Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Falcon F16V2 + Expansion card + four x F8 Distro board enclosure builds

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Falcon F16V2 + Expansion card + four x F8 Distro board enclosure builds

Hey all,

Earlier this year I decided to move on from my J1SYS p12s and Advatek PixLite16 controllers, going in the direction of Falcon F4V2 and F16V2 controllers with the expansion card. Having 32 outputs coming from one controller case was more appealing to me than the 12 (p12s) or 16 (PixLite16) that I was getting out of my existing controllers, call it personal preference. The F4V2 controllers were for a new project where I wanted one controller per 4 foot x 7 foot window matrix unit controlling 1000 pixels.

Historically, I have used metal Wiegmann NEMA cases for all of my controller builds. They are heavy duty, but also very heavy and expensive. To put the 32 output F16V2 + Expansion into a case like that would have run well over $100. I also considered the Bud Industries cases, but that would have cost around $40-50 and would have been pretty tight. I saw someone mention the use of a toolbox and proceeded to survey the stores for what was available. I found one that I absolutely loved at Lowes, marked down from $27 to $19. It has a rubber seal around the entire closing lid area and a removable tool tray, with plenty of room on the inside for two or four power supplies, the F16V2, the expansion card, four F8 Distro boards, and the kitchen sink. I run 5V lights, so the F8 Distro boards are a must for me. I bought five of the Lowes Kobalt Zerust 22-inch toolboxes (Model 9222KB) and away I went.

The pictures below cover the build that I did. Some details: I use 1.5 meter, 13.5mm diameter pigtails from Ray Wu. I buy all of my light strings with the pigtails already soldered on, so these are what I need. The cables glands I use come from Cable Ties & More, the big ones (that can pass 16 cables through) are the NPT 1-1/4 size. I use RJ-45 waterproof feedthroughs that I get from Ray. I used to use the RJ45-ECS model, but was not happy with the limited length of the cable section for the size of this case. Ray's allow you use a separate piece of CAT5 cable in the case and I bought 18" lenghts from Amazon. I get all of my Nylon standoffs and screws / nuts from Amazon. I borrowed the approach for labeling cables from another local light enthusiast. Electrical wiring labels from Home Depot with clear shrink tube to protect the label. Great idea Dave! I chose to mount the power supplies on the bottom of the tool tray as there are room for up to four. Since I run mostly a single string of 100 lights per output, and I run 5V lights, I didn't feel I needed four power supplies... although this case would support it easily as you can see in the pictures. I chose 1/8" thick black ABS available on eBay to mount all of the controllers and such, again, another great recommendation from Dave (stallionent). There's also a single Bud Industries vent on either side of the case with the option to mount a fan on one end (not decided if I'm going to do that yet).

I think that's it, thanks for looking. Let me know of any questions.

-Louie

2. Likes jimbo3301 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Falcon F16V2 + Expansion card + four x F8 Distro board enclosure builds

No pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Falcon F16V2 + Expansion card + four x F8 Distro board enclosure builds

Last edited by nutz4lights; 10-04-2016 at 06:55 PM.

5. Likes bigbenamerika liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job and lots of room in the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4lights View Post
    Hey all,

Earlier this year I decided to move on from my J1SYS p12s and Advatek PixLite16 controllers, going in the direction of Falcon F4V2 and F16V2 controllers with the expansion card. Having 32 outputs coming from one controller case was more appealing to me than the 12 (p12s) or 16 (PixLite16) that I was getting out of my existing controllers, call it personal preference. The F4V2 controllers were for a new project where I wanted one controller per 4 foot x 7 foot window matrix unit controlling 1000 pixels.

Historically, I have used metal Wiegmann NEMA cases for all of my controller builds. They are heavy duty, but also very heavy and expensive. To put the 32 output F16V2 + Expansion into a case like that would have run well over $100. I also considered the Bud Industries cases, but that would have cost around $40-50 and would have been pretty tight. I saw someone mention the use of a toolbox and proceeded to survey the stores for what was available. I found one that I absolutely loved at Lowes, marked down from $27 to $19. It has a rubber seal around the entire closing lid area and a removable tool tray, with plenty of room on the inside for two or four power supplies, the F16V2, the expansion card, four F8 Distro boards, and the kitchen sink. I run 5V lights, so the F8 Distro boards are a must for me. I bought five of the Lowes Kobalt Zerust 22-inch toolboxes (Model 9222KB) and away I went.

The pictures below cover the build that I did. Some details: I use 1.5 meter, 13.5mm diameter pigtails from Ray Wu. I buy all of my light strings with the pigtails already soldered on, so these are what I need. The cables glands I use come from Cable Ties & More, the big ones (that can pass 16 cables through) are the NPT 1-1/4 size. I use RJ-45 waterproof feedthroughs that I get from Ray. I used to use the RJ45-ECS model, but was not happy with the limited length of the cable section for the size of this case. Ray's allow you use a separate piece of CAT5 cable in the case and I bought 18" lenghts from Amazon. I get all of my Nylon standoffs and screws / nuts from Amazon. I borrowed the approach for labeling cables from another local light enthusiast. Electrical wiring labels from Home Depot with clear shrink tube to protect the label. Great idea Dave! I chose to mount the power supplies on the bottom of the tool tray as there are room for up to four. Since I run mostly a single string of 100 lights per output, and I run 5V lights, I didn't feel I needed four power supplies... although this case would support it easily as you can see in the pictures. I chose 1/8" thick black ABS available on eBay to mount all of the controllers and such, again, another great recommendation from Dave (stallionent). There's also a single Bud Industries vent on either side of the case with the option to mount a fan on one end (not decided if I'm going to do that yet).

I think that's it, thanks for looking. Let me know of any questions.

-Louie
    I know this is an older thread and I'm sorry to bring it to the top. I plan on doing something similar but have a few questions. What did you use or what is the best way to cut the holes for the glands, vents ect. And secondly, how did you attach the ABS to the box? Is it flat on the bottom or raised a bit?

Thank you,
    Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ryan,

I have a hole saw kit made by Rigid sold at Home Depot that I use to cut holes with. I know some folks use step drills for smaller holes, but I pretty much use hole saws for everything. Don't try to buy them one at a time, too expensive. Buy a kit with a common centering bit.

My ABS is just sitting on the bottom... there is enough weight between the boards, wiring, and cabling that it doesn't budget... I don't flip it upside down or anything like that. I carry it by the handle.

-Louie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4lights View Post
    Hi Ryan,

I have a hole saw kit made by Rigid sold at Home Depot that I use to cut holes with. I know some folks use step drills for smaller holes, but I pretty much use hole saws for everything. Don't try to buy them one at a time, too expensive. Buy a kit with a common centering bit.

My ABS is just sitting on the bottom... there is enough weight between the boards, wiring, and cabling that it doesn't budget... I don't flip it upside down or anything like that. I carry it by the handle.

-Louie
    Louie,

Thanks so much for the information. I will look into it.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Louie,

One more question if I can. To me, it looks like you ran a jumper wire from one power supply to the other to only have one power cable for both supplies. Is this ok to do? I remember reading something in a wiki, somewhere, about not running them in line. Not sure if this was what it was talking about.

Thank you,
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

It's OK for the 120 V input power as long as the wires are sized properly for the current. It's not OK to connect the V+ outputs together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast