Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not fadeing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not fadeing

So got a 8 ch ssr. I was told some where that I'd be able to fade lights with it. So far it only turns on and then off. Any ideas? I could be wrong about the fading part

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Not fadeing

What type of SSR? What type of controller?

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    What type of SSR? What type of controller?
    It's a low level eight channel relay and I'm running it with vixen on falcon pi player
    This is the link for the relay I bought
    https://www.amazon.com/Anycubic-8-Ch...=8+channel+ssr

Post Thanks / Like

That relay needs an additional controller to drive it. FYI: That relay has a built in Zero Cross circuit. This means you cannot (easily) use it for dimming. It is an on/off type of device designed to be driven by an arduino type device.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    That relay needs an additional controller to drive it. FYI: That relay has a built in Zero Cross circuit. This means you cannot (easily) use it for dimming. It is an on/off type of device designed to be driven by an arduino type device.
    It worked fine when I used the gpio pins it just won't dim. So if I got a non zero cross would I be able to do dimming through the gpio pins

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you would. Then you could send out a timed pulse to trigger the SSR at various parts of the AC cycle so you get almost any brightness you like. NOTE: I suggest you look into a controller that knows how to do dimming. You can get a list of them on the wiki. My favorite is the Renard series of controllers.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they are zero-cross Solid State Relays, so they won't dim/fade. Just on/off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by holtm View Post
    Looks like they are zero-cross Solid State Relays, so they won't dim/fade. Just on/off
    So I'd need to get one that can cross

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, non zero cross or random cross.

Very brief explaination...
    The Solid State Relays (actually the opto-isolators in them) come in zero-cross and random-cross. Zero-cross means it only activates the Traic when the AC voltage is zero. This keeps the voltage AC wave from being chopped and is advantageous when noise on the circuit could cause problems. Random-cross will turn the Triac on at anytime and will allow a partial wave, this is how we dim the circuit, turn it on for a portion of the AC voltage wave and off again at the next zero.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, so you don't end up with an item that doesn't do as you expect again, if you look at the part number on the relays G3MB 202P. You need the G3MB 202PL the P is zero crossing the PL is non zero crossing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast