Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scheduler ends show prematurely

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scheduler ends show prematurely

I have a series of shows scheduled to run every half hour from 5pm to 11pm. The schedule simply stops (shutdown shown in log) with no obvious reason. It's just as though 11pm came early.

v3.3u2 #305

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scheduler ends show prematurely

Have you also checked the applicationError.log for anything around the same time when it stopped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks CScotty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have - no errors reported.

Post Thanks / Like

No one with any ideas? I can't get through an evening without hitting the stop and then play button to get things going again 4 or 5 times.

Post Thanks / Like

when it shuts down is it at the same song each time?
    James WinterHaven Fl

7. Thanks CScotty thanked for this post
    Likes CScotty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    or is it the same amount of time between restart and shutdown (length)?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    Thanks TazChaLet - that was an excellent question and got me thinking.

There is only one song and it so happens that the show opens with it. What I see is that after about 1 min or so after starting a new show it decides to shutdown. But that made me wonder if the sequence & song reads from the disc might be the issue. All the Vixen data is stored on a networked drive. After about 10 mins of inactivity the drive goes to sleep and wakes up on the next access. The problem is that it takes a few seconds to spin up the drive and respond.

I will try moving it all to a local drive and see if that solves the issue.

Best
    CS

Post Thanks / Like

on your show computer you should not have the power settings on sleep mode and power down can cause problems
    Quote Originally Posted by CScotty View Post

There is only one song and it so happens that the show opens with it. What I see is that after about 1 min or so after starting a new show it decides to shutdown. But that made me wonder if the sequence & song reads from the disc might be the issue. All the Vixen data is stored on a networked drive. After about 10 mins of inactivity the drive goes to sleep and wakes up on the next access. The problem is that it takes a few seconds to spin up the drive and respond.

Best
    CS
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

At this point, you haven't really given us anything to look into.
    Anything abnormal that prevents it from continuing will log an error. And if it stops normally, it should log that normal end event to the info log. So there must be something in the logs. Are you sure you're looking at the correct logs? The logs are always logged to the default profile at the default location regardless of where your actual profile is located. So look in the documents\vixen 3\logs folder. If you take all of the log files that show they were modified on the last day this problem occurred, zip them up and post them, we'll take a look at them.
    But from your description, it sounds like the show is ending when you told it to. That's the only thing that would give you a normal shutdown condition. Are you absolutely sure your schedule is set up for the right times and dates? And the computer clock is right?

12. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CScotty View Post

Best
    CS
    You should not be pointing vixen to a network drive for your profile or sequences. This needs to be on a local drive. You're asking for data corruption by doing this. You also need to make sure that only one piece of software has access to the local folder at any given time.
    It's no problem using a network drive to move data around, but the copy vixen is using needs to be on a local hard drive (not USB, not flash). So to do your shared data, you should set up a sync software that will sync from the network drive to a folder on the local hard drive. FreeFileSync and SyncToy are good options for this. You also need to be in control of exactly when these sync events happen so that you can make sure vixen is closed before copying. Also important to note needs to be closed while the data is being copied. So you can ether close-copy/sync-reopen manually, or set this up via task scheduler or similar to happen on a regular interval outside of show hours.

With all that said, this is not likely the problem with your scheduled show issue. Once vixen opens, it loads the whole profile to memory. When the schedule starts, it loads all sequences and audio to memory. It only reads the files from disk once. So the sleeping drive shouldn't be an issue (at least not one that causes this specific problem).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast