Thread: HDPE Arch above door, need some mounting advice

Post Thanks / Like

Question HDPE Arch above door, need some mounting advice

I plan on using some 2 inch HDPE from McMaster Carr for an arch above my front door. I have thought about a few mounting ideas, but was hoping there is a better way or something I'm not thinking about. So far I know I can drill some holes in the stone, which is the last thing I want to do because it takes forever. I was thinking of using zip tie mounts and then using white zip ties around the pipe but figured the zip ties would be seen when light shines through. Maybe some strong Velcro on the stone in places and on the pipe to attach it? Another option I thought of was using some 100lb fishing string and going around the pipe and the pillars in the front and tie them off somewhere behind the pillars. The fishing string might not be seen wrapped around the pipe and would hold it against the pillar but for the top of the arch I would still have to some up with something to support the arch above the pillar. I have outlined in red in the picture of where I would like to run the pipe. Its about 14-15ft vertical before the bend would start. I haven't measured the distance across the top but total length shouldn't be more than 45ft. Any mounting advice would be greatly appreciated. My biggest concern is coming up with something that doesn't show up at night when its lit up. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: HDPE Arch above door, need some mounting advice

How about putting in inside the archway and letting the tubes natural curvature hold itself in place. It won't follow the outline of your doorway as well but I think it would still look real nice.
    2013 First Year (3) SS24
    2014 Second Year (4) SS24, (1) E1.31 Bridge, (1) E6804, (1) E682, RGB Tune To sign, Mega Tree & (4) Leaping Arches
    2015 (3) SS24, (1) E1.31 Bridge, (1) E6804, (2) E682, RGB Matrix, Mega Tree & (4) RGB Leaping Arches
    When in doubt, ask yourself ..."[COLOR=#ff0000]What would Clark do?"[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Todd View Post
    How about putting in inside the archway and letting the tubes natural curvature hold itself in place. It won't follow the outline of your doorway as well but I think it would still look real nice.
    I thought about that just didn't know if it would be sturdy enough to hold itself inside the arch like that? I guess I could try it and find out. Only problem is if I cut if short enough to fit inside the archway and it doesn't work it will be too short for mounting on the outside?

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good point. You might want to see how well it will bend to the shape you are wanting to achieve. I'm not convinced you will be able to make that sharp turn at the top of your arch. That stuff is pretty tough. I do think it's a great idea and will look awesome when you get it figured out. It's going to be here before you know it!
    2013 First Year (3) SS24
    2014 Second Year (4) SS24, (1) E1.31 Bridge, (1) E6804, (1) E682, RGB Tune To sign, Mega Tree & (4) Leaping Arches
    2015 (3) SS24, (1) E1.31 Bridge, (1) E6804, (2) E682, RGB Matrix, Mega Tree & (4) RGB Leaping Arches
    When in doubt, ask yourself ..."[COLOR=#ff0000]What would Clark do?"[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Id say thats gonna have to be a 3 piece arch

Post Thanks / Like

Will "brick clips" work in the spaces between the stones? (The kind that you squeeze, put into place, let go - and it grabs both sides of the 'slot'.)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Will "brick clips" work in the spaces between the stones? (The kind that you squeeze, put into place, let go - and it grabs both sides of the 'slot'.)
    I've never seen those until you mentioned them, I've only seen the ones that grab the outside of the brick. After some research Lowes and Home Depot carry them so I'll buy some tomorrow and find out if they work. If they do work, how do you suggest I attach the pipe to the clips? Zip tie, fishing string?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there mortar between the stone? If so, the mortar will drill very easily with a masonry bit and you could insert plastic anchors in the holes. They could be painted to match the mortar and you wouldn't see them in the off season. Your challenge IMO will be to keep the bend in the HDPE at the arch.

Post Thanks / Like

Brick clips look like they would work..as long as the width of the stone is similar to bricks.

I supplement mine with hot-glue...found that on a mom's decorating site....hot glue will hold whatever you want, but at the end of the season it just peels right off..

I put my brick clips on, then squeeze some hot-glue under them to make sure they don't pop off.
    2018 plans: Finish what I didn't get done for 2016! (and 2017!)...almost caught up!

Post Thanks / Like

That is some very nice stone work on your home. If it me, I would build the arch free standing off the house. Assuming you want the HDPE up all year, if you build a narrow trellis, your two pine trees would hide the bottom and you could run some climbing vines or whatever for the top. You could easily tuck the HEPE in the trellis. This option also allows you to remove the HDPE (and trellis) with no damage to your home. Just a thought.