Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little help with Teensy

Post Thanks / Like

Default A little help with Teensy

I am very new to working with LED controllers and have been able to figure out some of the very basics but would like to begin upscaling as I begin to further understand some of the intermediate concepts.
    I would like to start working with a teensy 3.2 and an OctoWS2811 adaptor to control a mix of WS2811 and WS2812b lights using vixenlights.
    I am having a hard time with getting started with a sketch as I am unsure on how to work with multiple pins/channels.
    Does anybody have a sample sketch and a basic diagram of how pin connection setup?
    Fore the most part I will be working with a lot of single strings (WS2811) and on a separate controller a mega tree fifty pixels high and 28 - 32 strips wide. (WS2812b)
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A little help with Teensy

There appears to be a few users here working with the Teensy 3. I have not yet used my Teensy3.1.
    Have you looked at this link to get started? https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_OctoWS2811.html
    It has a sketch to drive 8 strips, if I understood it right.

3. Thanks tecnageek thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Edited for Duplicate posts
    Last edited by tecnageek; 01-12-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Edited for Duplicate posts

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I wasn't of more help.
    I don't have any WS2812b strings, but I thought they used the same protocol as the WS2811. The wiring may be slightly different.
    The OctoWS2811 board must be used since the Teensy 3x library uses 8 (octo) lines, or rows of pixels. From this I gather that the setup is for video or pixel arrays, but it can also be used in a non-video project. It is the addressing that tells the Teensy which LED to turn on or off.
    See http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_OctoWS2811.html and the section "LED Addressing & Different Strip Lengths" for the concept. You don't need to connect all 8 lines with pixel strings, as long as you use the addressing scheme with the pixel strings you do attach.

EDIT:
    I looked at this site; https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...t-hookup-guide to see how they wired the WS2812b. The sample sketch uses the same Adafruit library that I used for my WS2811. So code wise I don't see the difference. You could use the WS2811 on line 1 of the Teensy 8 lines and wire a WS2812b on line 2. Then noting how many pixels you have on each line you use the addressing scheme to code the setPixelColor() array.
    Last edited by LightUp; 12-20-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about all the extra posts. Didn't realize they had to be admin approved. Thought they were deleted
    The wiring is exactly the same for both types of lights. I thought you have to tell the library what type of lights you are using for each output.
    Your edit comment looks like it should be helpful.
    Thank again. I will be receiving my teensy shortly and I will do some testing then.

Post Thanks / Like

OK.
    The concept could also be tried on an Arduino UNO, or MEGA with the Adafruit neo-pixel library.
    The Teensy 3.1 allows control of more pixels, but requires a voltage translator since the Teensy 3x uses 3.3V while the pixel data line uses 5V.
    The UNO and MEGA are "5V ready".

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: A little help with Teensy

OK. I have my Teensy 3.2 soldered to an OCTOWS2811 (5V translator) I have a small string of 25 test lights on the strip 1 position, and when I load a rainbow test sketch all is working and all the pixels light up and change color per sketch.
    My current hurdle is controlling light via Vixen lights. I have loaded the following sketch onto my teensy-octo combo, created a generic numbered group of 25, used RGB color handling (75 patch point) patched them to a generic serial controller (75 outputs) matched the serial speed of the sketch @ 115200 and added VIXStart to the header. open a sequence and turn on preview select a simple effect like "Set Level" and nothing.
    PS Yes. the lights are connected to a separate power supply 5v 30a converter, that I have used to power other projects and powers the pixels fine using a test sketch.
    Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
    /*
    ************************  Heinz Doessegger  -  www.technikfreak.ch  ******************************

Vchristmas v1.0 - January 2015
    Documentation for the project:
    Http://www.technikfreak.ch/category/technik-elektronik/technik-elektronik-projekte/technik-elektronik-projekte-weihnachtsbeleuchtung/

HARDWARE: TEENSY 3.1 / 3.2

ARDUINO PLUGIN: TEENSYDUINO with OctoWS2811 library
    Http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

LED: WS2811

SOFTWARE: Vixen Lights 3.x
    Program to control WS2811 RGB LED by Vixen Lights 3.x http://www.vixenlights.com/
    DISPLAY CONFIGURATION - COMx (x = COM port of Arduino) 115200, None, 8 One
    SEND A TEXT HEADER: VIXStart
    Channels: Pro LED requires 3 channels (red / green / blue)
    Color Handling: RGB

TIP: For beginners
    Start with a 50 series LED. LedsPerStrip and PixelCount to 50.
    In Vixen Lights, create 50 LED elements and map to 150 outputs via the Color Handling RGB.

************************  Heinz Doessegger  -  www.technikfreak.ch  ******************************
    */

#include <OctoWS2811.h>

const int ledsPerStrip = 25;              // Maximum number of pixels per string
    int   PixelCount = 200;                      // Effective number of pixels
    float hell = 0.50;                          // Dimmer 1.00 = 100% brightness - 0.50 = 50% brightness 

DMAMEM int displayMemory[ledsPerStrip*6];
    int drawingMemory[ledsPerStrip*6];
    const int config = WS2811_GRB | WS2811_800kHz;
    OctoWS2811 leds(ledsPerStrip, displayMemory, drawingMemory, config);
    int pixelValue = 0;

void setup()
    {
      delay(300);
      Serial.begin(115200);                     // Speed of data transmission from Vixen Lights 3 to the Arduino

leds.begin();
      for (int i=0;i<PixelCount;i++)            // Initialization - Once all LEDs light up blue
         {
           leds.setPixel(i, 0, 0, 200*hell);
         }
           leds.show();   
         delay (5000);  
      for (int i=0;i<PixelCount;i++)
         {
           leds.setPixel(i, 0, 0, 0);
         }
         leds.show();   
    }

void loop() 
    {                    

if (Serial.available()>5)                // Wait for data transmission from Vixen Lights
      {
         waitForVixenHeader();                   // Call function: Waiting for start string

for (int pixCount=0; pixCount<PixelCount;pixCount++)       // Do this for as many Pixels defined in PixelCount
        {
          int RGB[3];                             // Array for the three RGB color valuesArray for the three RGB color values                   
          for (int color = 0;color<3;color++)     // Three values each form one RGB LED
          {                       
            while (Serial.available() < 1)        // Wait for the next number
            {
              delay(10);
            }
            RGB[color] = int(Serial.read()*hell); // Assign color value to the array with brightness correction
          }                                       // Repeat until all three values are read

leds.setPixel(pixCount, RGB[1], RGB[0], RGB[2]);

}                                         // Repeat until all LEDs are read
        leds.show();                              // Activate color patterns                             
      }                                           // Get the next color pattern
    }                                             // Loop end

void waitForVixenHeader()
    {
        char *header="VIXStart";
        char buffer[8];
        int index = 0;

while (true) 
        {
            int inByte = Serial.read();
            if(inByte==-1)
            {
              continue;
            }

buffer[index] = inByte;
            if(buffer[index]!=header[index])
            {            
                index=-1;                     
            }

buffer[index+1] = 0;              
            index++;
            if(index==8)
            {
              return;
            }
        }
    }

Post Thanks / Like

Well, for starters, why is your buffer only 3 characters while your header is 8 characters?

char *header="VIXStart";
    char buffer[3];

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LightUp View Post
    Well, for starters, why is your buffer only 3 characters while your header is 8 characters?

char *header="VIXStart";
    char buffer[3];
    So would you recommend my header be the max number of pixels and the buffer the number of digits in the header?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast