Thread: First Time Arch Builder

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Time Arch Builder

Building four driveway arches this year and going with 1" EMT for the structure. Was thinking about having four channels per arch and for ease of storage I was going to wrap 1 1/2 pvc in 2 foot increments to slide over the base structure instead of just wrapping the entire 1" EMT. Any thoughts or advice would be great. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Time Arch Builder

There is a how to filed here somewhere about arches with replaceable sections. I think it was 8 channel. And it was using mini lights but you could check out the construction. I don't remember if it's in the Wiki or files area.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

I think you would be disappointed with 4 channels... I don't think it would give the desired flowing movement. Consider changing to 8 channels.

Post Thanks / Like

The construction method that I found and followed was to use 10' - 1/2" PVC for the arch and 3/4" thinwall PVC for the sections, 8 sections @ 15", each will hold a 100 count minilight string.

With the EMT you will have to have it pre-formed in the arch shape and you may find it difficult to slide the 1-1/2" PVC, especially if you only have 4 segments (30" long, assuming a 10' emt). With the PVC you slide the sections on the core and then secure one end ( 12" rebar about 6-8" in the ground) and then bend the other end to a second rebar anchor about 6-7' away from the first. The PVC will flex fine and I have found that I do not need any additional support.

If you are concerned that @ 3/4" they won't be large enough, once you wrap the lights, they are about 2 - 2-1/2 across and w/ 100 minilights very bright.
    Last edited by Ruppro; 10-03-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    The construction method that I found and followed was to use 10' - 1/2" PVC for the arch and 3/4" thinwall PVC for the sections, 8 sections @ 15", each will hold a 100 count minilight string.

With the EMT you will have to have it pre-formed in the arch shape and you may find it difficult to slide the 1-1/2" PVC, especially if you only have 4 segments (30" long, assuming a 10' emt). With the PVC you slide the sections on the core and then secure one end ( 12" rebar about 6-8" in the ground) and then bend the other end to a second rebar anchor about 6-7' away from the first. The PVC will flex fine and I have found that I do not need any additional support.

If you are concerned that @ 3/4" they won't be large enough, once you wrap the lights, they are about 2 - 2-1/2 across and w/ 100 minilights very bright.
    My driveway is 16' across. My biggest concern was strength and flexibility. The emt seems to bend just fine. I did one test piece. Haven't wrapped it with lights yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I know pvc can be purchased in 20 foot lengths at some plumbing distributers. It might be long enough to get by.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

OK did not realize you were building an arch across your driveway, that is a big difference, not only in length of the arch but height to drive under. I think you were right to go the emt route. You could use 2 straight section of emt to get to a 6-8' height on each side then attach a curved arch piece between the uprights, they are going to need to have some guide wires or braces for support. I have seen one where at the top of the uprights they attacked 4 way connector and ran support braces between the arches and w/ an additional 45 elbow on the end ones, a brace to the ground.

The other issue to consider w/ emt is, its metal, and in wet weather could cause a ground short, (something I have to consider w/ my tomato cage minitrees) so you may want to see if you can find a insulate it. You may consider trying something like Flexseal (the stuff they hawk on TV, paint on screendoor in boat bottom and no leaks) and paint it on the emt (they have spary-on and brush-on) or Plasti Dip to provide an insulating barrier between the lights and the emt.

Quote Originally Posted by submarine guy View Post
    My driveway is 16' across. My biggest concern was strength and flexibility. The emt seems to bend just fine. I did one test piece. Haven't wrapped it with lights yet.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of painting on "insulation" go to a dollar store near you and purchase the floating Styrofoam tube "thingy" for less than a buck and slide them on the emt, also works great to insulate the water lines in the crawlspace of your house, no one can see the color under the house.

BillW

9. Thanks Ruppro thanked for this post
    Likes Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillW View Post
    Instead of painting on "insulation" go to a dollar store near you and purchase the floating Styrofoam tube "thingy" for less than a buck and slide them on the emt, also works great to insulate the water lines in the crawlspace of your house, no one can see the color under the house.

BillW
    Mine recently had theirs on sale for $0.18 apiece, knew I needed them for something, should have grabbed the box full. lol
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas