Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wemos D1 as a controller?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wemos D1 as a controller?

Has anyone used the WEMOS board as a pixel controller?

I am looking to control 200+ WS2811 pixels using Vixen and at under $10, the WEMOS looks like a great option. It is compatible with Arduino but is 10-20 times faster.

It uses an ESP-8266EX microcontroller like the ESPixelStick so I assume the code would be very similar between the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wemos D1 as a controller?

Yes I managed 170 Pixels over wifi/ArtNet last night, very smooth
    Moving up to 680 pixels later this week
    VERY Excited !!

Post Thanks / Like

I like this idea too... I have a D1 running 61 WS2812 LEDs.

Post Thanks / Like

Can the implementers be more specific please? Code perhaps?

Thanks,

-Joni-
    2015 Plans: More pixels, add more Komby radios, and weld new props!
    [URL="http://amistosolights.com"]http://amistosolights.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjchu View Post

Thanks,

-Joni-
    I use ESP-12 with Espixelstick code, works fine, you will need a line driver output 5 volts if you need better distance to the first pixel. I drove a little more than 500 pixels on a single ESP-12 last year without issues, my entire setup were about 10 ESP, only wires I ran were power cable and pixel extensions.

Post Thanks / Like

https://github.com/forkineye/E131/bl...6_NeoPixel.ino

https://github.com/forkineye/ESPixelStick

Have some PWM code if you wan't to run a DC ssr up to 11 channels.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 11-09-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjchu View Post
    What I'm putting together is a round smart LED lamp based on this (although square would actually be easier), Wemos D1, and optional 12V-5V converter, 3D-printed mount for the electronics, and 1.5L Coke bottle as a cover. So far, I have the hardware working, and can talk to the device via WiFi and a simple webserver. I haven't yet got to adding support for lighting control protocols, but I too expect that ESPixelStick code will do the job on the Wemos D1. I don't expect to get this done this Xmas... too busy putting up decorations and so on.

Post Thanks / Like

Also works great passing E1.31 data received over WiFi to a Teensy 3.2 over serial for driving a large number of pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

This has totally given me an idea. I have a bunch of ESP8266 boards and pixels looking for a project and this might be it.

As I've never done any electromagic Christmas stuff before (but I am an electrical engineer), I need to see if I'm thinking correctly:
    1) PC laptop running Vixen connected to a wireless access point.
    2) One (or more) ESP8266 devices, connected to the same WAP running the ESP8266_NeoPixel.ino code (nice and straightforward).
    3) A string of pixels appropriately connected to the defined data pin on the ESP.
    4) If I dig enough to the Vixen documentation, I'll figure out how to have it send E1.31 data to something that's listening for it.
    5) Lights blink, everyone is impressed.

Does that sound right? My motto: Start small and build from there...

I really like the idea of a ESPixelStick -- is the hardware open source? It does not look complicated, assuming one can mix SMD and THT components to make one on perfboard in the garage...

Post Thanks / Like

This has totally given me an idea. I have a bunch of ESP8266 boards and pixels looking for a project and this might be it.

As I've never done any electromagic Christmas stuff before (but I am an electrical engineer), I need to see if I'm thinking correctly:
    1) PC laptop running Vixen connected to a wireless access point.
    2) One (or more) ESP8266 devices, connected to the same WAP running the ESP8266_NeoPixel.ino code (nice and straightforward).
    3) A string of pixels appropriately connected to the defined data pin on the ESP.
    4) If I dig enough to the Vixen documentation, I'll figure out how to have it send E1.31 data to something that's listening for it.
    5) Lights blink, everyone is impressed.

Does that sound right? My motto: Start small and build from there...

I really like the idea of a ESPixelStick -- is the hardware open source? It does not look complicated, assuming one can mix SMD and THT components to make one on perfboard in the garage...
    Hi, that’s about it, all is well proven.
    There is a schematic about somewhere for the PixelStick its pretty straight forward.
    Standard ESP setup:
    Vcc & CHPD -> 3.3V.
    Gnd -> Gnd.
    Tx & Rx -> Rx & Tx (can be used as GPIOs 1 & 3 if needed).
    REST -> pulled up with 10K and momentary button to Gnd for reset.
    GPIO 0 -> pulled up with 10K and momentary button to Gnd for flashing.
    GPIO 2 -> pulled up with 10K and data output.
    Other than that:
    On the old board it had a 5V and a 3.3V voltage regulator. On the new board it has a 5V buck converter and a 3.3V regulator.
    The output is buffered and raised to 5V. Most pixels are 5V logic data regardless of the power line operating voltage and are happy with 3.3V as a logic high if the cable run is close. Otherwise you might want to think about a level converter (you can use a pixel, just account for it and leave it off). If you don’t use a buffer, putting 270 ohms in series with the output on GPIO 2 will prevent you shorting the output directly to ground and drawing more than 12mA (the max rating and better before the 10K pullup).
    Flashing needs to be done at 160Mhz, and I find that unicast is more stable than multicast (AP and router issues).
    If just want to make up a perf board for the field to run the lights that doesn’t have the facility to flash the ESP (no buttons on REST, GPIO 0 and Tx and Rx are not available) then this might help:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/IMG_0583.JPG
    You just need the voltage regulator, two caps (0.1 & 100uF), two pullups and the output resistor for the most basic setup.
    I used to take the ESP out of the board and flash it in the workshop, but with OTA even thats not needed now.

With regard to Vixen E1.31 is almost the default output, so its realy easy to setup.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 11-23-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast