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There is some in my day time walk thru, each piece is different then one another. Most our stuff is way past just a simple arm waving or something. I can get some more this weekend as my lights are up till Saturday

Over 35,000 lights
    New for 2011

Post Thanks / Like

that is really spectacular. downright awesome. I don't suppose there is a youtube how to out there somewhere??

Post Thanks / Like

I'm adding a couple of cut outs this year that are about 6' tall. I'm looking for different options on how to stand them up and keep them up in the wind. They are made out of 1/4" thick pvc (sintra). I was thinking of using 1" x 2" boards hot glued to the back that could be attached to a post in the ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

The 1" x 2" would provide support for the 1/4" material to maintain a flat plane. You didn't mention the width of the piece; if it's wide you may want to place some 1" x 2" horizontally as well. A 1" x 4" attached to the back would provide a wider surface to mount a post driven in the ground or even two posts if the piece is wide. Conduit or a 2" x 2" make good solid posts. A 6' tall piece could use a kicker or brace as well, place it at around 60 degrees to the ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast