Thread: Questions about a Gemmy 8 foot carousel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about a Gemmy 8 foot carousel

I recently bought a Gemmy 8 foot carousel (pictured below) for $25.00, because the owner stated that it no longer inflated the Carousel entirely. It is enclosed in clear plastic. I decided to "take a flyer" on it, and I'm starting to look at it now to see if perhaps there are holes in it, or the blower needs servicing or replacing. You can imagine that there is LOTS of fabric to go through. The first thing I did was trace the two wires going from the motor to see where they went (in addition to bulbs attached to them. It has a music box that plays four Christmas tunes (doesn't work), and also runs to what looks like the rotation mechanism for the carousel.

I was under the impression that inflatables that large with what amounts to a globe generally had two blowers -- one for the outside inflatable and one for the inside -- but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have one? I think they were produced in 2006. Obviously, it would shorten the learning curve if I could get information on how it works from someone who has one that has one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions about a Gemmy 8 foot carousel

Why is my AirblownŽ is not fully inflating?

The product should fully inflate, have motion, rotate, or snow properly under most conditions. If it is not, please check the following:

It is on a level surface.
    The fans are level and the intake vent of the fan is not obstructed by fabric or grass.
    The output vent (exiting the inflation fan) is not obstructed by fabric or any other foreign object.
    The fan is plugged directly into a wall outlet OR a heavy duty outdoor extension cord
    All zippers are zipped. Each piece may have two or more zippers. Sometimes there are zippers that are hidden in the seams. If you have a globe, sometimes there are zipper on the characters inside of the globe. Please double check to make sure all are zipped.
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Two of the most common troubles with air blown inflatables are:

1. The fan gets weak with age and can't handle inflation. You can try to put a drop of fine machine type oil on bearings and see if that helps. Also look very closely at the fan bearings and see if they have dust or crap in them which will slow the fan down. It can be a trick to find the new fans that will fit a specific air blown but they are out there.

2. The fabric gets weak from sunlight UV exposure as well as rain, wind, and time. A quick way to help seal up the fabric is to get a can of spray silicone for fabric (water proofing spray) and spray it into the inflatable with the fan running and the inflatable as filled as possible. You should see the inflatable get fuller and tighter if this is the problem. Seams on inflatables are also a source of air leaks as well and this will sometimes fix them or you have to use a seam sealer on them to fix big leaks.

Some of the bigger ones do have two blowers but I have never had a carousel so can't say on this one. It does sound like your fan is weak though if it will not inflate all the way but it could be air leaking as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the process of checking both the possibility that the fan has gotten weak, or there are multiple fabric leaks. I too have experienced these. The fan SEEMS to be functioning properly; I have it partially apart at the moment and it looks very clean -- more than most of mine are, as a matter of fact! There are no signs of any kind of burning or stress, but I WILL still give it a shot of WD-40. Bearings also lube very well with a small dab of white lithium grease, and I might try that as well. What I'm planning to do next is feed in a hair dryer and run them BOTH to see how much more inflates. It will help to indicate where the main problem is, I think.

I have located three zippers so far, and all were nicely closed. It seems that the fabric base to the carousel inflates, but the clear bubble and top don't even BEGIN to inflate. It leads me to believe that there is something more than a few minor leaks somewhere. I suspect that in addition to the possibility of a zipper I haven't found yet being open, the whole carousel assembly may be twisted, because there isn't even a SIGN of air in it. When an inflatable starts to wear and develop leaks at the seam over time, generally ALL of it inflates, but it's soft. In THIS situation, the whole last part to inflate -- the bubble, carousel inside, and the top -- doesn't show even a sign of air.

I'm sure you can appreciate that the main problem in diagnosing this is the massive amount of fabric that has to be dealt with. One of the things I've found helpful so far is to use the colors to identify which part belongs to which section!

By the way, Thompson's puts out a spray fabric waterproofer, designed to be sprayed on outdoor furniture fabric. I have used that quite successfully in the past. Again, the problem with doing this initially is the fact that only part of it is inflated. Any other insights anyone may have on this will DEFINITELY be appreciated. That's a bunch for your answers so far!

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading page were it says for twisted parts you need to unzip as it is inflating and try and untwist it
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw View Post
    I recently bought a Gemmy 8 foot carousel (pictured below) for $25.00, because the owner stated that it no longer inflated the Carousel entirely. It is enclosed in clear plastic. I decided to "take a flyer" on it, and I'm starting to look at it now to see if perhaps there are holes in it, or the blower needs servicing or replacing. You can imagine that there is LOTS of fabric to go through. The first thing I did was trace the two wires going from the motor to see where they went (in addition to bulbs attached to them. It has a music box that plays four Christmas tunes (doesn't work), and also runs to what looks like the rotation mechanism for the carousel.

I was under the impression that inflatables that large with what amounts to a globe generally had two blowers -- one for the outside inflatable and one for the inside -- but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have one? I think they were produced in 2006. Obviously, it would shorten the learning curve if I could get information on how it works from someone who has one that has one.
    mattyw,
    I have personally not dealt with any inflatables yet that have more than one blower, however that doesn't mean there aren't any. I just don't have any big enough to need more than one. Your later post sounded like you have a twisted section that has closed the airflow. Having an inflatable that has a rotation motor that has gotten twisted before my bet is that it is near the center of the carousel. Mine always did this when it didn't inflate fully before the rotation motor started. In tracing the power cable to the rotation motor did you find a little box with the power wire from the main blower going in and the wire to the rotation motor coming out? If so my bet is that is a time delay start for the rotation motor and it is not very well sealed. I know because water has gotten in mine and destroyed it. During the summer I will be taking it apart and figuring out what components failed and repairing it. So what I would do is;
    1) Determine if there is a twist somewhere and untwist it. This can be a bit of a challenge. I had to cut the zip tie restraining the motor and carefully untwist the fabric around it and then retie it.
    2) Once that is done plug it in and see if it blows up any better. If so, you are headed in the right direction.
    3) Take note once you plug it in if the carousel tries to start rotating before it is fully inflated.
    4) If it does then it is either a) the timer is either not working or it doesn't have one. or b) your fan is either weak or you have to many leaks.
    I want to say that the time delay on mine was either 1 or 2 minutes. Sounds like a long time, but if it is taking forever to inflate that is not long at all and it will get you all twisted up in a hurray.
    I hope that this helps somewhat. I look forward to hearing how your journey to repair it goes and if I can be of any help I will be glad to offer assistance where I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I worked on it last night, and you're dead on. It's not only twisted, parts of it are INVERTED! It turns out that the clear plastic part with the carousel in it is actually double walled, and when I carefully examined it (for perhaps the 20th time), I noticed that there were TWO clear sections, separated by fabric, instead of one! I also checked a video on YouTube, showing one being inflated, and sure enough -- there was only ONE clear plastic. Looks like someone had actually pulled out parts of it through a zipper, and didn't put it back properly. A large zipper near the blower unit was actually wrong side out, with further confirmed what had happened.

I'm slowly working it out, using the seams as reference to determine the right and wrong side, but I'm sure you can appreciate that this is a MESS that may take me quite a while to straighten out. There are loads of material in this thing!

I keep telling myself, though, that I bought it for $25.00, and they're currently selling on eBay for between $300 and $400, so in the end it will be worth it.

8. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mattyw,

Did you ever get the carousel sorted out? Curious to know if you did and how it is working now.

Regards,
    John.