Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with new printer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with new printer.

Hey folks I got a new #D printer for my birthday and I got it assembled yesterday.
    https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.co...usa-i3-diy-kit
    Anyway I got the driver installed and Repetier. I can move XYZ and downloaded the simple calibration cube, but I have run into a couple of snags. My bed won't heat up and Repetier gets stuck on heating extruder.

Is there a good video tutorial that goes from the basics. I am afraid I am in midstream.

2. Likes Robo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help with new printer.

I would start with pronterface, it is very straight forward and easy to start with when testing axis, hotend, bed heating etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj0R2RxSZco
    That is a quick overview...
    It is my go to for quick tests and to extrude when I am doing some calibrations.
    Grab it here: https://github.com/kliment/Printrun
    Just out of curiosity, did you install Repetier from USB/disk that came with printer or did you download it?
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded it since the files that came with the printer, assembly and user pdf's seemed to be corrupt. Chinese directions and half of them make for a long day.
    My Ramps 1.4 board shows no voltage at the bed terminals and the LED isn't on either, while the extruder LED light is on. When it comes to the firmware. Do I have to change anything? Also is it changed with IDE?

Post Thanks / Like

Well having the power supply set to 220v may be the reason. Let me see if it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's the problem buddy, you got the clown's switch set from "good" to "evil" . All working now. Just have to get the hang of all of this. My first cube didn't stick to the tape using PLA.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure your z stop height is correct, should be able to slightly move a piece of printer paper back and forth under the extruder after homing the z axis

Post Thanks / Like

I did calibrate the bed with the paper and 4 points. It wouldn't stick to the masking tape that was free. I have blue painter's tape somewhere. I am trying some hair spray.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the tape surface is clean... I wipe down with alcohol immediately before printing.

Certainly blue tape is stickier than ordinary tape. But the nozzle height (and flatness and levelness of the bed) are more important. The first layer should be smooshed out between the nozzle and bed.

Post Thanks / Like

I found Blue painters' tape to work great but you have to make sure you don't overlap when you apply it.
    I am using glass from an old picture frame and cheapie hairspray (works way better than tape).
    Don't apply hairspray on the tape, that only works on glass.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    I found Blue painters' tape to work great but you have to make sure you don't overlap when you apply it.
    I am using glass from an old picture frame and cheapie hairspray (works way better than tape).
    Don't apply hairspray on the tape, that only works on glass.

Ive been much happier with glass, mainly for cleaning purposes. Plus everytime I used to change tape I always managed to throw the bed off and had to level it again. I also have several pieces of glass so if I am printing larger items, when it is finished I simply take it off and put on a different piece of glass and can continue printing a new piece while the old one cools. Overall tape was too much of a hassle for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast