Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HinksPix16 - Beta Release of NEW 16 port Pixel Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: HinksPix16 - Beta Release of NEW 16 port Pixel Controller

Quote Originally Posted by HeyRay2 View Post
    I'm just getting started in LED / RGB decorating this year and was eyeing the Falcon F16v2 and this looks like it going to be an even more feature-filled controller than that!

Even though this is a beta product, would you recommend this for a first-timer? I'm a tinkerer and pretty comfortable around electronics projects.
    I would recommend the falcon. One, it's proven. Two, Dave Pitts is phenomenal. He will bend over backwards for you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog30 View Post
    I would recommend the falcon. One, it's proven. Two, Dave Pitts is phenomenal. He will bend over backwards for you.

Thanks for the reply. I do like the Falcon quite a bit and have spoken with Dave few times on the phone. He's already trying to source a controller for me since he's out of stock due to how close to the holidays we are (I started looking into doing this WAY TOO LATE in the season!), so I most likely will go with the Falcon controller.

I do want to have a backup controller and maybe something to tinker with, and the HinksPix16 sounds like it might be a good way to go.
    Last edited by HeyRay2; 11-16-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I have a falcon that's not being used. It is a new one. If all fails, I might be able to sell it.

If you want something to tinker with, check out advatek and the pixlite 4. They are relatively cheap and readily available.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I can vouch for Joe giving phenomenal support as well. I had pestered him quite a bit with HLS about added features and he always came through in spades.
    He once called me and we spent probably an hour on the phone just so he could fully understand the issue I was having so he could fix it in HLS.
    I would have no reservation buying one of his boards and probably will next year when I expand my show.
    It's a great time to be in the Hobby, there are so many fantastic options for pixel control and it seems to be getting better and better.
    I don't see how you could go wrong with either option, but asking what controller to get on Nov 16th will be putting a lot of pressure on yourself to get a show together.
    Good Luck!
    Phil

5. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHinkle View Post
    The Falcon is a very good controller, I would recommend it highly.

My Beta board - released as of today - provides the same capabilities as the Falcon.

My board is designed and has the associated hardware to support additional capabilities which I have NOT engaged because I want to lock down and fully field test the basic "Pixel Controls" first -- we are late in the season.

Much of the software associated with the additional features has already been written and tested -- again -- I am just releasing the "Pixel Control" capability so the board can be evaluated and compared to other controllers.

This board is NOT designed, nor will it be released, as a board that needs to be assembled. It comes fully assembled and ready to use. Software updates are automatic. One of its design objectives was ease of use.

Whether you choose the Falcon or this board, either board is very good for a first time user getting into this hobby.

Joe
    Thanks for the response. I am definitely considering the Falcon but may not be able to get one this late in the season, so I'm looking for alternatives like the PixLite 16 MkII or AlphaPix 16 v3, and the HinkPix16 seems to fall right into the area for consideratio. I don't want to derail this thread with more talk of my research and lighting plans, so I'll stop here and make a new thread to discuss further .

In regards to this beta controller, I see that the OLED and CPU boards are not secured down with screws. Will you be providing any type of "trade-up" offer for those who have beta controllers and want to get a production board that has these items fully secured down?
    Last edited by HeyRay2; 11-16-2016 at 07:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

you might also look at the alphapix controller from Holiday coro I run 1 and also have 4 others at a friends I program for him find them easy too use but they dont have all the bells and whistles the falcon of Joe's new board has
    James WinterHaven Fl

8. Likes HeyRay2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In regards to this beta controller, I see that the OLED and CPU boards are not secured down with screws. Will you be providing any type of "trade-up" offer for those who have beta controllers and want to get a production board that has these items fully secured down?
    There is no "trade-up" offer associated with this board.

The boards are quit secure as it is today. I want to make it bullet proof in the future -- hence the change to the board coming in 2017 to tie them down permanently.

Joe
    Last edited by JHinkle; 11-16-2016 at 07:54 PM.
    Link to my DownLoad Site: [B][COLOR=#ff0000][URL]http://www.joehinkle.com/HLS[/URL]

[/COLOR][/B][IMG]http://joehinkle.com/HLS/HLS%20Logo%20Small.jpg[/IMG]

10. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHinkle View Post
    There is no "trade-up" offer associated with this board.

The boards are quit secure as it is today. I want to make it bullet proof in the future -- hence the change to the board coming in 2017 to tie them down permanently.

Joe
    Gotcha. I'm sure some hot glue or a big-ass zip tie will give beta users all the security they would need for these components.

I'm going to do a bit more research and then I think I just may snag one of these from you!

Nice work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeyRay2 View Post
    I'm just getting started in LED / RGB decorating this year and was eyeing the Falcon F16v2 and this looks like it going to be an even more feature-filled controller than that!

Even though this is a beta product, would you recommend this for a first-timer? I'm a tinkerer and pretty comfortable around electronics projects.
    Hi, Joe has been around here for a few years. I know he has spent quite some time on this and done a lot of research, I’ve come across a few posts (in his name JHiknkle) on other forums chatting with some very knowledgeable people about various scenarios that I assume have been incorporated into this controller. He would be mad to realise this at this time of year if he wasn’t 100% happy it would deliver a show.
    Should you buy one? The more relevant question is should you buy any controller with an expectation of having it running lights this year?
    Time is running out, it depends on your expectations and the amount of time you have.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 11-16-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    Well, I can vouch for Joe giving phenomenal support as well. I had pestered him quite a bit with HLS about added features and he always came through in spades.
    He once called me and we spent probably an hour on the phone just so he could fully understand the issue I was having so he could fix it in HLS.
    I would have no reservation buying one of his boards and probably will next year when I expand my show.
    It's a great time to be in the Hobby, there are so many fantastic options for pixel control and it seems to be getting better and better.
    I don't see how you could go wrong with either option, but asking what controller to get on Nov 16th will be putting a lot of pressure on yourself to get a show together.
    Good Luck!
    Thanks for your kind works Phil:

Anyone that would suggest they would not get top-of-the-line support from me -- does not know me or how I've supported my products in the past.

I can actually get into a pretzel position

Joe
    Link to my DownLoad Site: [B][COLOR=#ff0000][URL]http://www.joehinkle.com/HLS[/URL]

[/COLOR][/B][IMG]http://joehinkle.com/HLS/HLS%20Logo%20Small.jpg[/IMG]

14. Likes TazChaLet, DrNeutron, rfallatt liked this post
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast