Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: newbie with a MEGA 2560 and VIXEN 3

Post Thanks / Like

Default newbie with a MEGA 2560 and VIXEN 3

first off im new here and new to adruino, ive seen alot of these threads and read more that i have all year i think, anyways i have a mega 2560 and waiting for my relay board to come in so as an alternative until i get it i have LEDs plugged into my board. I have vixen 3 (and 2 but would like to use 3) on my pc and have been trying for hours and hours trying to figure out how to get my mega linked to vixen and use the sequence ive made. ive tried many many....many, codes i have found on here, youtube, ect and the ones that do upload they usually have a random mode with works on my leds but once i open vixen my board and leds just go nuts and has a strobing session. i close vixen and im back to the random mode. as i said im new to all of this and so of coarse any help would be greatly appreciated. as far as code writing im no expect but get the jiff of it all. still leaning code for sure. i also have seen others use a second usb module rather than a cable straight to adruino..is that my issue? or can i just use the usb cable straight to adruino? thank you all in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: newbie with a MEGA 2560 and VIXEN 3

You should be able to use just the USB cable to the Arduino. I use Windows 10 and Vixen 3.2u1 build #137.

What is the sketch you are using now?

What relay board are you waiting for?

Have you tried VictorPV sketch found on this site. It works well and has random mode. It does not do fading.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a common omission by beginners and that is many sketches use a header and sometimes both a header and footer that you must place in the Vixen Generic Serial. Check your sketch to see if it uses them. Whatever the sketch uses add them to the Generic Serial and try again.

Post Thanks / Like

i have windows 7, vixen 3.3u2 build #305. i havent been able to find the appropriate sketch for the MEGA board. i found a few but when go to upload there was always some sort of error message. the others that did upload i believe were for UNO and the random mode on them worked but not when vixen loaded. I am waiting on just a 4ch on/off mech relay board to get the hang of it before i go for 1 or 2, 16ch boards. i have tried the Victor sketch but same issue came about. it made my board and LEDS go nuts and never went with vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LightUp View Post
    There is a common omission by beginners and that is many sketches use a header and sometimes both a header and footer that you must place in the Vixen Generic Serial. Check your sketch to see if it uses them. Whatever the sketch uses add them to the Generic Serial and try again.
    i did put a header and footer in my vixen program. Vixen_START, VIXEN_END

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amrutherford2012 View Post
    i did put a header and footer in my vixen program. Vixen_START, VIXEN_END
    You can't use an arbitrary header and footer. You must use the exact text that the sketch is designed for. Vixen 3 doesn't accept a footer with a text length as you used. It only handles up to 4 characters.
    Since you didn't publish the sketch you are using, I can't be sure what you are supposed to use, but I haven't seen a sketch here that uses your header/footer, unless zparticle's older sketches but they would only work with Vixen 2.
    Last edited by LightUp; 12-20-2016 at 06:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

ive taken out the header and footer and the sketch is the victor sketch. no mods

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amrutherford2012 View Post
    ive taken out the header and footer and the sketch is the victor sketch. no mods
    The "victor" sketch uses a header ~! so you will need to add this to your Vixen generic serial configuration in the header box.
    It doesn't use a footer so leave it un-checked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LightUp View Post
    The "victor" sketch uses a header ~! so you will need to add this to your Vixen generic serial configuration in the header box.
    It doesn't use a footer so leave it un-checked.
    made the adjustment and no effects. but thank you for clarifying the mistake

Post Thanks / Like

If you have been successful uploading the VictorPV sketch and it runs the self test and then runs the random mode, then the problem is with your Vixen configuration. Can you show the configuration of the controller in Vixen?
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast