Thread: Micro Pex Arches

Post Thanks / Like

Default Micro Pex Arches

I posted hints of this on another thread and since that was a bit rude on my part I'll start a new thread.

These are 12V LED arches using a pair of T10 LED "bulbs" as a segment, attached to cat5 to drive the (-) and a shared heavier gauge wire to drive the (+):
    20161106_124346.jpg

Once all the bulbs are soldered to the wires (equally spaced), I'm getting ready to pull it through the pex:
    20161106_153747.jpg

Here is a picture of the Tee on the base that the controller box (4x4x2) will be glued to once I find the bag of adapters I bought (but seemingly lost):
    20161106_163444.jpg

Micro Arch Test Uncased:

Micro Arch Test Cased:

The arches are 4' wide and 2' tall. Almost studio-apartment sized!
    Last edited by frederic; 11-06-2016 at 06:06 PM.

2. Thanks OriginalHotrodder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Micro Pex Arches

Nice! I'm looking at building some of these micro-arches for our small front yard.
    It looks like you just used the 1" PEX, right? What length did you use for that sized arch?

Post Thanks / Like

I used 3/4" Sharkbite for the arch (bulbs inside) and 1/2" PVC for the frame and legs. I debated for a long while whether to use 3/4" or 1" pex and went with the smaller diameter because then the bulbs I slipped inside would be more "straight" rather than having the room to angle themselves. I thought that might look better.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the way these look and the size is perfect. i would like to make 10 for the ridge of my roof next year, do you have a link to the bulbs. There is a million different ones on *bay
    Flash Flash Blink Blink,,Oh What A Relief It Is

Post Thanks / Like

Sure!

These are the bulbs I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50X-Super-Wh...pYJfvt&vxp=mtr

The bulbs have 13 5050's on them, three per side (four sides) and one on top. I put two bulbs facing away from each other as a "segment" which gave me about a 4-1/2" width for each segment visually with the diffusion quality of the pex.

They fit reasonably well inside 3/4" pex which has a hair more than 1/2" inside diameter which was enough room for the bulbs and the wires. I used cat5 since I have miles of it sitting around and current draw isn't very much and the distances are short (4' circumference plus 1' for the tail that goes to the controller.

7. Thanks mikel3332 thanked for this post
    Likes mikel3332 liked this post