Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Setup Time Line/Am I Behind?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setup Time Line/Am I Behind?

I am wondering what everyones setup time frame looks like? Are all your 2016 sequences finished? Are all your 2016 projects completed? Have you already started putting things out?

I have what to me is a LONG list of things to get done between now and Thanksgiving. I am starting to stress as I dont think I will get my sequences done and all my light projects completed. I am also completely gutting my kitchen so my time is mostly going there but I hope to have that done by mid October and then I can make a HUGE push from then to Thanksgiving to get everything completed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Setup Time Line/Am I Behind?

Yes you are behind, but you are not alone. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about anyone else, but I almost always wait until last couple of weeks to light that fire under my ass to get things done. I need the pressure to really concentrate on what I am doing.
    Phil

4. Likes scootchu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I started 2016 in Dec 2015. I have most of my stuff done. Sequences are done and I will be starting to put up lights next week. I should be ready for opening by end of November (just barely).

Many people try to start at this time of the year. The best suggestions I have for you are: do what you can, do NOT kill yourself (remember this is supposed to be fun), stay in budget (ya right), and remember, next year is coming fast and you can make your display better once you have had a feel for how long this stuff really takes (different for every person). There is really no way for someone to tell you that "It is not a problem, you can get that done". You will only find out how much you can do by doing it. We all work at different speeds. For some, sequencing is a snap, for others (like me) it can take a long time. For some, fabrication is easy, for others you have to figure out what tools you need before you can even consider fabricating something.

Short answer: Lay out a simple plan and make one element at a time. What is done by show time is what you have in your show. Some have started as late as the first of November and have had a show. It can be done. Just remember: Enjoy yourself.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

6. Likes lightsonmontague liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are not alone. I'm afraid I won't make it. I still pixels to order and money is tight which is why I have not gotten. Might be too late now. I am still learning so that isn't helping my cause one darn bit. I was so hoping for a colorful show this year. Just can't decide on a layout (non-pixels) so I can't sequence. And I have much to learn in regards to xLights. I just have to accept the fact that it's a no go this year I guess.
    Dean
    [url]www.brooksfamilylights.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deanathpc View Post
    You are not alone. I'm afraid I won't make it. I still pixels to order and money is tight which is why I have not gotten. Might be too late now. I am still learning so that isn't helping my cause one darn bit. I was so hoping for a colorful show this year. Just can't decide on a layout (non-pixels) so I can't sequence. And I have much to learn in regards to xLights. I just have to accept the fact that it's a no go this year I guess.
    Put up one strip at your door. You will learn a lot from doing just that bit. Just one light is a first step and a show. Next year you can have more. Keep in mind the group buys are held in January and February. Lay out what you want in December and order your lights and controllers when the group buys come up.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

9. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year, I started in November and was my first year. I purchased my first hardware mid November. I was still constructing things late December. I was learning sequencing mid-late november but started tinkering early November with Vixen just poking around. My last sequence was finished mid December along with most of the construction.

This year....
    I have done no Christmas sequencing, I am working on Halloween. I pre-ordered many pieces in Feb. One box just arrived first of Sept. Others were delivered July-Aug. I am in full construction mode designing and building but am also learning xLights and beginning to sequence.

My focus is to try to come up with display elements that are usable for both Halloween and Christmas or that can be converted quickly and simply in November. My goal is to have the majority of the physical props out for Halloween. I was fortunate last year in that weather held before Christmas and allowed me to do more than I had expected to get done.

I have completed 3 sequences for Halloween but I re-visit them as I come up with new elements for the display.

I have stripped down my megatree from last year and basically scrapped it totally. Pixels used for GD12's halloween costume (see below). Floods from last year are being replaced by RobG's boards.

I have designed and printed PixaBulb holders (50) that will allow me to mount them in carved pumpkins.

These, of course, serve no Christmas purpose and will be removed and stored in November.

My panels are hooked up and I designed and pritned clips to hold them together for my Tune To sign. I have the software written and the Arduino Uno programmed ready to go.

My intention is to have it mounted in a plexiglass box hanging from a tree branch. If that doesn't get done, it will be in the front bay window.

I have one arch set complete, wired and tested. I have all the pipe cut and fitted for the second but not wired as yet. All the toppers are 3D printed and done. I have one pumpkin topper printed and may use it instead of the flame topper for Halloween. It will take under a minute to swap them in November.

I have constructed, wired and tested my 4' spider web that will be used for Halloween and as a spinner for Christmas.

If time permits, a second web will be constructed prior to Halloween. If not, hopefully in November and it will go out when the spooky eyes come in.

I have 2 Falcon F16V2s mounted with a PSU each in CG-1500 boxes. I also have mounted 2 PSUs in another 1500 ready to go out. One F16 is upstairs in the computer room so I can see while I sequence. The other is in the basement on the bench where I solder/wire and is used for testing during and after construction.

I have wired and tested 4 Chroma Bulbs. I made my first ever sequence with singing faces:

These will go out for Halloween and will have white shower curtains draped over them like a hoodie and will look like ghosts with faces for Halloween. In November, I simply remove the white shower curtains to convert from ghost to bulbs.

I have assembled and tested one RobG 10w floodlight (WS2811 model). My plan was to build 5 of them and spread them across the roof edge. But, I saw Sporadic's halloween video and I am going to assemble all 10 that I ordered and the additional 5 will go on the ground and wash the house. 10 housings from eBay should arrive today and I can begin gutting them and test fitting the first floodlight board. Assembly of the other 9 boards will wait until the first unit is complete in case I have to make any modifications.

I assembled and tested 10 Spooky Eyes (boscoyo) that will go in the large hedge for halloween. These don't really serve for Christmas so will come down and stored in November.

Two of the 3 Rasberry Pi's are mounted and software installd (FPP) ready for the show. Still need another WiFi dongle and the master Pi will be ready to mount in an enclosure outdoors.

Meanwhile, I have designed from scratch, learned to weld, constructed, wired and tested a fully mobile disco ball Halloween costume for GD12:

I intend for it to be WiFi controlled when its near my home and will be part of the overall display while she is out in the yard. It will be used as a Christmas ball for Christmas and we may have her out handing out candy canes in it.

Labor day weekend I removed the hedges in front of the house to allow more room for lights and easier access to the eves. I began design and printing of gutter clips that will hold the re-built eve lights from last year. I also began layout for the new megatree/pumpkin for this year.

This past weekend, I welded the pipe joints and rebar that will be inside my Portable Hole II (Wolfie Version). Because it rained all day Saturday, I didn't get to it until Sunday so concrete didn't get poured but should happen this week.

Still remaining to do:
    Additional PSU mounting.
    Enclosure supports.
    Build/wire/test megatree.
    Pour concrete for Portable Hole II
    Build ASAP pole.
    Design/build hoops that will make the megatree a pumpkin.
    Desgn/build/wire pumpkin stem topper for megatree
    Finish 2nd arch set.
    Finish eve pixel conversion (from 1x2 to 1/2" pvc)
    Construct and mount 9 more RobG floods
    Enclosure for P10 panels.
    Finish master Raspberry Pi.
    Build frame to hold first Spiderweb
    Construct second spiderweb and frame (if time permits).
    Design/build mounts for the 5 roof floods that attach to gutter.
    Build/Wire DMX>SSR box to control blowups and P10 sign.
    Build/Wire another DMX>SSR and mod smoke machines for DMX triggering of smoke machines. (if time permits)
    Everything else I forgot.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a lot done, still have a lot to do. Have just barely stare sequencing for the new songs - we still have last years songs that have all be converted over toed the new layout/profile.

Got one more controller to build - somehow I planned to use 1 more than I actually have and only just now noticed it!

Then I did just start getting lights/props out of storage so I can test and start staging them so I can start putting them up in a couple weeks. I was hoping to have a subset of Christmas lights in use as Halloween props (like Mini-tree Ghosts). That still remains questionable...

Jimboha

PS I've been googling the web high and low looking for a way to buy more hours in a day...
    Springville, Utah

Post Thanks / Like

It's not about if your ahead or behind schedule. As stated above, this is supposed to be fun. I try to setup a "pre-planned" show and then add new things to it each week. Mother nature doesn't always let you do what you want when you want to do it. In Wisconsin it's a crap shoot. Put supports in the ground before it's frozen and figure out where all the wires will be strung. The problem I have is I keep watching videos of other peoples lights and I go off on a tangent. Like the unplanned spider web I completed yesterday during the Packer game. Just have fun!
    Last edited by RogerH; 09-12-2016 at 03:14 PM.

13. Likes Wolfie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty I will probably get everything done. I'm not stressing over it that is for sure. I have all elements from last year still so I could do a show.

I made the mistake last year by saying I would have a new pixel mega tree running this year while being interviewed by the local newspaper. So.... I am at least trying.
    Dean
    [url]www.brooksfamilylights.com[/url]

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast