Thread: Grinch still available?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grinch still available?

Hey guys,

I have been reading through this forum over the past couple years. i think it is time to take the plunge.
    i have 2 kids, 8&4. my daughter (8) is staring to get into electronics and wants to build a light show.
    i will be helping her, but this is HER show. i am just there for labor and funding!

so since she will be soldering and sequencing, i thought we should keep it simple and go with the Grinch.
    we already have a ton of 100ct inca strings in various colors, icicle lights for the roof line, and some C7 Leds to line the roof line also.

i know that most of you guys are way past what i am trying to put together, but we are on a tight budget and trying to use what we already have.

i figured we would make some arches, mini trees, a few candy canes, a couple spot lights on some wreaths, maybe border the windows.

so i guess my first question is, are the boards for the Grinch still available?

Thanks,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grinch still available?

The member (wjohn) that used to supply the boards has not been to the site in over two years, so it is unlikely. You might be able to pick up one used, but that might not be a good idea. Very few modern PCs have a parallel port that the Grinch needs to run. The most common AC controllers are the Renard SS series. They have great documentation and there are thousands of them in use.
    WayneJ still sells the kits here http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...121#post228121
    2012 Second Animated Christmas
    http://vimeo.com/33886466
    http://www.christmasinwarren.com

Become a Supporting Member of DIYC! Click Here
    Tip: Backup your sequences on a free cloud storage site like Dropbox. Click Here for free 2Gb storage.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...

3. Likes Wayne J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carl,

I have a whole box of Grinch boards and converters that I don't use anymore since I started to use some pixels. If your interested in some I will give you a good deal on some used stuff. Finding bare Grinch boards will be an issue for you as they have become extremely rare the past couple of years. I also have the converter boards to allow an RS485 interface to your computer. Most who still have Grinch controllers want to hang on to them.

If you are interested let me know and I will get with you regarding cost. I am currently in Florida but traveling home tomorrow, so there might me a slight delay in any response.

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to change up your thinking. I started with a Grinch and within a year switch to a Ren64. You will need to still build the SSRs for either, they both handle 64 channels. The Grinch is only on off control. The Ren64 will also give you the ability to fade. Might be a better starting point.

Post Thanks / Like

I think building up a couple of Renard 8 or 16 channel boards would be the way to go. That would be a fun soldering project to do along with your daughter.

This is my first year and I have involved my two teens in the project. My daughter loves sequencing and is good at soldering. My son loves to build the props and frames etc. Together we have build a nice smaller show, however it was still a lot of work. One thing I underestimated was just the sure amount of money I would spend on cable, extension cords etc to get power, data, etc to where I needed it.

I have spent the last 3 years working with kids and mentoring in electronics, programming, 3D design and printing, soldering etc. I find that most of them really love this stuff and are naturals at it. Good luck and I applaud you for involving your kids. The skills they will learn doing this project will take them far.

Regards,

Kevin

My only advice to you from my experience is to start soon. There is a lot to learn and understand.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a box full of grinch stuff a few years ago and never got around to getting it setup. I can check on what I have when I get home tonight as well if you are interested. Its been quite some time since i opened that box so i dont know what i have.

8. Thanks bob81354 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dvc & Teemonie,

Hey guys PM me. Let me know what you have.
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, I'll let you know when I'm back at home in Illinois tomorrow after lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carl,

I have 3 fully assembled and functional Grinch boards. I also have 1 fully assembled and functional Ren-C board that will add the ability to dim all 64 channels of one Grinch controller board. These were not assembled by me, I bought them from another forum member.

Let me know if there is interest.