Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: New features for next years development cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New features for next years development cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhitrov View Post
    Please add to features wish list:
    - Sync sequence to sound from Line-In (input from audio mixing console, built-in microphone etc ) or DirectSound driver (use third part MP3 SW player WinAmp, MIXXX etc. playing on the same computer as a source)
    It gives a provision to sync the lights with DJ set ar live band playing on your yard
    Thank you!
    I'm still a little fuzzy on how you envision this would work. Live music fed in and then lights pulse to music or some sequence is started that changes based on the beats or what? Describe a detailed example of what you envision.

Post Thanks / Like

Please add to features wish list:
    - Sync sequence to sound from Line-In (input from audio mixing console, built-in microphone etc ) or DirectSound driver (use third part MP3 SW player WinAmp, MIXXX etc. playing on the same computer as a source)
    It gives a provision to sync the lights with DJ set ar live band playing on your yard
    Thank you!
    Vixen does not even work like that, it does not take the mp3 and automatically create effects for the music. You have to create the effects you want to see on your lights and sync it to the music. There are a couple of effects that will respond to the music, VU Meter, Vertical Meter, but Vixen still has to have the music first to generate and render the effects before it is played, it does not happen live.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

>automatically create effects for the music.
    No, i'm not about auto FX creation but sync effects to the music - simple case - sync light change to the music beat. You mentioned VU meter - it's a good example also.. More sophisticated is a spectrum analyzer: tie music tone to color or so..
    Yes, I understand there is no real time sound proceeding in Vixen... But can we, just as an example, use output information from WinAmp plugin (say, AVS) wich provides info on the beat, spectrum, UV etc. And WinAmp has a mode for external Line-In as well...

Post Thanks / Like

>automatically create effects for the music.
    No, i'm not about auto FX creation but sync effects to the music - simple case - sync light change to the music beat. You mentioned VU meter - it's a good example also.. More sophisticated is a spectrum analyzer: tie music tone to color or so..
    Yes, I understand there is no real time sound proceeding in Vixen... But can we, just as an example, use output information from WinAmp plugin (say, AVS) wich provides info on the beat, spectrum, UV etc. And WinAmp has a mode for external Line-In as well...
    Actually no, we canít. Itís not that simple at all.
    First of all, most of those plugins arenít open source and we have no rights to use them. Secondly, most are OpenGL based or similar and use graphics hardware to generate the effects. That works because the output is a graphics device and is the final output. In the case of vixen, we use very little graphics acceleration. Currently none. In the near future weíll be using it a bit more to draw the preview. But thatís an output from the effects, not an input to it. Very different thing.
    A lot of those old Winamp effects use algorithms to draw the visualizations that are public domain. We do use code patterns similar to those to create many of our effects. Years ago when Sean was pioneering pixel effects for our shows, he openly said that he borrowed many algorithms he found on the internet and reworked them for the lighting application. Those nutcracker foundations have evolved into what we see today in many of our effects. So there are similarities in how the effects draw, but not in where they get their input and how they are processed.
    For the output of our effects we need element state data. Thatís not a pixel from an array on a screen, but rather itís a piece of information that describes where a given element starts and where it ends over a specified duration of time. We call those linear intents. For example an element may start at 10% blue and end at 80% red. This stuff can be done rather effectively in real time.
    For the more complex effects, we use what we call static intents. Instead of calculating on the fly, the effect renders in advance and creates a series of fixed states for each element for each frame. The system cannot generate these kind of effects in real time and also continue to do everything else it needs to do.
    After we have all of these intents and states theyíre combined using the layer system. On a per element basis. Then they head downstream to the preview and the controllers. The preview draws the simulation and the output controller build lighting data. This is a significant amount of work that still all happens in real time. Thereís no way weíd be able to render complex effects in real time and still do everything else needed to drive lights. At least not within the architecture of vixen. It would require a fundamental change in how vixen operates to be able to do stuff like this in real time. So big of a change that it would be a completely different program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the hard work! This hobby is expensive and not having to purchase software really helps.
    Thanks again for the hard work! Dale P

Post Thanks / Like

Got it! Thank you very much for explanation! Anywhere - Vixen is a great piece! Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

There is a separate thread about creating ring groups on mega trees. Any chance of a tool to help build these groups rather than selecting each pixel individually?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pburton View Post
    There is a separate thread about creating ring groups on mega trees. Any chance of a tool to help build these groups rather than selecting each pixel individually?

I have done some work on this in the past that I need to finish up, so it is definitely possible. Create a feature request at bugs.vixenlights.com and I will add it to my to do list.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed my feature request VIX 1882 was closed. I'm wondering if I did not describe the request clearly, or if I'm missing major capabilities with layering since it was said to be too constraining.

If I do a new sequence I make 5 new layers right away, and name them after each layer type. That way they are there from the start ready to quickly use for effects or experimentation whenever I want. Why not eliminate that manual step and just have sequences come with each layer type already defined so we don't have to create layers?

Just started a new sequence and I'm manually creating them
    Make one at a time.PNG

All 5 defined
    Ready to go.PNG
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ

Post Thanks / Like

Default New features for next years development cycle.

I for one donít use all the layers in every sequence I create. I may also use multiples of the same type of layer, so a default of all of them is just as much work for me to remove and rearrange to what I need as it is add just what I need. So what might help you is a hinderance to me. I think Jon gave a a little different reason for closing the ticket in the ticket itself that is also valid. So in the end, it was decided that there was no overall benefit to every one to add all the layers as a default.

11. Thanks Cmschleich thanked for this post
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast