Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olsen 595 - New PC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Olsen 595 - New PC

I am back to the DIY world after a long break.

The computer I am now using does not have a parallel port to connect my 595 up to...HELP!

Besides using an old PC which I am not keen on, what can I do? I know a parallel to USB will not work.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Olsen 595 - New PC

While you can get the data levels correct with one of the USB based dongles, AFAIK the timing will not be correct and may not work. You may be stuck with an old PC or ask around here for one of the old converter-to-595 boards like the Ren-C - it will add dimming as well which you can't get with the parallel port (even on an old computer).
    [COLOR=#000080][B][I]Brian[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Christmas in San Jose! - [URL="http://www.christmasinsj.com"]WEB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInSanJose"]FB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1W78s7liEQEE0ed7WSyLF7B6j3lBX43w"]VIDEOS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Halloween in San Jose! - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-in-San-Jose/356280784428581?ref=tn_tnmn"]FB[/URL]
    [SIZE=1]2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][I]Ignorance is Temporary [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]- [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][I]Stupidity is Forever[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]...[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][I][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add what Budude said, you will also need ZC crossing circuit if you wanted to add dimming capabilities. Back in the day, there was a Ren-T that supplied that, but there is a lot of info on building a ZC circuit, so the Ren-T is not necessary.
    I will look to see if I can find a Ren-C around my shop. Seems like I had an extra a long time ago...
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

You could also install an internal LPT card in one of the computer's slots. That would give you a hard-wired LPT port that could drive the 595.

...on the other hand, your's truly happens to have an assembled and never-used Ren-C that could be had for a fair price... I think they were about $25-$30 to build... Then you could hook it up to the computer via an RS232/RS485 USB dongle and also benefit from being able to use full dimming with the 595, too! Make me an offer I can't refuse...
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 10-24-2016 at 09:41 AM.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

The Falcon Player has a non-dimming 595 output if you run it on a Raspberry Pi. It uses 3 of the Pi's GPIO pins for the control and data lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I could not find another Ren-C. I did find this, however. It reminded me that the Ren-C needs to be close to the 595. This set up has 2 595's, 2 Ren-C's and a Ren-T, all in a computer case. This picture was from April, 2008, but it has been in storage since then. This set up with the appropriate number of SSR's would control 128 channels from your serial port. Not really interested in busting it up, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Olsen 595 - New PC

You could also install an internal LPT card in one of the computer's slots. That would give you a hard-wired LPT port that could drive the 595.

...on the other hand, your's truly happens to have an assembled and never-used Ren-C that could be had for a fair price... I think they were about $25-$30 to build... Then you could hook it up to the computer via an RS232/RS485 USB dongle and also benefit from being able to use full dimming with the 595, too! Make me an offer I can't refuse...[/QUOTE]

Will the Ren-C work with my SSR's that were used with my Olsen-595? And how many channels will i have to expose to the world?

Post Thanks / Like

Will the Ren-C work with my SSR's that were used with my Olsen-595? And how many channels will i have to expose to the world?

Post Thanks / Like

the 595's, Ren-C's and Ren-T all run in unison?

Post Thanks / Like

The Ren-C is similar to a serial interface between the PC and the 595 so that instead of the parallel interface, you can use a COM port (or a USB dongle if you like) and at the same time, the Ren-C enables dimming with the 595, which isn't available via the parallel mode. The Ren-T (as I recall) is a combination power supply and RS485 converter that converts RS232 into RS485 and also provides a ZC signal to the Ren-C which is also necessary for dimming to work. If you need a ZC signal, the DIGWDF store has a simple ZC kit that can give you that...

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast