Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building the Ultimate Mega tree pole/ flag pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Building the Ultimate Mega tree pole/ flag pole

After this years trials and tribulations with my make shift Mega tree, I have decided I will be adding a permanent flag pole where my Mega tree will reside.

So this leads to my question I want to build the ultimate flag pole which will be "Mega tree" Ready.

I had planned to build this new flag pole approximately 20' tall a little under or over is fine.

My current construction list would be as follows. (AND YES this may be over kill)

1 - 12" x 48" concrete base.
    2 - Pole 1 = 10' x 2" Galvanized steel pipe.
    3 - 2" to 1 1/2" reducer
    4 - Pole 2 = 10' x 1 1/2" Galvanized steel pipe.
    5 - 1 1/2 to 1" galvanized reducer
    6 - 5' x 1" Galvanized steep pipe.
    6 - 2 pulleys
    7 - cleat
    8 - Rope - 7mm power rope capable of handling 2200lb working load.

This should give me a 21' Flag pole with 4' of the pole in the ground.

My reason for 2 pulleys rather than 1 is so I can raise and lower my lights more evenly as well as having more stability for ring which my lights will hang from.

My only thought at this point is the Tree topper, and how to easily get my Star to the top of the tree. At first thought I was thinking to maybe put a rope inside of the flag pole and run it up to a cap. I would then be able to some how pop the cap off with a long pole lower it down and replace the cap with my topper and raise it back into place with minimal effort from the ground.

I am also thinking that it would be great to be able to use this same pole for my Antenna maybe?

Lastly any other suggestions before I get started on this project would be much appreciated

Thanks,
    -Nick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Building the Ultimate Mega tree pole/ flag pole

If I were designing this I would leave overlap between the poll sections. My paranoid design skills would want at least 25 - 50% Meaning a 10' pipe gets you 5-7 feet in height. Getting to less than a foot may lead to pipes bending unless you anchor each section.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

May want to consider a Telescopic Flagpole, https://thediyoutlet.com/products/25...ZFXhoCmIrw_wcB, It would help in changing out the Ball for the Tree topper, though I am not sure how easy it would be to raise w/ the lights attached, you may need to still use your pulley system to raise the lights or some sort of setup like Walter Monkhouse's Jump or ASAP pole to raise it w/ the lights attached.
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Post Thanks / Like

I used 1-1/4" top rail fence pole.

6" diameter sonotube filled with cement buried 3 feet, first rail pole cut at 8 feet so the first 5 foot are above ground. second 10 foot pole sites on top the first for a 15foot height.
    I add a 1-1/2" grey electrical conduit over it for display periods.. small 3 foot section with the pulleys and tree topper is added, 3 point guywires

center ring is raised lowered using the pulleys and a small rope.

has withstood hurricane force winds and has been in use for over 8 years now without issue.
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

I use a telescoping flag pole. it's 20' above ground. I only have 24 strings of lights on it and goes up and down easily. I've been doing this for 10 years now and had no issues with the flag pole at all. I took a 2x10 board and cut it to a 10" round piece for the top and stainless cup hooks to secure lights to the board. A hole drilled at the center of the 10" round allows for an eye bolt for whatever size thread your pole takes for a topper. Hoist it up a section at a time, works well for me..
    Serenity prayer for Xmas addicts:
    God, Grant my wife the serenity to accept the things she cannot change
    The courage to ignore my impulse purchases
    And the wisdom to know we need more lights

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't need a flag pole, the best mega trees are built from Rohn Radio Tower. You can usually find some for cheap in HAM radio forums. Many towers are capable of holding hundreds of pounds. I can climb mine and hook strings right on the top.

They also have an adapter on the top that fits a tree topper pipe really easily.

Below is an example:
    https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=25G
    https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=45AG1

Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer a flag pole.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 25' telescopic flagpole and have been looking around for ideas and how others approached this. Keep us posted on how your project moves along!

Post Thanks / Like

So, lack of updates on this thread... I am moving forward with my 25' telescoping flag pole using a welded 16 hook tophat with a star on top.

I used small aircraft guy wires and zip tied a C9 LED every 6-7 inches. I plan to run on a renard 24.

I still have serious weight reservations with what I have made so far even though it is a higher end flagpole with thick gauge aluminum. I fear the weak points will be the pins that keep the sections vertical.

I seriously doubt it would hold a pixel setup... maybe after assembly later this week I will change my mind... time will tell.

I'll post some pictures and note my findings....

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the lack of update. I ended up purchasing a Superior Pole 1 http://www.tele-pole.com/flagpoles/superior-1-flagpole/...

Works very well thus far.

11. Likes TravCam liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast