Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3 LOR CTB16PC controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3 LOR CTB16PC controllers

I have googled this topic to death and have given up.... Can anyone help me fill in the missing link? I am trying to get the CTB16 to run from Vixen. I have seen posts where they say it is easy with the LOR dongle.. ( which is the USB to 485 adapter). I have this dongle, can run the LOR hardware panel and everything works fine. I am trying OPEN DMX and DMX pro mapped to a 16 channel generic group... nothing... What is the ethernet pinout? Is there something i am missing?

Thanks in advance.. Someone solves this i will paypal you 20 bucks! Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3 LOR CTB16PC controllers

I don't have any of the hardware so I can't speak definitively. But the LOR dongle is just an FTDI USB to serial device. This is exactly what a dmx open is. LOR software uses it differently, but you can certainly use the same dongle as an open dmx device. So in vixen set it up as a dmx open controller. It's definitely not a pro. That's completely different.
    When you're using it this way, it's now outputting dmx data but it's still using the LOR wiring pinout. Since you're connected to a LOR controller, that should be just fine, no wiring pinout adapter needed.
    As to the controller, it's my understanding that they autodetect the incoming data but you do need to set the ID to correspond with the dmx range of channels you want to use.
    The down side of dmx open is that there's no settings to configure and there's not real good ways of troubleshooting either. If you check the vixen logs it should tell you if it's having trouble connecting to the device. If no such errors are logged, you should be getting data out of the dongle. You can't really verify that without a known working dmx device (or tester). You could test for signal presence by putting an LED across the D+ and ground pins. It should flicker fast. It doesn't tell you what data is coming out. But it would tell you that something is coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so farther down the rabbit hole here.... If i load up Vixen 2.0 then i get my steady LED on the LOR controller and everything seems happy.. But not in Vixen 3.3. So that must mean my cable, dongle and FTDI driver is good?

I changed the Unit id to 1 just to see but nada...

Post Thanks / Like

well, you did rule out the cable and config of the controller...but not necessarily the driver. Just because vixen 2 likes the driver that's installed doesn't mean vixen 3.3 will. drivers and windows are a complicated thing, but the bottom line is that vixen 2 is an old program, and it uses an old method of connecting to a driver to get to the hardware. Vixen 3 uses the current methods, which have stricter rules. What do the vixen 3 logs say? are you getting device errors?

Post Thanks / Like

No errors. Normal startup reporting. I went ahead and unistalled all of my drivers through the control panel and install the latest VCP drivers from FTDI .. but still no go

Post Thanks / Like

To be clear, i'm not talking about error messages that pop up on your screen. I'm talking about entries in the error log files. Look at your ApplicationError.log file. look for events with today's timestamp. search for the word "FTDI" or "DMX Open"

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, Vixen doesn't use the drivers for DMX open that are known to windows, it uses one that it provides itself. And it certainly isn't the VCP driver. It's the D2XX driver. A "dmx open" device isn't a virtual com port. it's used directly by the software. But the same FTDI chip can be a virtual com port. That's how LOR uses it. But a com port wouldn't work for DMX, so when it's being used for DMX, it uses the direct driver for speedy low level access to sending data.

Post Thanks / Like

For whatever reason the log file wasnt populated. Quick restart and this is what i got. I think your onto the trail with the driver. I went to the Entec DMX site and downloaded a D2XX driver. Still working it to see.

11/22/2016 17:54:16 [Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1] Error starting device DMX Open System.Exception: Failed to open FTDI deviceFT_DEVICE_NOT_OPENED
    at VixenModules.Controller.OpenDMX.FTDI.start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Output.BasicOutputModuleExecutionControl .Start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread.Start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._StartD evice(T outputDevice)
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._Start( T outputDevice) at VixenModules.Controller.OpenDMX.FTDI.start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Output.BasicOutputModuleExecutionControl .Start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread.Start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._StartD evice(T outputDevice)
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._Start( T outputDevice)

Post Thanks / Like

So i uninstalled 3.3 and went back to a 3.1 version. The LED on the controller actually stopped blinking! But 3.1 crashes if i try to open a new times sequence.. 3.2 and 3.3 still no go..So that tells me the something is different in the background of 3.3 ...... i guess..... ugh.........

Post Thanks / Like

First off, Do not open your profile on older vixen versions, it will likely cause damage to your profile making it and all of its sequences unusable.

yes, 3.3 uses a different .net framework from 3.1. That makes everything different. That being said, the DMX open is working fine on 3.3u2 on windows 7. which windows version are you using.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast