Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grinch still available?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grinch still available?

I have several that I can part with.

PM me.

Post Thanks / Like

The Grinch was old technology when I got here, and I've been here for many years now. The natural evolution to that product seems to have been the renard products. As Mike said, it takes it to the next step and does dimming. There's many variations to the renard boards, but they all run similar firmware and pic chips. You've got the Renard SS, and also the Renard Plus versions. I prefer the Renard plus as it uses more modern parts with a lower overall parts count. Plus it seems that it's easier to get the Renard Plus boards these days as the SS group buys aren't nearly as common as they used to be. But it's personal preference which you like better. Another good option is looking at Dave's digwdf store, which will be closing at the end of the season. He's got a bunch of less common renard board configurations and they're all on closeout now or soon.

Post Thanks / Like

For great a/c lighting control , personally I do use and recommend Renard controllers like these
    http://radiant-holidays.com/radiant_...ex&cPath=14_15

and i love these for SSRs
    http://radiant-holidays.com/radiant_...roducts_id=164
    Flash Flash Blink Blink,,Oh What A Relief It Is

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also recommend a Renard controller for traditional AC lighting but would advise you consider doing pixels instead. Mains voltage isn't kid friendly and there's a lot of it exposed on those boards. You could get an ESPixelStick ($20 or less) or Renard Plus ESP Stick $13, a power supply and one or more strings of pixels. With that you can make some props and play around with sequencing. You can also start with indoor props so you don't have to weatherproof anything. There's not much time left this year either. Your total cost could be around $50 - $75 and your kids have less risk of being electrocuted. If you still want an outdoor show, put out your AC lights and just add some sequenced pixel props.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one I designed years ago....
    and if you want a Renard controller, no need to follow 'off site' links, the Renard SS controllers are available right here on DIYC
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...urrent-9-5-18)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I this how I would PM you? I am new to forums like this and am not familiar with the gargon. I am a A+ certified computer so I can build and repair computers.

Post Thanks / Like

I did buy 4 Renard 32 Plus controllers but I cannot get them to work, the green led does not come on. I am not sure how comfortable I am using these types of boards that have to programmed. In my Christmas display I wrote my own Visual Basic version that I call Rudolf. The reason I wrote it was 2 fold. ! I did not have the money to but software, and 2 this works on computer as slow as 166 Mega hertz and Windows 98. I made all this back in 2007 and it has been working reliable for all these years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    Here is one I designed years ago....
    and if you want a Renard controller, no need to follow 'off site' links, the Renard SS controllers are available right here on DIYC
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...urrent-9-5-18)
    Wayne J, i'm sorry, I forgot they were available here
    Flash Flash Blink Blink,,Oh What A Relief It Is

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricki Baron View Post
    I did buy 4 Renard 32 Plus controllers but I cannot get them to work, the green led does not come on. I am not sure how comfortable I am using these types of boards that have to programmed.
    I'm sure someone can help you troubleshoot those controllers. Start a new thread and we'll see if we can get you going. Make sure you describe the exact controller you're using and whether or not you've programmed it. Pictures would help too. If you're not getting a green light then you probably have an assembly issue. With regards to programming, you only have to do it once if you chain the controllers. We can help you figure it out or someone might be willing to program the IC's for you.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great. I will work on getting pictures and a full explanation about where I am at. Last year I was running 18,000 lights through 44 channels, but this year Ia m wanting 64 channels so that I can run lighted arches across my driveway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast