Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New features for next years development cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New features for next years development cycle.

I know everyone is busy working towards getting their shows set up and running for this year and are probably not thinking about next year yet. But this is the time when things are fresh in our minds. We have been busy using Vixen and we are a lot closer to it. I would like to ask everyone to think about what has worked well for you in the next few weeks and what could use improvement. If you have ideas for new features or ways to do things better and more efficient we want to hear from you. Did you find a bug that you could work around, but just lived with it instead of reporting it? Did you think I could do cuz faster if I only had this? This forum topic provides one avenue for that and many folks have done that in the past. Many features have had roots in user feedback. We welcome you to create a feature or bug request ticket at bugs.vixenlights.com where we track most all of the work that gets done.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New features for next years development cycle.

Midi import!
    (sorry, I had to)

Post Thanks / Like

Add ability to use mark collections in the effects. For example add an alternating effect and have a drop down box in the effect editor that lists all the mark collections, select one then the alternating effect will change color each time it passes the mark. This could be very useful for many of the effects.

4. Thanks Ruppro thanked for this post
    Likes Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have 1 request at this point and that is for a more user friendly and updated manual / help file.
    There are so many things that have been updated or modified that the help files are out of date.
    I have been using this program for 3 years and still have no idea how layers work and everything I read says it is like layers in photo editing software, but I don't use that so I still have no idea!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love an easier way to add custom pixel shapes. I made a custom star of 141 pixels and had to set locations for each pixel so that the wipes and chases and effects would be even across the star.

Sent from my pocket using Tapatalk.
    [B][SIZE=3]2013 - First year[/SIZE][/B]
    ~2,500 Lights, 8 mini-trees (1 RenardSS24, 22 Channels) Using Vixen 3.0.10

[B][SIZE=3]2014 Goals/Additions:[/SIZE][/B]
    10' spiral tree controlled with 2 RenardSS24 (16 strands, 3 colors on each strand)
    Learn/play with RBG Pixels (potential RBG star for spiral tree)
    Learn/play with wireless/pixels to use with my other hobby, theatre.

7. Likes jchuchla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You know what would be super cool? Have the user input the exact type of pixel they are using and then estimate the maximum amount of electrical current that is drawn for a particular sequence. Maybe give suggestions for how much current injection is needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikecentral View Post
    You know what would be super cool? Have the user input the exact type of pixel they are using and then estimate the maximum amount of electrical current that is drawn for a particular sequence. Maybe give suggestions for how much current injection is needed.
    I've seen this suggested alot, but the truth is there's so many external factors that any sort of estimation would vary wildly among our group.
    [url]www.billporter.info[/url]
    2014 Christmas: 1 Channel; a new house and a crazy plan.
    2015 [url="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3WRF86Nfv099UZahf___A7i"]Halloween: 2500 Channels;[/url] 3 songs. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3VVfgwM0nxDebdwI__rQZ9Z"]Christmas: 4500 Channels[/URL]; 6 songs. Custom Wifi Pixel/Renard Controllers
    2016 [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3UKHXDhmKhdheaJBOFgJ5IL"]Halloween: 6500 Channels;[/URL] 4 songs. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3Uk21zJ3QHeHEMe1XzJOTSr"]Christmas: 11,000 Channels;[/URL] 4 songs.

10. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got alot of bugs to report. I can open and close Vixen and lose elements on my preview. It's repeatable and drives me nuts. Something to do with having too many similar objects in the same area.... I need to write a bug report for it.

I'm also still dealing with slow downs over time I reported earlier this year, and how some effects will quit outputting prematurely during playback. I know it sounds like slow computer syndrome but this is a 6th Gen i5 w/ 16GBs RAM and SSD. Shouldn't be an issue.

And I'd like to see some effects improved, IE unchecking 'random meteor position' in my mind should mean meteors always start at the top, but they don't.

AND I REALLY want two instances of Vixen open, on different profiles. So I can cut and paste from other people who share their sequences; or I'm migrating from an older profile.

AND AND I'd like to be able to cut and paste a new copy of a preview in the same profile. So when I setup everything for Halloween I can copy it as a starting point for Christmas.

AND AND AND (this is a stretch) I'd love a "export controller mapping" option that write out all the channel to sACN (Transmitter type, IP address, etc) universe/channel map that can be imported into FPP. I know that would mean collaboration on the file format, but it seems like this is something that could be done to make it easier to push the show from Vixen to FPP.
    [url]www.billporter.info[/url]
    2014 Christmas: 1 Channel; a new house and a crazy plan.
    2015 [url="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3WRF86Nfv099UZahf___A7i"]Halloween: 2500 Channels;[/url] 3 songs. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3VVfgwM0nxDebdwI__rQZ9Z"]Christmas: 4500 Channels[/URL]; 6 songs. Custom Wifi Pixel/Renard Controllers
    2016 [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3UKHXDhmKhdheaJBOFgJ5IL"]Halloween: 6500 Channels;[/URL] 4 songs. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3Uk21zJ3QHeHEMe1XzJOTSr"]Christmas: 11,000 Channels;[/URL] 4 songs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madsci1016 View Post
    I've got alot of bugs to report. I can open and close Vixen and lose elements on my preview. It's repeatable and drives me nuts. Something to do with having too many similar objects in the same area.... I need to write a bug report for it.
    If it is repeatable, then definitely create a report for it and attach the profile or a sample profile and steps to reproduce. If we can reproduce it we can fix it.

I'm also still dealing with slow downs over time I reported earlier this year, and how some effects will quit outputting prematurely during playback. I know it sounds like slow computer syndrome but this is a 6th Gen i5 w/ 16GBs RAM and SSD. Shouldn't be an issue.
    I have yet to see a slowdown occur even after hours of sequencing myself on similar hardware, so I am unsure what the cause is to try and fix it. I made some changes in 3.3u1 to improve some memory leaks that I thought might have been contributing to it even though I could not reproduce it. So if you have any way to get it to happen on any consistent manner I welcome it.

AND I REALLY want two instances of Vixen open, on different profiles. So I can cut and paste from other people who share their sequences; or I'm migrating from an older profile.
    This should happen next year. I have this mostly finished, but I did not want to risk releasing it this close to go time.

AND AND I'd like to be able to cut and paste a new copy of a preview in the same profile. So when I setup everything for Halloween I can copy it as a starting point for Christmas.
    Submit a ticket for it. I am sure there will be preview work in the coming year, so we can see how this might fit.

AND AND AND (this is a stretch) I'd love a "export controller mapping" option that write out all the channel to sACN (Transmitter type, IP address, etc) universe/channel map that can be imported into FPP. I know that would mean collaboration on the file format, but it seems like this is something that could be done to make it easier to push the show from Vixen to FPP.
    I had a brief conversation about this with the FPP folks earlier this year at Expo. I have some test code I have been working on that will generate the universes file that FPP uses for the channel config based on the controller setup in Vixen. Looking to better integrate that into FPP in some way next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scamper View Post
    I only have 1 request at this point and that is for a more user friendly and updated manual / help file.
    There are so many things that have been updated or modified that the help files are out of date.
    I have been using this program for 3 years and still have no idea how layers work and everything I read says it is like layers in photo editing software, but I don't use that so I still have no idea!

I have added a lot of content to the documentation on the vixen website in the last 6 months and I plan to add more as I get time. There is a writeup on there about layering with examples. Have you looked at the docs on the website recently?

http://www.vixenlights.com/vixen-3-documentation/

14. Thanks Scamper thanked for this post
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast