Thread: how much can I mess with the arch aspect ratio and still have look good

Post Thanks / Like

Default how much can I mess with the arch aspect ratio and still have look good

I was all set to build my arches. Got 10M of smart pix strips, going to divide into 4 aches. This would put me at around 5' spacing for the arches and with a height of 2.5'. Getting the tape measure out, 2.5' for a height is not so good. If I space the arches at 4', can bring the height up to 3.2'.

What spacing/height do you build your arches?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how much can I mess with the arch aspect ratio and still have look good

As much as you want. There is no "correct" ratio. We all like what we like. Many go for tall arches. I don't like them. Reminds me too much of McDonalds arches. I like low hoppy looking arches. Thats MY preference. What do YOU like? Thats the arch you need to make. Not what I made. Not what someone else made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how much can I mess with the arch aspect ratio and still have look good

Wolfie is right, it is all a personal preference. My arches are not half circles but chords. I've never measured my height or width at the bottom. I use paracord at the bottom to pull the ends together so I just tighten up the paracord until I think it looks right. Then I make all the other arches match the first one. I've seen them really low and tall enough that I could almost walk under them. What is your preference, that is what counts.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

I'll chime in, I like the large half circles. But as stated above it's what "you" like. Or maybe the space you have to fill. Or some people have them at the front of the display right by the road and want smaller ones that don't block other display items. Others are at the back and need to be larger to not be hidden by other display items. So there can be more to it, if "you" want.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total