Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: New features for next years development cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New features for next years development cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmschleich View Post
    I noticed my feature request VIX 1882 was closed. I'm wondering if I did not describe the request clearly, or if I'm missing major capabilities with layering since it was said to be too constraining.

If I do a new sequence I make 5 new layers right away, and name them after each layer type. That way they are there from the start ready to quickly use for effects or experimentation whenever I want. Why not eliminate that manual step and just have sequences come with each layer type already defined so we don't have to create layers?

Just started a new sequence and I'm manually creating them
    Attachment 38020

All 5 defined
    Attachment 38021
    Did you read the comment on the ticket when it was closed.
    If youíre doing as you describe, youíre not getting the point of layers. Or at last youíre not using them to their full potential. How many of each would you add and in what order? The order of the layers has an big impact on the results. You would likely want them in different orders at different points in a sequence. And when you are doing that to probably need more than one of each type.
    If we were to add one of each type by default we would be doing users a disservice because it would serve to hinder experimentation and learning how they actually work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Cmschleich thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Did you read the comment on the ticket when it was closed.
    If youíre doing as you describe, youíre not getting the point of layers. Or at last youíre not using them to their full potential. How many of each would you add and in what order? The order of the layers has an big impact on the results. You would likely want them in different orders at different points in a sequence. And when you are doing that to probably need more than one of each type.
    If we were to add one of each type by default we would be doing users a disservice because it would serve to hinder experimentation and learning how they actually work.

I did read the comment, which forms half the potential of my question, there could be something conceptually I'm leaving on the table. Your questions here confirm that, as I've never looked at order. Even though I do quite a bit with them, now I'm thinking I don't know how they actually work. Thanks for the confirmation, that's what I needed.
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scamper View Post
    I only have 1 request at this point and that is for a more user friendly and updated manual / help file.
    There are so many things that have been updated or modified that the help files are out of date.
    I have been using this program for 3 years and still have no idea how layers work and everything I read says it is like layers in photo editing software, but I don't use that so I still have no idea!
    Layers? I wonder if that would make my life easier.
    I agree that there is a need for more tutorials. Although, maybe Iím not searching for them either.
    As I migrate from standard lights, to RGB/Pixel, I feel as though I need to be schooled on how to do sequencing better.

Post Thanks / Like

The documentation pages have had a lot of updates over the last year and have a lot of useful information in them. If you have not looked at them recently, maybe a visit to the site might help.

http://www.vixenlights.com/vixen-3-documentation/

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a way to have Vixen Display Setup interface use absolute addressing?
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a way to have Vixen Display Setup interface use absolute addressing?
    No, and it's not really possible either. Vixen doesn't work that way. All controllers in vixen are completely independent from each other and aren't aware of other controllers parameters.

If you are looking to do absolute addressing, it's probably because you're exporting to a Pi. The absolute numbers are shown on the export screen.
    You could also take the approach of defining your entire display in a single controller in vixen. That'll give you absolute numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    No, and it's not really possible either. Vixen doesn't work that way. All controllers in vixen are completely independent from each other and aren't aware of other controllers parameters.

If you are looking to do absolute addressing, it's probably because you're exporting to a Pi. The absolute numbers are shown on the export screen.
    You could also take the approach of defining your entire display in a single controller in vixen. That'll give you absolute numbers.
    From my experience the controllers are partially dependent in that Universe duplication errors will throw even when the controllers in question are both in manual addressing mode. I can't override those error popups. The question actually stems from a total readdress I did while trying to get three floods with fixed addressing 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 to work split across multiple controllers (I don't have a DMX reprogrammer). Regardless I think I see what you are saying in regards to how Vixen "thinks" in this space. Thanks for the info as always.
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ

Post Thanks / Like

I nearly lost 3 hours of sequencing to an "editor in a bad state" error. I had saved several times in between. The backup file has the same contents. Any best practice recommendations? The change control feature makes Vixen startup take far too long so I don't use it. The one thing that saved me in this case is I have periodic folder replication going to the cloud. Luckily it had a save from five minutes before the error. Seems weird that 3 hours of sequencing could be wiped out when the save file increment is 5 minutes.

I'm also getting a ton of copy/paste artifacts, I did last year also with 3.2 & 3.3. Seems to be an editor issue with groups.
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience the controllers are partially dependent in that Universe duplication errors will throw even when the controllers in question are both in manual addressing mode. I can't override those error popups. The question actually stems from a total readdress I did while trying to get three floods with fixed addressing 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 to work split across multiple controllers (I don't have a DMX reprogrammer). Regardless I think I see what you are saying in regards to how Vixen "thinks" in this space. Thanks for the info as always.
    You ran into the one exception. I don't remember exactly how that module was written to do that, but it's only with other modules of the same type, and it really shouldn't work that way.
    But we do plan on adding a feature in the future that'll help you with your configuration setup. It wouldn't change to absolute addressing, but it would be a way to document everything in one place to support automatic configuration of FPP, or it could also be used to generate a report of all of the outputs.

Post Thanks / Like

I nearly lost 3 hours of sequencing to an "editor in a bad state" error. I had saved several times in between. The backup file has the same contents. Any best practice recommendations? The change control feature makes Vixen startup take far too long so I don't use it. The one thing that saved me in this case is I have periodic folder replication going to the cloud. Luckily it had a save from five minutes before the error. Seems weird that 3 hours of sequencing could be wiped out when the save file increment is 5 minutes.

I'm also getting a ton of copy/paste artifacts, I did last year also with 3.2 & 3.3. Seems to be an editor issue with groups.
    you really should start a new thread for each new issue. It makes it easier to follow a conversation.

Anyhow. I don't know what you mean by "editor in a bad state".
    The backup files are created immediately prior to a save. So in the event a save fails, you have a backup just before the save. Under normal circumstances, the two files should be very similar in content.
    Autosave only saves the sequence, not anything to do with the profile. The profile files are only saved when a change happens to the profile.

Best practices: Don't use cloud sync. It is known to corrupt profiles. Treat the files in the vixen profile just like you would with a database file. you'd never cloud sync a sql database file, or an exchange store file.
    Always exit the sequence editor when opening display setup. There are cases where it'll work fine without, but also many cases where things won't work as expected until the editor reloads.

What sort of copy and paste artifacts are you experiencing?

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast