Thread: So I messed up my arches....sure not the first

Post Thanks / Like

Default So I messed up my arches....sure not the first

Hello everyone. Thought I would share. Watched a few youtube videos on making leaping arch displays. Was all set and cut everything up. Thought I recalled having a 9' arch with a 7' base. Didn't quite look right, looked more like leaping ellipse. Rewatched the video and was 70" base....oh that makes a difference. Thinking I will go a slight shorter.

Just thought I would share. Just have few extra piece of pipe left over.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So I messed up my arches....sure not the first

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I feel like I could write a book on my lessons learned....

3. Thanks Pwmcguire thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I learned the hard way was to make a prototype before cutting material for 5-10 of them. I learned that on my arches - I cut up all the material then realized they were all too short.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, depends on how you want them to look. Some people like them flatter. I like a semi circle so 9' (your example) x 2 (total circumference)/pi =5.73 ft across or 68.75" or the 70" as you saw in the video. My old incan arches were 15' long and 9' across. My pixel arches are 12.5' long (50'/4) and 8' across. A little math can go a long way.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

One day I will do arches. I played around with this online calculator
    http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/arc18.cgi?submit=Entry

Post Thanks / Like

The dimensions of mine are something like 48" wide x 28" tall; somewhat elliptical shaped. I like having them front & center and not "covering" stuff behind them. They are 2m long in terms of the strips inside them (using the SharkBite tubing from HD....).

Here's some recent shared misery for ya... The weekend before last, I soldered connectors onto 16 megatrees using 5m extension cable on the "data out" side of the strips so I could connect the strips in series at the bottom of the megatree (not "zig zag"..). I checked two of them out last weekend and found out that 5m is too long between elements; the data signal has to be re-generated more frequently than that! I could either use null pixels or re-solder with shorter series leads; either of which required re-soldering.... That cost me the better part of a day of work; man it takes a long time to solder connectors...... But I won't forget THAT one for quite a while...