Thread: Video NOOB question - How To? Show Computer (Vixen 3.x) -> FPP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Video NOOB question - How To? Show Computer (Vixen 3.x) -> FPP

Ok, I have been scouring the various forums and can't seem to find out how to do this so I am going to ask here...

What I want to do is have Vixen 3.x on my show computer which right now is driving various Renard, PX1, etc. controllers both wirelessly and wired. What I want to do is add video this year and have various videos run on the FPP triggered by Vixen on the show computer. How do I do this? Is there already a forum thread/wiki/??? that outlines the setup?

What I don't want to do is run the show from FPP. I have different shows every night and don't want to convert them all, upload them, then re-upload and change them every night or every time I need to make a change.

Is there a way to upload the video to the FPP, then call the FPP from the show computer to trigger a specific video to play. I anticipate having the audio files on the show computer as that is what is driving the speakers and FM transmitter, and I am ok with uploading the videos to the FPP.

Any and all ideas/help/links would be greatly appreciated!
    "For those who say it cannot be done..... Get out of the way of those that are doing it!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Video NOOB question - How To? Show Computer (Vixen 3.x) -> FPP

I don't know about the Vixen3 side but there is s sample script in the FPP script repository for playing a video. You can install and edit the sample to run your video. You can then trigger this script via a HTTP call. There is another sample script in the script repo for running a remote script. This script had the URL format you will need to use to have Vixen3 trigger the video playback script on the Pi.

As a side note, we had some conversations at the Christmas Expo this summer between the FPP and Vixen3 developers. Part of these conversations centered around how to better integrate FPP with other sequencers/players like Vixen3, so hopefully we will have easier integration for things like this in 2017.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Video NOOB question - How To? Show Computer (Vixen 3.x) -> FPP

Thank you Captain. Being a total NOOB to Pi and FPP, which scripts are they that you have referenced? Also, is there a how-to on installing/using scripts from the repo?
    "For those who say it cannot be done..... Get out of the way of those that are doing it!"