Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Teensy 3.2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teensy 3.2

Teensy is perfect for the job! Its also capable of driving thousands more.

Here is a ws2811 matrix I helped with powered by teensy. This one is being controlled over the ethernet module. But I was also able to do it over serial USB. there is 1600 Pixels. I was able to get the code to handle 32 universes. I believe its still can do even more. But 32 is a good amount.

Good news I just got my controller boards finished. It will use the teensy as its MCU but provide ports for your pixels via cat6 and receiver boards. It incorporates the level shifter chip, and port to socket your wiznet w5200/w5500 adapter.

IMG_3051.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLight8 View Post
    Here's what I've done so far for a bench test:

On the Teensy, I'm running the code I linked to above. The Teensy is connected to the OctoWS2811 adapter and I have a network cable plugged in which goes to a bread board with 2 Adafruit Neopixel rings. The OctoWS2811 also is connected to a 5v power supply and the Neopixel rings are connected to the same 5v source.
    Attachment 36110

In Vixen, I've setup a Generic Serial with a bunch of channels. I've added a Generic Serial output with a header of <>.
    Attachment 36111Attachment 36112

To get things running, I start by powering up the Teensy first. That gets the Teensy running and allows the computer to see it as a USB Serial Port. Next, I start up Vixen. If you do these steps backward, Vixen may not see the serial port to send the data to. If things are working correctly, the led on the Teensy should be blinking kind of at random.
    Alright I am running into some trouble already. I got your sketch uploaded to my 3.2. I ran 5v power to the OCTOWS2811 board from my 5v source for my LED strip. I have a single strip of 150 LEDs I am testing with right now so I set that in the Sketch. I have the serial info set in Vixen with the same start header you have in your picture above. The power light on the Teensy is staying solid I am not getting any flickering/blinking on the LED. I did upload an example sketch so I know I uploaded that sketch correctly. Should that be blinking when Vixen is running? I try to test the data output with a multimeter but I don't think I was getting any output there. I double checked my solder joints on the headers I put on today and those seem good as near as I can tell. Anything I should check first that I am missing? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you see if the basic test sketch under examples works?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crees View Post
    Can you see if the basic test sketch under examples works?
    Is it called Basic Test? I did run Under examples > Digital > Blink without Delay and that one does work.

Post Thanks / Like

I will also add that I did see some activity on the LED light on the Teensy if I removed the <> header from the serial settings in Vixen.

Post Thanks / Like

When you install teensyduino it creates several example sketches that should be under teensy / octows2811. Look for one that is basic test.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah thank you, I didn't even think to look for an Octo sub directory, whoops. I have that sketch uploaded. I will test it on the LEDS when I get home tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok let's make sure we get results with that. Check and make sure you change the led numbers and settings in the code to fit your setup.

Post Thanks / Like

So this is embarrassing, I think the issue was that I had the Data/Gnd leads reversed from the CAT5e cable. I looked at the diagram on the Teensy website and it looked like the first pin was the Data wire. Either way the Basic test worked. Then I reapplied the sketch from this thread and my test patterns from Vixen worked. Time to setting up some sequences. Thanks for your help with showing me where that Basic Test was that will help down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gomer23 View Post
    So this is embarrassing, I think the issue was that I had the Data/Gnd leads reversed from the CAT5e cable. I looked at the diagram on the Teensy website and it looked like the first pin was the Data wire. Either way the Basic test worked. Then I reapplied the sketch from this thread and my test patterns from Vixen worked. Time to setting up some sequences. Thanks for your help with showing me where that Basic Test was that will help down the road.
    Awesome! Ya it's a good way to make sure your good to the pixels. It gets more interesting when you use the Ethernet module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast